Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro Guide AGM Battery

This battery does not have regular battery posts. It has bolts that screws into the battery. I need to see if I can recharge this. Do I connect the charger to the bolts? I can't seem to find any info on this battery model. If it does not charge what type of battery should I get. This is a new battery that ran down after I turned off the solar disconnect. I want to see if I can recharge it before buying another one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery.jpg  
    Last edited by reubenray; 12-12-2023 at 04:35 AM.
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of Pro-Guide but, but ya, connect the charger to the bolt heads
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
    This battery does not have regular battery posts. It has bolts that screws into the battery. I need to see if I can recharge this. Do I connect the charger to the bolts? I can't seem to find any info on this battery model. If it does not charge what type of battery should I get. This is a new battery that ran down after I turned off the solar disconnect. I want to see if I can recharge it before buying another one.
    You can also buy screw in posts - https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...tery+posts#srp

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many brands/types come with these terminals. Even both my very old AGM batteries, and the new replacements I have in my boat. It should have come with the bolts - either installed, or in a baggie in the box. Metric threads, but bolt diameter varies from brand to brand. Get replacements at the hardware store - just make sure that they aren't too long to fully tighten down. Get some washers and lock washers too. Stainless is best.
    You can then have the bolts installed, and clip your charger to the bolts for temporary charging. The wire terminations will need to be heavy duty ring type - find those that have a wide ring, not the skinny found in most big box stores.
    I have seen for sale in random places, traditional posts that just screw in, to be used with the automobile type clamp on terminals. You'll need to know the metric size of the bolt hole before buying, though.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
    Might take it to an auto parts store and have them test it prior to purchasing any additional hardware. The biggies (autozone, oriellys, advanced) will do it for free.

If it checks out... then would purchase the hardware. Might include some quick connects leads that can be installed on the new posts to use a battery tender for future preventive discharge maint. We do it on our OEM Interstate battery when stored under cover and still shows fully charged without issues after 4 years.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Might take it to an auto parts store and have them test it prior to purchasing any additional hardware. The biggies (autozone, oriellys, advanced) will do it for free.

If it checks out... then would purchase the hardware. Might include some quick connects leads that can be installed on the new posts to use a battery tender for future preventive discharge maint. We do it on our OEM Interstate battery when stored under cover and still shows fully charged without issues after 4 years.
    I have the battery out and connected to my Sears charger on the AGM setting. From what I have read this setting is slow and it takes a long time to recharge. I have the battery clamps tight using the bolts and washers.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Charge time depends on the max output of the charger, and the capacity of the battery. Give it about 12 hrs to start, That likely will not fully charge it, but will give you enough to see if it is alive at all. If it comes back, you may have to go up to 24 hrs for a full charge. Just like conventional batteries, if it went completely dead, and was that way for any length of time, it may not ever be able to last very long when in service. Autostore tests are good for "how strong" testing (can it turn over an engine?), but not so good for "How long will it run something" testing. Although if it fails their test, it won't pass the second. But it could pass, but you find it loses capacity very quickly when running RV type things....only giving it a try will tell.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Charge time depends on the max output of the charger, and the capacity of the battery. Give it about 12 hrs to start, That likely will not fully charge it, but will give you enough to see if it is alive at all. If it comes back, you may have to go up to 24 hrs for a full charge. Just like conventional batteries, if it went completely dead, and was that way for any length of time, it may not ever be able to last very long when in service. Autostore tests are good for "how strong" testing (can it turn over an engine?), but not so good for "How long will it run something" testing. Although if it fails their test, it won't pass the second. But it could pass, but you find it loses capacity very quickly when running RV type things....only giving it a try will tell.
    After 5 hours it is at 50%. It is in my garage on my work bench out of the way. After I get it charged fully I will find a local auto parts to get it tested.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After about 12 hours the battery was fully charged. I unplugged it overnight. This morning it was around 12.86, so I plugged it back up. It took no time to get back to a full charge. I have it on my charger trickle setting now and it is holding the full 14.32 charge. Maybe it will be OK. Being my RV has a 12v refrigerator that will need to be powered while traveling I need to make sure I have a good battery. I don't boondock any, but when the trailer is at my house I use the solar power mainly.

Edit: I took the battery to O-Reilly's and it is dead. I started another thread for battery suggestions.

Edit: I contacted my dealer and they agreed to replace the battery.
    Last edited by reubenray; 12-13-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You may have dodged a bullet. FYI - an unconnected battery, after a rest period (>12 hrs) should read about 12.8 for full charge. It takes some time after coming off the charger to settle to it's true charge level. The 14.32 is the level the charger is putting into the battery, so not the actual battery level of charge.

If you have time, install it, and with nothing else on or set to charge it, see how long it will run your 12v fridge.....test every couple of hours by disconnecting it, give it a brief rest period (15 min- 1/2 hr) then read the voltage. When it gets down to about 11.9-12 you'll be at 50% capacity, which is the normal level you should not go below.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast