User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Compressor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I think the 12v is the way to go since most of the use I will not have shore power. I've seen the Viair compressor on amazon, they seem to have good reviews.
    As others have mentioned, go with the Viair. I have the 400P and am very happy with it.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To properly spec out an air compressor...you gotta know what the requirements are or what you're going to use it for. Do you want to inflate tires while camping or run a die grinder to work on the camper? If you want just an inflator for tires/bags, or the Lippert hitch.....then I would agree with @huntindog and would suggest a tool that runs off the same batteries as the cordless drill/impact which is likely already packed with the tools. If you want to run tools that spin...it's all about the CFM. I plan to get that same Rigid Tire Inflator that @huntindog mentioned and will also use one of my many 18V Rigid batteries. Hard to beat the warranty on the Rigid tools and batteries and it takes up limited weight and space in the storage compartments. The Rigid inflator will run off standard 12v car batteries with the alligator clips or the 18V Lithium tool batteries. I have several compressors at home and in my shop...each has a different purpose.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dewalt makes a 20v Max inflator that also runs on 12v DC and 120v AC for $140 at Lowes. No idea how good it is, but worth a second look.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-110-...ric/1000632717
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have two compressors. I have a DeWalt 120V pancake compressor (six gallon), that I take along and store it in the garage of the T.H. If it is needed, I can fire up the onboard generator to operate it, or of course if I'm plugged into shore power I can use that. I also have a 12V Viair installed on the truck, as there might be times where I don't have the trailer hooked up and I'm just driving the truck. The one in the truck powers my Air Horns as well as having a quick connect fitting and 30' of air hose that will reach the front and rear tires, plus the Airlift 7500 air bags I have installed. I should be pretty well covered under about any circumstance....hopefully.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I bought the cheap Harbor Freight 100 lb version of the Vlair, since I didn't know how much use I would get out of it. Turns out to be the right investment. I fire up the big one at home for bigger jobs, but that entails dragging it out, uncoiling hoses, listen to the noise while it pressurizes, bleeding the tank at the end, stowing away again, etc. Things like airing up all the truck tires to 80lbs, blowing out the lines, winterizing my sprinklers and pool, construction projects, etc.

Use the 12v when it is just easier to do so - top off a single tire, bike tires, inflatable toys, etc. It would never be a replacement for the bigger one, but fits the minimal uses I put it to. A step up from my bicycle pump. It might take forever to fully inflate a flat truck tire, but that is something I've never had to consider. And in the few times I've winterized the trailer on the road, I skip blowing out and just pump antifreeze through everything. About 10 yrs now, and I haven't regretted going cheap....
    Perhaps if I used it more often, the better quality of the Vlair may be worth it.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Viair 450 RV model. It does a good job, but it can be slow getting 4 tires to 110 PSI.

I bought a different style air chuck for mine because the chuck that came with the Viair didn't work on my dually wheels (see link below).

I also did not like the battery clamps that came with it, so, I cut them off and installed a 7-pin connector so I could simply plug it in to my truck. However, my truck has a computer that won't turn on the 12v at the 7-pin connector unless it senses the electric brakes. Consequently, I installed a dedicated 7-pin on my truck that is powered by the up-fitter switches that supplies 12v whenever I want it.

Eventually I intend to install a 7-pin receptacle on the camper so I can just power the Viair (and any other 12v accessory I add a 7-pin to) without the truck.

Link to my Commercial style air gauge and chuck: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I have the Viair 450 RV model. It does a good job, but it can be slow getting 4 tires to 110 PSI.

I bought a different style air chuck for mine because the chuck that came with the Viair didn't work on my dually wheels (see link below).

I also did not like the battery clamps that came with it, so, I cut them off and installed a 7-pin connector so I could simply plug it in to my truck. However, my truck has a computer that won't turn on the 12v at the 7-pin connector unless it senses the electric brakes. Consequently, I installed a dedicated 7-pin on my truck that is powered by the up-fitter switches that supplies 12v whenever I want it.

Eventually I intend to install a 7-pin receptacle on the camper so I can just power the Viair (and any other 12v accessory I add a 7-pin to) without the truck.

Link to my Commercial style air gauge and chuck: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have an inflator that is similar to that one except it's a Milton brand. Works great for the Dually setup on my truck with the valve extenders.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the 450 RVS. I had this portable unit from Porter Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It worked fine, but I needed to plug it in. I store my camper at a facility with no power hook-ups, and this became an issue. Too many times wanting to add a few pounds of air before hitting the road.

As others have said, the VIAIR is not fast. My tires max PSI is 110; I do get there, but takes longer. Only a couple of minutes longer, and that couple of minutes can feel like forever; but it gets there.

Having access to that capability when my only power source is the truck makes this compressor the right one for me.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    Dewalt makes a 20v Max inflator that also runs on 12v DC and 120v AC for $140 at Lowes. No idea how good it is, but worth a second look.

It's an excellent inflator, but makes the most sense if you already have Dewalt cordless tools and have the batteries on hand. You can find it cheaper than that price, I got mine for right at $100, which was a major attraction.

Just an FYI, the 120V plug in is an option. It only comes with a 12V cigarette lighter adapter cord. I've never even uncoiled mine, as the batteries are completely sufficient.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 01-25-2023 at 08:23 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post

Another vote for the DeWalt compressor, It's light, handy, and works very well on the RV tires (120 psi). You set the pressure and walk away to do other stuff. By the time I'm hooked up, all the tires are topped off if necessary. No hoses or wires to fuss with. I have several of the DeWalt 20v Max tools including a drill, sabre saw, circ saw, multisaw, blower, work light, and floodlight. The compressor is great but the work light (DCL050) is top notch, probably my most used tool.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast