User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else take their sous vide camping?

A few years ago discovered sous vide cooking. I need about 1200W of power so a hookup is nice. Great thing is protein like chops, chicken, steak, pork tenderloin can be prepped, seasoned, Foodsavered and frozen. You can drop in the water bath right from the freezer and finish in CI pan or on the grill as you choose.

Pork tenderloin “cooked” at 60ºC (140ºF) in the water bath for at least two hours and as long as 6 hours, you can’t overcook it, can be finished on the grill, or in a pinch rolled in hot CI pan to crust it up a bit.

Hard to beat sous vide for warming leftovers, like pulled pork for sammies. Freezer to bath friendly.

Anyone else use sous vide?

@WhittleBurner - as in the post re type of BBQ, charcoal is better than gas for steak, but a sous vide steak is Better than charcoal, IMO.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried the Sous vide yet, though must admit they have had me curious . As for the steak.. to bad the borders are closed we could of had a steak feast taste testing
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I haven't tried the Sous vide yet, though must admit they have had me curious . As for the steak.. to bad the borders are closed we could of had a steak feast taste testing
    Borders closed hurt our getting out this year. BC has some beautiful provincial parks, however, the demand was unbelievable for locals and I don’t think you can get a full hookup anywhere. Some do have power and water, but very few.
    If you like to cook, try a sous vide circulator. Steak set at 125ºF is edge to edge pink. I use ghee, clarified butter, in a hot CI pan to add some crust and get a full mahogany finish.
    On the grill I like a reverse sear.
    Judy & Larry
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We camped with some friend last year who used a sous vide circulator. I think it was the VacPak-It SV08. Everything they cooked was tasty; no complaints. But everything we cooked was tasty too. So it was a tie.

Still, it did seem like a pretty good way to cook al-be-it a bit a counter hog. And I think I recall there was some amount of "real" cooking necessary for some meals to get them looking good or finishing them off.

Either way - we had a good time together and hope to hook up with them again next year.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    We camped with some friend last year who used a sous vide circulator. I think it was the VacPak-It SV08. Everything they cooked was tasty; no complaints. But everything we cooked was tasty too. So it was a tie.

Still, it did seem like a pretty good way to cook al-be-it a bit a counter hog. And I think I recall there was some amount of "real" cooking necessary for some meals to get them looking good or finishing them off.

Either way - we had a good time together and hope to hook up with them again next year.
    Sous vide is just another way to cook, like a flat top, pressure cooker or a plain old sauce pan. Good grub comes from all methods. The circulator itself is not a counter hog, the water bath container might be. I use a dollar store 10” stock pot. Neither food nor fire touches it, so cheap and thin is better. VakPak makes some great units, ranging from $150 to $700. ANOVA is also good. I’ve been yearning for one of their chamber sealers for some time. The benefit is for protein, chops or steaks, can you hold them using traditional methods for a couple of hours without overlooking them? Dinner time can be a suggestion rather than a specific hour.

Yes for most items, a bit of char, under a broiler (brussel sprouts), CI pan or grill for steaks and chops, is required. A steak can be seared in less than 2 minutes and it will be a perfect medium rare.

Food, that’s what brings us together and you can always learn something new, maybe that’s why we camp.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 09-24-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    Judy & Larry

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't gone down the Sous Vid rabbit hole yet. I've come close to pulling the trigger on one a few times in the past. Maybe one day.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wondered if I was the only one who took SV camping with me. The wonderful thing to me about SV is how convenient it makes everything. I plan the meals in advance of our trip. I season and pre-cook many meals. Things like Tuna casserole, Chili, Steaks, Lemon Pepper chicken, Pork chops, potatoes etc, etc. Now don't get me wrong, things like chili, tuna casserole, and potatoes (and many other items are cooked traditionally. Things like steaks, chops and chicken are done SV before the trip. My favorite thing to SV right now is brisket. I smoke it first, then SV for 2 days at 155. OMG, best I've personally ever had and I've had a lot, including Texas and Kansas City! Anyway, I digress. Then I vacuum seal everything and freeze it. When it comes time to camp, we load up the freezer. We thaw what we want to eat the previous day. The best thing about it is you throw it in the water bath and SV for an hour and you're ready to sear, or just serve. It's a wonderful way to prepare for camping trips.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I haven't tried cooking in a vacuum yet either - it seems pretty unusual to me. But what appeals to me about this technology is that, for example, the meat is sure to be cooked evenly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    To be honest, I haven't tried cooking in a vacuum yet either - it seems pretty unusual to me. But what appeals to me about this technology is that, for example, the meat is sure to be cooked evenly.
    Exactly. Over the past year with more and more campfire and charcoal fire bans in our provincial parks due to drought and wildfire danger, cooking on a propane grill or sitting around a propane fire pot has become “normal”. For things like sous vide cooked back ribs, finishing on a gas grill provides a pretty decent meal. Apply a rub, seal, sous vide for 15-18 hours at about 150ºF, chill in an ice bath and hold in the fridge for as long as three or four days. At the camp site, with a two burner table top grill (currently using a NEXGRILL) a foil smoke packet over the active burner and the cooked rib rack on the indirect side, warm and then finish over direct heat to char or apply sauce if you prefer. Total grill time under 30 minutes.
    Judy & Larry

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiddy View Post
    Exactly. Over the past year with more and more campfire and charcoal fire bans in our provincial parks due to drought and wildfire danger, cooking on a propane grill or sitting around a propane fire pot has become “normal”. For things like sous vide cooked back ribs, finishing on a gas grill provides a pretty decent meal. Apply a rub, seal, sous vide for 15-18 hours at about 150ºF, chill in an ice bath and hold in the fridge for as long as three or four days. At the camp site, with a two burner table top grill (currently using a NEXGRILL) a foil smoke packet over the active burner and the cooked rib rack on the indirect side, warm and then finish over direct heat to char or apply sauce if you prefer. Total grill time under 30 minutes.
    Thanks for sharing your experience!