Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smell from grey piping but also behind TV

Hi all,

So first and foremost my family and I are totally knew to trailer camping, so I am a newbe to say the least. I'm very well versed in cars/trucks and boats, but know squat about trailers. My wife talked me into buying us a 2017 GD Reflection 308BHTS. We bought this just a week ago from a great couple who have quickly become new friends. That's the great part of the story, now for the not so great part. During the first weekend I already learned in a bad way that either are black/grey tanks were labeled wrong or the plumbing was hooked up wrong. Yes I have definitely proven this from the overflowing toilet to the testing of filling and emptying tanks. Should have bought the clear connector, would have realized this sooner and prevented some nastyness or via the second day when our shower clogged and after clearing all tanks it went away..however there is another issue that i'm a bit baffeled by. There is a not horrible, but not great smell that comes from our piping in the bathroom sink, not the shower and not the toilet only from the sink and under the sink (were vent is)..now for the really strange part it also comes from the hole cut for the HDMI cable to come to the TV from the Furion DVD player located above, and also comes from the area where the main control panel for the grey/black tank pull valves and city water connection and storage area is. We are thinking just a smelly grey tank, as the trailer did sit for about 1 and 1/2 years...however what makes no sense to me in that the smell is coming from behind the TV area and in the storage area in the bottom of the trailer. As well we have already done a sanitize using Walex Elomante (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Anyone have any thoughts/insights? Very much appreciate any help.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change out the AAV under the sink, why you smell things behind the TV is a mystery. Search AAV here and you will find it's a common problem. Also check for water standing below. Push up on the coroplast to see if you feel water hanging in there. There could be a failed gray tank seal dripping down there causing some stink.

And Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 08-15-2020 at 07:36 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crmiller03 View Post
    There is a not horrible, but not great smell that comes from our piping in the bathroom sink, not the shower and not the toilet only from the sink and under the sink (were vent is)..now for the really strange part it also comes from the hole cut for the HDMI cable to come to the TV from the Furion DVD player located above, and also comes from the area where the main control panel for the grey/black tank pull valves and city water connection and storage area is. We are thinking just a smelly grey tank, as the trailer did sit for about 1 and 1/2 years...however what makes no sense to me in that the smell is coming from behind the TV area and in the storage area in the bottom of the trailer. As well we have already done a sanitize using Walex Elomante (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Anyone have any thoughts/insights? Very much appreciate any help.
    This is the popular and recommended replacement for the vent that @WhittleBurner has recommended you replace. It's usually a dead-easy hand-screw off and on job. The cheap valves used by Grand Design are often the cause of odors under the sink. There is another valve under the kitchen sink that you may want to replace too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STUDOR-1...dalType=drawer

Gray water can get AWFULLY stinky, just as bad as black, so if the odor you're reporting isn't all that offensive then you may not have a tank-related issue, might be mildew or other mold problem, possibly related to condensation if the trailer was stored on grass or gravel. Or possibly - sorry - mice that have died under the living area of the trailer.

The report that you've got odors coming up in many places where a hole is drilled down from the living level to underneath it does suggest a problem below the living area, of course.

There could be - or have been - a leak into the basement and/or onto the insulation and coroplast under the trailer. Start testing this by smelling in the basement, including dropping the wall panel to the utility area behind your basement storage and checking for odor there.

If odor is detected there look for liquid on the floor, and on top of any exposed tank in the utility area (often a gray tank is partially-exposed there). Reach under the trailer and check if there is liquid on the coroplast (the corrugated plastic liner on the belly of the trailer) by pushing it up - carefully since if there is liquid there it may come out the side where you are laying when you push it up. If there's no liquid on the coroplast now, consider dropping part of one edge of the coroplast and seeing if you can detect odor there.

If none of these pan out, lucky you since most such problems would be a fair bit of work to clean up. Put Odorlos or other tank cleaning product in all the tanks with at least five gallons of water before you drive to your next destination. Keep some water in the tanks at all times, which means putting water (and soap or enzymes or chemicals) into the tank immediately after dumping the tanks. Let the tanks get quite full before dumping them. And go on the internet and google for "GEO Method" for another way to help keep the tanks clean.

Hope something there is useful. Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 08-15-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TV in that floor plan shares a wall with the bathroom as we had that model before, most likely the odor from the bathroom sink is finding its way through that common wall.
    Dan, Marcia, Emilee, Tanner, Zac
    2020 Chevy 3500 HD Crew 6.6L Duramax
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crmiller03 View Post
    Hi all,

So first and foremost my family and I are totally knew to trailer camping, so I am a newbe to say the least. I'm very well versed in cars/trucks and boats, but know squat about trailers. My wife talked me into buying us a 2017 GD Reflection 308BHTS. We bought this just a week ago from a great couple who have quickly become new friends. That's the great part of the story, now for the not so great part. During the first weekend I already learned in a bad way that either are black/grey tanks were labeled wrong or the plumbing was hooked up wrong. Yes I have definitely proven this from the overflowing toilet to the testing of filling and emptying tanks. Should have bought the clear connector, would have realized this sooner and prevented some nastyness or via the second day when our shower clogged and after clearing all tanks it went away..however there is another issue that i'm a bit baffeled by. There is a not horrible, but not great smell that comes from our piping in the bathroom sink, not the shower and not the toilet only from the sink and under the sink (were vent is)..now for the really strange part it also comes from the hole cut for the HDMI cable to come to the TV from the Furion DVD player located above, and also comes from the area where the main control panel for the grey/black tank pull valves and city water connection and storage area is. We are thinking just a smelly grey tank, as the trailer did sit for about 1 and 1/2 years...however what makes no sense to me in that the smell is coming from behind the TV area and in the storage area in the bottom of the trailer. As well we have already done a sanitize using Walex Elomante (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Anyone have any thoughts/insights? Very much appreciate any help.
    You have received some good suggestions here. If your tank vents are not the problem then you need to look for a water leak. I found a floor plan for your trailer and it looks like you come in the main entry door and there is a coat closet on the right, the TV at an angle and the bathroom behind the TV. You smell oders from TV hole and pass through. The bath room is behind the TV and you could have a leak. After checking out the other suggestions without resolution of the problem you need to remove some screws fom the belly cover forward of the steps, gently pull down the belly cover and use a flash light to look for water.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually