User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    2wd is for passenger sedans and CUVs. Truck needs 4wd. 2wd truck is like buying a swiss army knife but not including the scissors, tweezers, or toothpick.
    Now, let's not get carried away. I've never needed 4 WD in the 17+ years I've been towing. My truck is mostly for towing my trailer. Why buy a swiss army knife if all you need is a pair of tweezers?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Now, let's not get carried away. I've never needed 4 WD in the 17+ years I've been towing. My truck is mostly for towing my trailer. Why buy a swiss army knife if all you need is a pair of tweezers?
    Fair weather campers for sure do not need 4x4.
    I absolutly love nasty weather especially when I am hunting. As a storm approaches 99% of the people leave the woods. When the storm is over the hunting is incredible.I wish I could thank them all in person. It is awesome having the woods to yourself. Of course that means we have to be prepared to handle any obstacles that come our way as there is nobody to help.. Having 4x4 is one of the ways we are prepared.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To each their own, but I live in Arizona and use my 4wd at least once a month, including backing the RV up to it's parking spot at the end of a gravel slope, and launching/retrieving my boat on a slick ramp without becoming one of those guys who ends up on Instagram with a sunken truck.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, 4WD vs 2Wd discussions usually get pretty heated, with the 2WD guys saying "Hey I don't need it enough to justify it", and the 4WD guys tend to get a bit rabid about how you can't live without it, and can't get around, and it's necessary for this, and necessary for that. I don't need it, and never have, and that works for me.

And that's my final word on the whole argument. Almost as bad as gas vs diesel, Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy, and Harley's vs everything else. And FWIW, I'm usually in the minority on all fronts.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 01-25-2023 at 04:07 PM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought of 4WD as more of a luxury when it comes to towing - that was until I had it. Now I find it to be a necessity. My Reflection lives on a pad next to the garage which requires backing up a relatively steep driveway at a significant angle. I purchased an aftermarket 2 wheel low range lock kit that offers low range power without the dangerous wheel hop of 4WD. When I back up the driveway now, I can pretty much idle all the way up. I find that I use that feature whenever I back any of my trailers up. The 4x4 option has also allowed me to significantly expand my camping options.

The downside - 4x4 plus diesel equals significantly less payload capacity.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I camp in the great PNW and find 4wd unnecessary 99% of the time. The 1% I do I find a way with my 2wd to get er done. Never not been able to get in a a spot with 2wd.
    No point in pushing a front diff around when you only need it once every 2-3 years. No maintenance of the front driveline. If I camped where it was necessary then I'd have it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "...... I was wondering about the need of 4 wheel drive as a general need to pull off the road for a night or 2 while boondocking and maybe state and BLM lands......"

This ^^ was the OPs question - almost 2 years ago; and I don't think he ever commented since then. So not sure he is going to see this new advice/comments/suggestions.

None-the-less, I have a comment about 2x4 vs 4x4 for those who might pick up on this thread....

My first truck for towing (a 2020, F250, 2x4) was impossible to re-sell in '06 on my own because it was 'only' a 2x4. I ended up just trading it on the new truck. Now, for me, 4 trucks later, I always opt for 4x4 - and I live in FL! So I like to remind potential buyers to think about trade-in value/desire along with usage.

And since the OP was going to go off road out west (BLM, etc.) I think a 4x4 would be a smart choice. I use (and need) my 4x4 a lot when out west when off road touring (without the rig in tow). And the snow always seems to find me even in the early and late summer months so it works for me then too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, 4WD vs 2Wd discussions usually get pretty heated, with the 2WD guys saying "Hey I don't need it enough to justify it", and the 4WD guys tend to get a bit rabid about how you can't live without it, and can't get around, and it's necessary for this, and necessary for that. I don't need it, and never have, and that works for me.

And that's my final word on the whole argument. Almost as bad as gas vs diesel, Dodge vs Ford vs Chevy, and Harley's vs everything else. And FWIW, I'm usually in the minority on all fronts.
    I can totally see your points on most of the items.....it comes down to requirements for some of the questions and personal preference for others. For those of us that camp mostly off grid, hunt, or use our tow vehicles for something other than highway trips and traveling.....of course we are going to insist that 4x4 is a must-have. For those that don't use their vehicle in that manner....not having it is probably no big deal! I live in a snow state and always camp off the grid in some pretty wed, muddy, rocky, and rough terrain. I would never leave the pavement without a 4x4 and AT or off-road tires but I understand that many don't use their camper that way. To each his own. The diesel vs gas argument is also somewhat based on requirements although there can be tangible and monetary benefits associated with each choice. As far as truck brand of the big three----that is nearly all preference based on options available, comfort, tech, price, resale value, and whatever else the buying triggers are.
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 01-26-2023 at 02:15 PM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    I thought of 4WD as more of a luxury when it comes to towing - that was until I had it. Now I find it to be a necessity. My Reflection lives on a pad next to the garage which requires backing up a relatively steep driveway at a significant angle. I purchased an aftermarket 2 wheel low range lock kit that offers low range power without the dangerous wheel hop of 4WD. When I back up the driveway now, I can pretty much idle all the way up. I find that I use that feature whenever I back any of my trailers up. The 4x4 option has also allowed me to significantly expand my camping options.

The downside - 4x4 plus diesel equals significantly less payload capacity.
    I'm totally in the 4x4 camp and with you on the backing up. I'm intrigued....what is the 2 wheel low range lock kit? I use my GMC to back up very steep inclines pushing my old 16K lb Montana all the time. Two wheel drive would be worthless in those situations. The diesel power band and front wheel drive axle weight along with the 4x4 make it easy peasy to do this work.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You HAVE to have 4 wheel drive, AMZOIL is the best oil, and Cummins Dodges are the best trucks! Anybody that disagrees is a _______. So there. End of discussion...lol

TBH...I have no idea why so many people want 4x4....Most don't ever come close to really using it.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast