User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They put Queen mattresses on a Full size frame??

After a week in Yellowstone of (trying to) sleep on the factory 6" thick queen mattress, the lower back pain was killing me, even with a memory foam topper. So I removed the mattress from the wood foundation and no wonder the mattress edges are so droopy... the foundation is made for a Full size mattress (75"x54") not a queen size (80"x60")! The wood that flips up for under-bed storage only extends to 52" wide and 74" long. The cheap pad they put in it hangs over 4" on each side and 6" on the end.

Has anyone found a reason why they would do that? Was it designed originally to only have a Full size mattress, but they threw in a queen size for marketing purposes? I am thinking of cutting a new 3/8" plywood board in the proper dimensions to support a queen size mattress... then get a better mattress. Has anyone done this already?

Thanks!
    Bryan
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will also be replacing our rock mattress. The weird thing is I love and prefer our mattress firm but this thing is bad. Had a soar back for 3 weeks after a 5 day trip.
    Our base however is ok.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    We will also be replacing our rock mattress. The weird thing is I love and prefer our mattress firm but this thing is bad. Had a soar back for 3 weeks after a 5 day trip.
    Our base however is ok.

Is the base in yours 80x60 so that it goes edge to edge on the queen size mattress rock?
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    Is the base in yours 80x60 so that it goes edge to edge on the queen size mattress rock?
    I'll measure tomorrow but if I remember right, it comes within a few inches

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a week in Yellowstone of (trying to) sleep on the factory 6" thick queen mattress, the lower back pain was killing me, even with a memory foam topper. So I removed the mattress from the wood foundation and no wonder the mattress edges are so droopy... the foundation is made for a Full size mattress (75"x54") not a queen size (80"x60")! The wood that flips up for under-bed storage only extends to 52" wide and 74" long. The cheap pad they put in it hangs over 4" on each side and 6" on the end.

Has anyone found a reason why they would do that? Was it designed originally to only have a Full size mattress, but they threw in a queen size for marketing purposes? I am thinking of cutting a new 3/8" plywood board in the proper dimensions to support a queen size mattress... then get a better mattress. Has anyone done this already?

Thanks!
    Bryan
    The plywood is left a little short on purpose. It' s to keep people from catching the wood with their legs when going around the bed. The reason it's so uncomfortable is that is the crapiest matress you have ever seen. Most RV companies use the same thing. It has been speculated that since everyone has a different preference that is what they put in mostly for looks. Every one does something about it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The plywood is left a little short on purpose. It' s to keep people from catching the wood with their legs when going around the bed. The reason it's so uncomfortable is that is the crapiest matress you have ever seen. Most RV companies use the same thing. It has been speculated that since everyone has a different preference that is what they put in mostly for looks. Every one does something about it.
    I'm on board with the crappy original mattress... that's a given. But the 3/8" plywood platform is only 52" wide. That's a full size mattress size.... not queen. But they put a queen mattress on it so that it hangs 4" over on each side. I'm thinking I want a "Queen Short" mattress (60x75) and will have to replace the wood platform for the wider size.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on board with the crappy original mattress... that's a given. But the 3/8" plywood platform is only 52" wide. That's a full size mattress size.... not queen. But they put a queen mattress on it so that it hangs 4" over on each side. I'm thinking I want a "Queen Short" mattress (60x75) and will have to replace the wood platform for the wider size.
    If you search here, someone has already done what you describe above-rebuilt the base. I believe the poster included pictures as well-may not have been our model, but may give you ideas. You might have to beef up the hydraulic tube that holds up the under-bed storage door.

It has taken me 3 years to stop trying to sit on the end of the bed to put on shoes! You slide right off

N
    Last edited by Houndbb; 08-22-2020 at 02:42 AM.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before our first outing we ordered a Mattress America 12" Revive Gel Memory Foam Mattress ($289.00 on Amazon with free delivery). It fit the platform well .... slid right back into the head board opening. We both like the way it sleeps. Best of luck with your search!
    Bill & Kathy
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2020 Ford F150 w/ 3.5L Turbo, Max Tow Package

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic2 View Post
    Before our first outing we ordered a Mattress America 12" Revive Gel Memory Foam Mattress ($289.00 on Amazon with free delivery). It fit the platform well .... slid right back into the head board opening. We both like the way it sleeps. Best of luck with your search!
    I've been looking at these so far. Still can't decide if "RV" size (shorter) will be OK or not. But I will definitely extend the wood base to the edges of the mattress because of what Houndbb said! :-)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G3H5HML
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Z16P9G

There are way too many choices for mattresses, and every one of them have people who love it and people who hate it. So I guess you roll the dice and see if what you order will be OK or not.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @WhittleBurner, they leave the wood short so you don't catch your leg. OSB would leave a nasty scratch. It also means less weight for the gas struts to lift. We had the dealer keep the mattress it came with and we put in an Ikea queen that is the same model as what we have at home. So no difference in mattress from home to trailer.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast