User Tag List

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social distancing failing, what comes next?

Well, I just left the house today for the first time in about a week and a half to go shopping. Trying to do it in the middle of the day when I think traffic will be low and.. Well, while I'm bunkered up at home, not allowing anyone to come over or visit and staying FAR away from other people, apparently the world is going on "normal" around me. First stop was Lowes and it was slammed. People everywhere, most of them homeowners, buying up all kinds of stuff (non-essentials, plants, etc). Now, to be fair, I was also there for that purpose, my mailbox got hit and I needed to replace it, but I'm usually a 3-4X a week guy there and have been twice since the coronavirus hit (instead of the 10+ times I'd normally go). Well, apparently I'm the only one. Standing in line, I had people way to close to me, in front and back. The one ray of hope, one of the checkout girls was wearing a mask. No customers were, and she was the only cashier I saw with one on. Had to touch the credit card machine to check out (click OK), which didn't make me real happy either.

Onto the grocery store. Same situation, tons of people, way too much physical contact. A much older gentlemen, probably around 70, working bagging was licking his fingers over and over again to get the bags off the dispenser. No gloves. No social distance at all. I was trying to stay away from everyone as best I could, but people would walk by with 1ft between us all the time (when there was plenty of room to put some air). Traffic was light, but it's always light in my area (rural).

Conclusion? This isn't working. People aren't taking this seriously at all, I'm in my 40's and very healthy, I stand very low risk for COVID, and here I am, bunkered up and trying to leave the house <1X per week to keep from either spreading it or getting it. Appears I'm somewhat alone in my vigilance though. As we were driving home, I said to my wife "1/4 million Americans are going to die over the next few months" and, sadly, if the math and statistics are right, given what I saw, that's what we're in for. I'm not likely to be in the group, by our parents are, as are a lot of the people who were blissfully shopping away at Lowes today. I guess, at some point, it's "what can you do" and just let people make their own bad decisions. It's still sad though, a lot of heartache is heading our way unless we get some kind of real "lockdown" in place.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right with you. I try to go out once a week, and then only to get groceries. We've used the curbside delivery a couple of times to reduce the risk there as well. Like you, those weekly trips have been disheartening. I'm your age but unfortunately have very mild asthma, which puts me in a high risk group. The thing that worries me most is the thought of my kids losing both their parents, or the thought of one of my kids getting a severe case and us not being able to visit them in the hospital. I do wish people would think. Think about what you're risking and how you're putting others at risk. By staying home, you can actually be saving lives beyond your own.

Maybe they close all restaurants (even to take-out). Maybe all grocery stores become curb-side only (only employees inside). Maybe all businesses become curb-side only. We desperately need the ability to test for and find asymptomatic people. The ideal would be a simple at-home test, free to all, distributed such that it was as widely available as condoms.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it really stinks. If people would just stay isolated for 2 weeks, this entire thing would basically stop or slow to a crawl. About 60,000 Americans died in Vietnam, even "best case" numbers now look like more are going to die from COVID. Worst case it's many times more. It's just amazing to me that "Netflix and chill" for 2 weeks seems to be entirely impossible for us as a country. IMHO, we should say "It stops on Sunday". Go out, get enough food for a few weeks, and then DO NOT LEAVE your house (or RV) for 2 weeks. And give the police masks and the right to write absolutely crushing tickets for anyone found out on the road who doesn't have reason (truckers, doctors/medical professionals, that's it). Just stay in your house/RV. If you live in suburbia, walk around your back yard. If you live in the city, well.. Here's a good reason to move the heck out of there when this is over, because, wow, being stuck in my 500 sq/ft walkup sounds pretty crappy to me. But, put it in perspective, is it as crappy as the alternative?! No, IMHO, it's not.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ventured out Tuesday for the first time in two weeks. Wallyworld & the local IGA. I left the house at 6:45 am & left DW at home. I live in a small county (30K) & town (pop10K) with no CONFIRMED cases. Everyone at both stores gave distance & actually had stuff. The IGA had spit guards put up to block their checkers off, taped distance lines on the floor, CC/debit card only-no cash. They use only store bags for your grocery items, can't use your own. California doesn't like plastic, one use bags. All employees were wearing gloves...don't know that this helps as surfaces are only as clean as the last person that touched it. I had a list, got what was on it & out in 10 minutes. I wore disposable gloves. It still felt unsettling going in both stores. DW is ordering more from Costco, Sams, & Amazon more, actually found some TP at A the other day!
    Going out on my (by myself) bike rides, I still see people not distancing, hanging in truck windows yattering with the driver, saw a pick up BB game! Rode away from a friend of mine 'cause he felt he needed to be close to talk... I think I pissed him off, some people just are not going to get it. I'm 69, recovering from cancer treatment, DW has Lupus, so we kinda take it seriously. Told our daughter not to come up for a planed visit-& drag something up from the Bay area.
    Don't get discouraged & keep safe-and distant.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was watching the news last night. Governor from FL was talking and his sign language interpreter was standing right next to him. How can a governor expect the public to do social distancing when he doesn't practice it.

I live in Georgia. The weatherman was talking about how sunny and nice the weather was going to be this weekend and ended with "Get out and enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend!" I guess he didn't hear about the new shelter in place order that goes into effect Friday noon.

I work in a critical business and everyday I drive to work and drive past numerous convenient stores. They are always full of customers. Sort of sad really. They couldn't just bring a drink and snack from home?
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's ways to enjoy the nice weather while still being mindful of social distancing and interaction. Just listen to the experts who clearly say that the stay at home or social distancing does not mean you can't go out back, sit on the porch.. or go out front, and shoot hoops (if you have a basketball goal), or even walk your dog. All those type activities are easily accomplished while still maintaining 6ft apart.

The problem is, people don't think.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    There's ways to enjoy the nice weather while still being mindful of social distancing and interaction. Just listen to the experts who clearly say that the stay at home or social distancing does not mean you can't go out back, sit on the porch.. or go out front, and shoot hoops (if you have a basketball goal), or even walk your dog. All those type activities are easily accomplished while still maintaining 6ft apart.

Mike
    Honestly, almost everything I enjoy doing is easily accomplished with "social distance". I love to hike, and often, while hiking, I won't see another person the entire day. And if I do, we're never within 6ft of one another. But, for some reason, most hiking trails are closed now and, the ones that are open, predictably, are very crowded, so I don't do that anymore. Riding a motorcycle is pretty heavenly right now, no traffic, and not only social distance, but I'm wearing a helmet that covers my entire face! I like to bike too, another great "social distance" activity. It really would be nice if instead of just "close everything" (notably the parks/hiking trails/etc) they would think about "where are people in close proximity" and close that instead. Cause hiking, well, there aren't many pastimes that have more "social distance" than that. Whitewater kayaking solo would be another good one. Canoeing. There are so many things to do that don't involve large (or any) groups of people, but, sadly, a lot of that stuff is closed too. But hey, if that's what it takes, I understand; I'll walk my property, ride my motorcycle/bike and watch the time pass.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post

Mike
    While I totally agree with you it just seemed like a blanket statement encouraging people to get out and with Atlanta and all the apartment dwellers it just didn't seem like an appropriate statement.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winco grocery store and some others are doing this.

Entry Into Store
    Please note that entry into the store may be metered to allow for social distancing and to follow guidelines. This means that you may experience a wait in line before being able to enter the store, please dress accordingly for possible time outside and observe social distancing at all times, including while in line.

Also lines on the floor to stay behind.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We live in a pretty rural area. We have to go to the next town - about 25 miles - to Walmart. The grocery store in town is iffy as far as veggies and much more expensive. Not to mention that the one cashier who has worked there many years has started licking her fingers. I know her, and wanted to say something but I would have a problem with being diplomatic (I've done it before and the person did not take it kindly at all). Anyway - last time I was in the store, and figuring out how to avoid her line when she was the only one working, she WAS NOT licking her fingers! Must have figured it out! Also, in going to Walmart - very light traffic - as in 20 cars on the road total last Thursday. The store itself had less than half the people it normally does. Everyone was practicing social distancing pretty well. A few not so much, but not real close either. In our town today very little was open other than a couple of take out places and repair shops - along with our two convenience stores. Went to the lumber yard - one other person in the store. I ordered and then went out to get my stuff. Everything I got was outside. I did see people walking n the street and talking to each other in close proximity. With the lack of traffic noise they certainly did not need to be that close! I just don't know about some people.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast