Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diesel Generator suggestions

I'm looking to pickup a diesel generator for boondocking / emergency power on my 369RL. As much as I would like a Onan integrated into the camper, that sort of cost is not in the budget. I do have a 6x10 that we pull as well and am looking for something I could roll out and plug either 50 or 30 amp cord into so I can minimize my wiring work.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with something that could run 1 or both a/c units? Hopefully in the $1-2K price range. Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not using diesel generators but maybe this will be an option for you as it was a relatively cheap option. And much cheaper than a comparable Honda genitor setup.

My system is composed of two 2000 watt Champion inverter generators (1600 watt continuous) and a Champion Inverter Parallel Kit only cost me $1200. The parallel kit ties the 2 generators together to generate 4000 watts (3200 watt continuous) and the inverter panel provides standard 120vac outlets and a 30 amp power outlet. Total power available is 3200watt/110VAC = 30 Amps approx (36 Amps peak). Not sure if that can run 2 A/C units. Check if your A/C units requires 13 or 15 Amps each. I only have 1 A/C unit and I can run that with other items in my Solitude.

Price offsets inconvenience of carrying spare cans of gasoline and diesel and space required by ONAN. More importantly, these generators are light enough for me to move in and out of the front bay whee its stored. There are larger inverter generators from Champion and other companies if you really want to run both A/C units.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Vietvet66-67
    Northern Tool has 2 listed, but remember they are going to be about twice as heavy as a gas generator. The one at Northern tool is 368 Lbs. and has a noise level of 65db. Best of luck finding one you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "My system is composed of two 2000 watt Champion inverter generators (1600 watt continuous) and a Champion Inverter Parallel Kit only cost me $1200. The parallel kit ties the 2 generators together to generate 4000 watts (3200 watt continuous) and the inverter panel provides standard 120vac outlets and a 30 amp power outlet. Total power available is 3200watt/110VAC = 30 Amps approx (36 Amps peak). Not sure if that can run 2 A/C units. Check if your A/C units requires 13 or 15 Amps each. I only have 1 A/C unit and I can run that with other items in my Solitude."

I just got back from a week in Sequim, Wa. It was pretty warm there (about 85 deg in the afternoon). That's warm for western Washington. I was on a 30 amp pedestal and decided to try running both A/C's. It worked fine. I did make it a point to leave any other big power drawing stuff off while both were running. Voltage stayed at or above 108.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACDW,
    How loud is your setup? I was looking at at Honda 6500, but would prefer to spend less if I could.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently have two 2000I Honda Generators that I parallel together. Can run most things just not both air conditioners. It has an inverter so all the outlets and such work. Just have to watch power consumption but it works for emergencies.

Debby - Stafford, Virginia
    2017 Grand Design Solitude ST374TH
    2012 GMC Denali 3500HD DRW

Vietvet66-67
    I was surfing around today and found this in the Aurora generator web site......Many generator companies would have you believe they sell a quality product. Without some quality assurance company and certification backing them up, the claims are meaningless. Electrical devices must have UL, CSA or ETL laboratory testing for safety and to insure performance requirements are met. Without approvals buyers have no guarantee of quality. Certification is also required by law in most jurisdictions.
    Here is there web site http://www.auroragenerators.com/gene...ct/id=13323984. Made in the USA and very reasonable $ wise.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Fil had one of those Aurora genies for an office backup system. Worked OK, but was not at all quiet or very smooth running. He has since sold it and is using his honda eu3000 for backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dloase View Post
    ACDW,
    How loud is your setup? I was looking at at Honda 6500, but would prefer to spend less if I could.
    Its not very loud at all. Its hard to measure of course, but listening to other generators at the campgrounds, including the famous Honda's (which I was going to buy), I found mine about the same noise level. They might be a tad louder than the Honda's but definitely not worth spending double the money. There is also an "eco" mode on them so that they will run quieter when there is less draw.

I like that these are stackable for easier storing or setup and have easy grip handles which is where I loop a cable to secure them from walking away

Aaron
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Aaron. Looking at website and reading company blogs isn't quite the same as talking to people who actually use equipment.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast