User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a couple of Fleetwoods (1st was solid, 2nd was junk), then a Sandpiper (2003 model) which was flawless for 7-8 years.
    Then we traded for a Mobile Suite and it was really nice. We decided we wanted a toy hauler about 5 yrs later, looked at Drv and could not believe how much the quality had gone down.
    We then looked at some other but, the Momentum had everything we wanted so we went that direction.
    16 months later we are happy, it has been a good trailer so far.
    There are good ones and lemons in every brand. Find a dealer that will take care of you and buy a rig that fills your needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started out with a 2014 M24 Heartland Mallard. It was fairly inexpensive to get my wife used to the idea. As most people do about a year into it we decided we needed something bigger. We looked for a year. Stopping at every RV lot along the interstates and going to shows. We were close to buying a Forest River product until I started reading reviews. They had 585 unresolved complaints against them with the BBB. I read mostly they didn't stand behind their products. Then we found the 2016 337RLS and decided this was the best floorplan for us. At the time there were no unresolved complaints against GD that I could find. That meant they stand behind their products. We all know these hings have stuff breakdown. It was a matter of the response when they do.
    2019 F350 Lariat Super Duty 6.7L Diesel SRW 4X4 with puck system
    2016 Reflection 337 RLS
    Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Geodude, would love photos of the steps you changed and the outdoor bar in the storage. Please pm me at 5039130683.
    I don't have many pictures of the steps but they are the Glowstep Revolution Uprising steps. They fit nicely and are easy to use. We find they work well in tight spaces such as our parking spot at home where the solid steps couldn't be deployed. And they have extra step (a 5th step in our case) that can be deployed when needed due to, say, a sloped campsite is really helpful.

As for the bar, it's in the rear side compartment. I have a bar fridge sitting on a platform so that the fridge door can clear the compartment opening. There's a cutlery tray underneath for misc storage. Power for the icemaker, phone charger, bluetooth speaker, disco lights and fridge comes from a power bar in the right-side bulkhead. Power was run from the outlet in the next compartment over. The same line is also used to power a TV that's mounted on the opposite side of that bulkhead in the next compartment. I also opened the bottom of that bulkdhead wall beside the icemaker to store a tote of extra mugs, etc.

Here's a link to some pics: https://goo.gl/photos/59JFzXgGxxWV3yqC6
    Last edited by Geodude; 01-03-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    2020 Solitude 380FL with B&W Companion 20K hitch
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV's before GD

Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    Good evening, all -

So, we are getting close to buying a 380 FL. We have researched and visited RV dealers for months, and still come back to it. This past weekend, we must have walked into at least 20 different RVs and TTs, types and brands we never considered. I'd like to know if members owned other brands before buying a GD and what made you change? What did you like about the other brands and what made you choose GD? The price of a 380FL, even discounted, is more than most any other RV, but we just can't pass up the extra 1/2 bath and separate living area.

Many thanks!
    We have had several RVs. Four were new, three used.

Worse TT was the 2012 Dutchman (however, in fairness it was a bottom end trailer). Best TT was the 2009 Arctic Fox (handling and construction). Will buy another Arctic Fox as soon as they rework their floor plans.

Don't forget about the tow vehicle. Worse tow vehicle was the 1988 Ford f150 (used a quart of oil every 800 miles, dealer said normal usage). A close second was the 2001 GMC 8.1 gas. 6.0 miles per gallon towing with a 24 gallon tank (travel range of 144 miles if I was daring enough to run the tank dry). Best tow vehicle is the 2017 GMC HD 3500 Duramax. (no substitute for power and heavy duty construction).

All RVs are manufactured to be lightweight, which results in their flimsy construction. Most appliances and internal components are made by others and all break. We looked for years before buying the Grand Design. Came down to how closely the floor plan met our desires.

Grand Design makes a nice unit. I think you'll be happy with one. It's our favorite so far.

1976 Roadrunner 19' TT (1962 Chev K10 4X4)
    1986 Prowler 24C bunkhouse TT (1962 Chev 4X4/1988 Ford F150)
    2000 Prowler 26H TT (1997 GMC k1500/2001 GMC HD2500 8.1)
    2009 Arctic Fox 30U TT (2001 HD2500 8.1)
    2012 Dutchman 265BHS TT (2006 Nissan Titan/2011 GMC HD2500 Duramax)
    2014 Open Range 274RL TT (2011 GMC HD 2500 Duramax/ 2017 GMC HD3500 Duramax)
    2021 Grand Design 2930RL FW (2017 GMC HD3500 Duramax)
    2020 Solitude S 2930rl
    2017 GMC Denali HD 3500 6.5' Bed
    B&W turnover ball
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2004 Big country
    2018 Montana (lived in this one parked in the barn while building a new house)
    2021 Cougar half ton
    2021 Reflection 303rls
    No comparison between the reflection and the keystones in terms of fit and finish. 2021 Montana had loads of trim popping off while sitting on the lot. I understand every company has issues but keystone will never get another dime from me if at all possible.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waiting to see...

Quote Originally Posted by TexSol20 View Post
    Good evening, all -

So, we are getting close to buying a 380 FL. We have researched and visited RV dealers for months, and still come back to it. This past weekend, we must have walked into at least 20 different RVs and TTs, types and brands we never considered. I'd like to know if members owned other brands before buying a GD and what made you change? What did you like about the other brands and what made you choose GD? The price of a 380FL, even discounted, is more than most any other RV, but we just can't pass up the extra 1/2 bath and separate living area.

Many thanks!
    We had a Jayco Jay Feather before purchasing our 2019 GD Reflection 285BHTS. We purchased our new GD because we heard so many good things about them. We had our Jay Feather for 7 years and towed 5,000 to 8,000 miles per year. (My husband was in the Navy and I would travel cross country each summer to be with family.)

In all the years we had the Jay Feather, we never took it in to the dealer for repairs. We had one blown fuse in the entire time. We were eager to upgrade as we had heard so many great things about GD.

Our experience so far has not been great with our new GD. We did not take it out much the first year because we bought it at the end of the season and then COVID happened. We finally took it on a big trip this fall and boy did we have issues.

The kitchen sink came undone...actually separated from the counter!!!
    The auto stabilizing jacks don't work on the front side.
    The wall appears to be separating somewhat.
    The entry door and the bedroom door are not aligned properly and are difficult to close/lock...etc.
    The trim around the bottom has lost at least 10 screws...why weren't they bolted in? It seems cheap that they used machine screws instead of bolts. This is a $40,000 travel trailer.
    The floor seems to get air bubbles after being hauled.

I called GD and they said we're out of warranty and they usually expect some settling within the first year. Right now they referred me to a local dealer to asses the situation. GD may or may not decide to pay for the adjustments/problems. Unlike the experience of satisfied GD customers, I found customer service to be unsympathetic and cold.

This was a huge investment for us, so we will have to live with the GD and pay for the repairs ourselves if they decide not to cover them. It really is a shame considering that never happened with the much less expensive Jay Feather.

I enjoy being a cheerleader for great companies and products. I hope I can be one for GD. I will update my experience as soon as I know what the local dealer does to fix the issues through GD.

In the meantime, I recommend looking closely at how things are assembled on any potential RV. Machine screws versus bolts, etc. That might be a big clue.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcelandkirsten View Post
    We had a Jayco Jay Feather before purchasing our 2019 GD Reflection 285BHTS. We purchased our new GD because we heard so many good things about them. We had our Jay Feather for 7 years and towed 5,000 to 8,000 miles per year. (My husband was in the Navy and I would travel cross country each summer to be with family.)

In all the years we had the Jay Feather, we never took it in to the dealer for repairs. We had one blown fuse in the entire time. We were eager to upgrade as we had heard so many great things about GD.

Our experience so far has not been great with our new GD. We did not take it out much the first year because we bought it at the end of the season and then COVID happened. We finally took it on a big trip this fall and boy did we have issues.

The kitchen sink came undone...actually separated from the counter!!!
    The auto stabilizing jacks don't work on the front side.
    The wall appears to be separating somewhat.
    The entry door and the bedroom door are not aligned properly and are difficult to close/lock...etc.
    The trim around the bottom has lost at least 10 screws...why weren't they bolted in? It seems cheap that they used machine screws instead of bolts. This is a $40,000 travel trailer.
    The floor seems to get air bubbles after being hauled.

I called GD and they said we're out of warranty and they usually expect some settling within the first year. Right now they referred me to a local dealer to asses the situation. GD may or may not decide to pay for the adjustments/problems. Unlike the experience of satisfied GD customers, I found customer service to be unsympathetic and cold.

This was a huge investment for us, so we will have to live with the GD and pay for the repairs ourselves if they decide not to cover them. It really is a shame considering that never happened with the much less expensive Jay Feather.

I enjoy being a cheerleader for great companies and products. I hope I can be one for GD. I will update my experience as soon as I know what the local dealer does to fix the issues through GD.

In the meantime, I recommend looking closely at how things are assembled on any potential RV. Machine screws versus bolts, etc. That might be a big clue.
    Appears?

Seems?

Things move when you go down the road

Plenty of videos where people recorded what it is like for a trailer going down the road if you were not sure

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, two before our GD unit.
    Bought used in the first place, the Jayco was older and getting travel weary.
    Bought new, the Puma was beautifully laid out with fantastic storage for a 28 foot fifth wheel, but scrimped on quality and not sufficiently heavy duty for continuous long distance travel.
    Also bought new, at twice the price, the 28 foot Reflection 230RL is almost the same weight as the Puma, but heavy duty where it needs to be.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS
    2013 Puma 253FBS
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 230RL
    Last edited by north channel novels; 01-04-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Appears?

Seems?

Things move when you go down the road

Plenty of videos where people recorded what it is like for a trailer going down the road if you were not sure

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    Thank you for replying to my post. I used the word appears as we are uncertain what is causing the buckling of the wall/separating of the trim. We will have more information when we get it evaluated. As I towed cross- country and through rough terrain with my Jay Feather, I am well-aware of how things move. In the seven years (and more than 30,000 miles) we had the Jay Feather, we did not experience the failures we have had making one cross-country trip on highways that we did with the GD Reflection.

I recognize it is hard to hear when someone has an experience that is different from one's own. That does not mean that my experience is false, nor does it mean that I am unaware of how RV's work.

This post began with a request from a potential buyer seeking honest assessments of Grand Design RVs. I have given mine in an effort to encourage the buyer to make a thorough investigation rather than just believing GD's quality reputation as we did.

My experience is a journey. I will continue to update as we learn more about what has caused our issues and how GD will handle them.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had 2 previous units:

Bought used a 2004 Keystone Springdale 269RLS (26' TT)
    Bought a new 2015 Cougar 333MKS (36' 5th Wheel)
    Bought a new 2018 GD Solitude 344GK

Our least troubled rig was the Cougar. I know others have not had that experience, but ours was nearly flawless for several years.
    Our most troublesome rig was/is the Solitude.

Our most comfortable rig was/is the Solitude (By a long shot!).

I really like the GD, and would buy it again, but I've had several quality issues that should just not exist.
    - Floor crumpling from the bedroom slide rollers (repaired by dealer)
    - Kitchen sink separating significantly from counter (repaired by dealer)
    - 1 hydraulic jack leaking fluid, required replacement (repaired by dealer)
    - Front door does not close well at all when in direct sunlight (others here have had this issue). I've reworked the striker plate, screws and a few other things. It's better, but still not right.
    - Baggage door latches are plastic and had issues with then bending the metal ridge they latch too. Fixed myself (just be gentle, and all will be good there)
    - Furnace performance just ok (Cougar would heat quickly and sweat you out of the place if set too high)
    - The Norcold fridge has been awful in our experience. Works OK until stressed (95+ degree heat). It's cooling unit is under-rated for the size and being in a slide creates further issues. I repaired by installing a 12v compressor cooling unit (MUCH better).
    - Black water tank drain VERY slow. The plumbing design is not great.
    - Slides tend to let a good amount of water in while pulling in if raining (I should get some slide toppers).
    - The plastic screen door latch was junk, replaced with a metal latch. No more issues.

There are more issues, but you get the point. GD did repair everything that was asked of them, which is the ONLY reason I would consider them again. We love the floorplan, it tows great so we fix it and make it our own!

I've learned that all rigs have issues... These things are built quickly. The QA process is heralded by many manufacturers, however in my experience they miss a lot.

Don't sweat it too much. Pick a floor plan you like and learn to work on this stuff yourself. It's not that difficult and will save you $$$ and headaches in the long run.

Here's a post when I purchased the rig, added a few mods and repairs: Link
    Last edited by bfs673; 01-04-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    2018 Solitude 344gk
    2021 Ram 3500 SRW

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast