User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in NJ the trailer is $28. My motorcycle is $56, the pickup is around $140.

Big Mike
    Mike and Mary Beth, Hopatcong, NJ
    2015 Momentum 385th with MorRyde Independent Suspension and Disc Brakes
    2014 Dodge Dually
    2014 Harley Ultra Limited (Big Mike's)
    2015 Indian Chieftain (Mary Beth's)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid well north of $800 on my last trailer in Arizona. All based on vehicle value. My only comment on this is that you always have to look at the overall tax picture. For example, in TX it seems like such a great deal with no income tax until you look at property taxes, toll roads, yearly vehicle inspections etc. Still good overall, but it evens out a bit.

Overall, Arizona is still a terrific state for low taxes, even with the higher vehicle registration fees (most of which is a tax).

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    I’ve been told registration of vehicles here is lower than in some other states because the bazillions of toll roads offset those costs.
    N

Here in SC, the registration fees and personal property tax are combined in one yearly bill. The plate fee itself is is pretty low. I imagine its that way in many other states that impose a personal property tax on vehicles as well.
    This year the registration fee was $11.00 and the tax was $392. So I wonder if some of those posts above don’t reflect the breakout between DMV plate fees and the personal property tax.

As former residents of NYS, we had no personal property tax on our vehicles. What we did have was outrageous village, town and county property taxes. Our last year in NY saw a combined property tax of $4500 on a small 1700 sq, ft. Cape cod. Our proprty tax here on a 2600 sq. ft. Ranch is $930.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Truck alone was around $600 here in Colorado to register when I moved. Back in Georgia it was $20 for the plate. Ad V tax is built in to the price at least for cars/trucks.

I haven't bought my RV yet but I'm expecting around $1000 based on what I paid for my truck and it's value
    2016 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain X 4x4
    No RV Yet. Still looking :)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    My only comment on this is that you always have to look at the overall tax picture. For example, in TX it seems like such a great deal with no income tax until you look at property taxes, toll roads, yearly vehicle inspections etc.
    Glad to see someone point this out. Seems another poster may have as well. While interesting (and fun or not) to compare pieces of the puzzle it is the aggregate that counts. Same goes for incomes and other financial measures.........it is the net of the total big picture pluses and minuses that (as our grandson says) "makes my tummy happy !"

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pnoetzel View Post
    I sure my tag in Minnesota is 15.00 per year for 29RS. Tax was 8% on initial purchase
    Good deal on my 1 ton truck at 130.00 per year.
    Wife’s Toyota Rav 4 tag is 330.00 per year, and we store it 6mo.
    Who knows how they figure it out .....
    For Minn., registration cost is primarily on assessed value. So an older, but initially very expensive, truck can be much cheaper than a new, cheap, car....
    And here, trailers are trailers - all that matters is GVW - smaller ones (boats, etc.) are "lifetime" registration, larger are cheap yearly.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Here in SC, the registration fees and personal property tax are combined in one yearly bill. The plate fee itself is is pretty low. I imagine its that way in many other states that impose a personal property tax on vehicles as well.
    This year the registration fee was $11.00 and the tax was $392. So I wonder if some of those posts above don’t reflect the breakout between DMV plate fees and the personal property tax.
    As former residents of NYS, we had no personal property tax on our vehicles. What we did have was outrageous village, town and county property taxes. Our last year in NY saw a combined property tax of $4500 on a small 1700 sq, ft. Cape cod. Our proprty tax here on a 2600 sq. ft. Ranch is $930.
    Minnow, I’ve always wondered how the heck that works. Do you only pay “pers. property” tax on items that must be registered with the state? Otherwise, how would they know what you’ve acquired in the past year? Just seems wrong, as you’ve already paid sales tax, then you’re taxed because you OWN it? How intrusive!
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    As former residents of NYS, we had no personal property tax on our vehicles. What we did have was outrageous village, town and county property taxes. Our last year in NY saw a combined property tax of $4500 on a small 1700 sq, ft. Cape cod. Our property tax here on a 2600 sq. ft. Ranch is $930.
    Yes, it is insane the number of layers of taxes some towns have here in New York. In many places the monthly tax bill is higher than the mortgage payment, especially in the more depressed locations. If you have a decent house in any of the cities it is not uncommon to have over $1000 a month property tax bill, which over course hurts your resale value. We live in the county and still get hammered on taxes for our rather modest house. I think we are in the range of $6000 per year for a 1600 square foot house. Same house in the villages or cities would be over $10,000 a year. It is a shame because this is such a beautiful place to live but we may be eventually forced to move, especially once I retire.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Minnow, I’ve always wondered how the heck that works. Do you only pay “pers. property” tax on items that must be registered with the state? Otherwise, how would they know what you’ve acquired in the past year? Just seems wrong, as you’ve already paid sales tax, then you’re taxed because you OWN it? How intrusive!
    N
    Yes here in SC, you are taxed yearly on car/trucks/RV’s. Tax is based on value that the state thinks its worth. The state has some book that no one see’s to determine value. Every year the tax goes down as the vehicle depreciates. In my opinion it’s a stupid way to raise revenue as the state is basically encouaging you not to buy a newer vehicle as you’ll be taxed more.
    Overall though its a cheaper place to reside then our former state. Sales tax on vehicles is a flat $500, gas is at least .70 a gallon cheaper than NYS, property taxes, electric rates are way less. No need for fuel oil for heating or yearly service on the oil furnace, etc.
    So overall for us, its a better life.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the good old state of Maine my new 376 sales tax = 4,471.55 Registration = 2760.00 for a grand total of 7,231.55 New 2019 F350 sales tax and reg = 5454.00 Sure takes the wind out of your sail.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast