User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tampa Fl. to Grand Canyon Advice

Tossing the idea of traveling from Tampa Fl. to Flagstaff/Page AZ. Any tips, dos/don'ts that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2019 6.7 F250
    2020 Grand Design 28BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in St. Pete and when traveling out of FL it always seem to take forever to reach the border, then later in life I drove across Texas. Sorry, don't really have any good tips. Have a good trip and stop and see White Sands if you can.
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the time frame for your trip? You could spend 3 or 4 months on a trip like that and still not see all of the sights along the way, or you could highball it out there and back.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eg1520 View Post
    Tossing the idea of traveling from Tampa Fl. to Flagstaff/Page AZ. Any tips, dos/don'ts that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2019 6.7 F250
    2020 Grand Design 28BH
    How much time do you have and what route are you taking?

We have planned a trip starting from south Texas to Flagstaff/Williams AZ Grand Canyon South Rim starting in May with multiple day stops in Big Bend National Park in Texas and Albuquerque NM, . We also built in time while in AZ to visit Sadona.

At the most we travel 300 miles a day, any more and it gets real tiring. We get to our stop over camping spots early evening so we get parked and set up before dark then relax from the days driving. Then again we are retired and fulltimers so we are not in a hurry. Fuel Diesel availability is no problem and right now the cost @ $4 gal. We use RV Life Trip Wizard to plan all our trips, our fuel stops and have confirmed reservations at campgrounds all ready made. Out west in AZ just be aware of the water shortage due to drought. I have not heard of any availability problems but just be aware of it.

That's about all I can offer right now without knowing more about your route and timeframe for your trip.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What time of year are you planning to take this trip? If before late spring, I would stick to I-10 until Deming, NM, then take US 180/191 through NM up to I-40 on into Flagstaff (A gorgeous drive, but you could still run into some winter weather as you move north and into the mountains as late as mid-April). Along that route, there are San Antonio, El Paso, Las Cruces, and Silver City - all places with lots to see (Houston is not on my list of favorite places). Use RV Trip Wizard to plan your route and find places to stay. Use Trip Advisor to find things to see and do each place you're going to do more than just stop for the night to sleep. There are two more northern routes if you're talking about summertime... but then you have tornado season to contend with.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    What time of year are you planning to take this trip? If before late spring, I would stick to I-10 until Deming, NM, then take US 180/191 through NM up to I-40 on into Flagstaff (A gorgeous drive, but you could still run into some winter weather as you move north and into the mountains as late as mid-April). Along that route, there are San Antonio, El Paso, Las Cruces, and Silver City - all places with lots to see (Houston is not on my list of favorite places). Use RV Trip Wizard to plan your route and find places to stay. Use Trip Advisor to find things to see and do each place you're going to do more than just stop for the night to sleep. There are two more northern routes if you're talking about summertime... but then you have tornado season to contend with.

Rob
    Rob, LOL's I don't like Houston either.
    But I would take from I10, highway 124 south from Winnie down to highway 87 to the Bolivar Peninsula, then take the ferry over to Galveston for a few days. Of course we are partial to Galveston. From there take I45 up to Beltway 8 or the Sam Houston Tollway around Houston back to I10 and then over to San Antonio and points west.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eg1520 View Post

Thanks,

2019 6.7 F250
    2020 Grand Design 28BH
    Been there - done that a lot.

I know what you mean about taking so long to get out of FL. We leave from the Space Coast and spend one night at A Stone's Throw RV Park
    97 Cumberland Dr, Lamont, FL 32336.

I hate Dallas & a lot of the TX roads. So this is what we'll do this year after we leave Gulf State Park, AL on our way to CO....
    > Springridge Mobile Estates & RV Park, 499 Springridge Road, Clinton, MS 39056
    > Darrell Brannon RV Park, 31 Brannon Landing Rd, Conway, AR 72032
    > Lake El Reno Campground, 1401 S. Babcock Dr, El Reno, OK 73036
    > Big Texan RV Ranch, 1414 Sunrise Dr, Amarillo, TX 79104

From Amarillo we use I-40 to Alburquerque, then depending on our wants & desires we go to Page via Farmington, NM or Flagstaff, AZ.

We stop 2 nights in Amarillo, get a steak at the Big Texan one night, and tour Palo Duro Canyon one day. After driving a for a few days straight we find this a nice place to catch our breath.

There isn't anything we want to see or do on the way to Amarillo.

You might find something to do in Albuquerque, we run up to Bandolier NM; you can try Santa Fe too. Flagstaff has the Wupatki NM which is a full day to see it all, we like that.

We've stayed up to 10 days in Page and weren't bored. In fact we stayed a few more days along Hwy 89 and got a guide to take us out into Whitepocket & some of the area around there. If hiking is your thing there is lots to do along the Paria area.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 01-25-2023 at 11:48 AM. Reason: fixed name of canyon
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you mean Palo Duro canyon in Amarillo? Pretty cool.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just west of San Antonio is Kerrville. Enjoyed a stay at the Buckhorn RV Park and a visit to the rather amazing world war 2 museum in Fredericksburg.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Did you mean Palo Duro canyon in Amarillo? Pretty cool.
    yep - fixed it. thanks.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast