User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    pwrplay

Water pump is slow to shut off

We've started to use our water pump for the first time at a Provincial park for the Labour Day weekend and the pump seems to take a long time to shut off, or doesn't shut off at all.. This happens more often if you just open a faucet briefly enough to start the pump and then shut it off. It's like there is air in the lines after a quick run. If I run the water again for about 5-10 seconds, it will start to speed up and get louder and then finally shut off.

It's a flojet pump and there is no adjustments on it. I suspect that the diaphragm is leaking. Anyone else have/had the same issue?

Also the pump and plumbing are very very loud in this coach. Much much louder than my last TT. It seems no attention was placed in dampening the vibrations of this pump throughout the coach.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you're at a park without water hook-up, will you have to refill the FW tanks from jerry cans using the pump suction set-up? It may give a better idea what's happening with pump suction if you pump over a jerry can or two. We've been camping without water hook-up most times and it usually take 2.5 to 3 minutes to empty a 6 USG can.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have some air in the system or it could be a faulty pump.

it is a noisy pump. It has a rubber mount but is screwed to the floor of the basement. I bought some foam floor tile and longer screws at Home Depot and put a layer between the pump and floor. It helps.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

pwrplay
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    As you're at a park without water hook-up, will you have to refill the FW tanks from jerry cans using the pump suction set-up? It may give a better idea what's happening with pump suction if you pump over a jerry can or two. We've been camping without water hook-up most times and it usually take 2.5 to 3 minutes to empty a 6 USG can.

Dave
    I pumped some water into the tank from a 5 gallon jug and it appears to be pumping a bit slow. It took about 2 mins for the 5 gallons ND it wasn't a smooth continous pump flow sound. It sounded like a long gradual pulse and the pressure doesn't seem as strong as my last trailers pump, which was replaced under warranty by the dealer with a Shurflo. I think I'm going to place a call to GD and see if they'll replace it with a Shurflo 4048.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the OEM water pumps are typically 2.5 to 2.8 gpm, so I don't think there's much wrong with yours in terms of flow. If the pump takes a long time to reach the pressure set point on the closed system, you may have a different problem. The Shurflo 4048 at 4.0 gpm would be a big improvement though it would empty the FW tank and fill the waste water tanks faster.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

pwrplay
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave and Monica View Post
    I think the OEM water pumps are typically 2.5 to 2.8 gpm, so I don't think there's much wrong with yours in terms of flow. If the pump takes a long time to reach the pressure set point on the closed system, you may have a different problem. The Shurflo 4048 at 4.0 gpm would be a big improvement though it would empty the FW tank and fill the waste water tanks faster.

Dave
    I think this describes the issue best " takes a long time to reach the pressure set point on the closed system". This is leading me to believe there is an issue with the pump. The system will hold the pressure once the pump shuts off, it just won't reach pressure very quickly or sometimes will just keep running until I turn a tap back on full and then the pump will accelerate and get louder and then finally shut off.
    I've heard that the Shurflo 4048 is a very quiet pump, plus, it should hit the PSI necessary to shut it off faster. Yes it will pump more water, but we are very conservative when using our fresh water tank so it shouldn't be too big an issue.

pwrplay
    " I posted the same answer in another thread I started. Sorry for the almost duplicate post."

Ok so problem solved . replaced the factory installed Flojet with a Shurflo Revolution 4008 and problem is resolved. This pump is much quieter than the Flojet. It sounded like a jack hammer before. I was going to try an accumulator, but this pump doesn't need one due to its By-Pass valve, so it doesn't cycle, it just continuously runs.I'll be calling Grand design to cover the pump under warranty, Dean at their customer service dept. already said they would.

Also there is no check valve between the pump and the tank. I dropped the under belly cover to take a look. What a disaster under there..Sheesh!! Wires are hanging everywhere, nothing is tied or strapped. The heating ducting (dryer vent hose) for the "heated fresh water tank" was squished between a frame rail and the flooring. So no heat was making it the fresh water tank. (Good thing we don't winter camp or else our water would freeze LOL). One of the nuts for the tank level sensors was loose and would have come off in no time giving false readings.