User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WFCO "Auto-Detect" Lithium Upgrade

Like many others, we upgraded to the new "Auto-Detect" version of the WFCO power center, only to learn it couldn't detect our new LiFePO4 battery. It wasn't a major problem because: 1) we have a solar suitcase with a LiFePO4 charging profile to use while dry camping; and 2) if we have shore power, there is no need for a fully-charged battery. But I'm an electrical engineer, and it bothered me that our new (costly) set-up wasn't working properly, and I did not want to go through the hassle of sending the unit back to have the firmware flashed. So I contacted WFCO support and found out there is a simple upgrade to force the charger into Lithium charging mode (using the original firmware). Shaun was very helpful, sending me both the instructions (attached) and the jumper needed. There is no soldering required, and the jumper can be removed if (for whatever reason) someone wanted to return to flooded lead acid batteries. Note that I created the instructions using the four self-explanatory photos Shaun sent, and our power center is a model WF-8735-AD, so yours may be different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WFCO Lithium Upgrade.pdf  
    Last edited by Biery-Bullock; 01-24-2024 at 01:37 PM.
    Roger & Leonard
    Imagine XLS 21BHE / RAM 1500 5.7L

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Roger and Leonard. I have read in some posts lately that said you can just drop in newer LifePo4 batteries with BMS and you don't have to switch out your lead acid WFCO Power Center. They mention you might not get 100% charged up of the lithium battery. Just wondering, what lithium battery(ies) did you end up getting? And what charge level are you getting? We have a 2019 Grand Design Imagine XLS 19RLE with WFCO 8735P Power Converter. Wondering if your fix will work for me? Thanks for the post.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Runningman. We bought a Li Time 100Ah battery with low temperature cutoff protection to prevent it from being damaged while charging in freezing weather. The flooded lead acid charging profile of your 8735P (what we had) would get it to about 85% of full capacity, which given that you can completely drain a LiFePO4 battery, still offers more usable capacity than the two 75Ah FLA batteries we replaced (drainable to a 50% depth of discharge). As I mentioned in the original post, when on shore power we don't even need a battery, and while dry camping, we have a solar charger that supports Lithium batteries. The fix only applies to the 8735AD (auto-detect) model, not yours, and current versions of the AD units already have the fix built in.
    Roger & Leonard
    Imagine XLS 21BHE / RAM 1500 5.7L

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I installed my lithium batteries, I did swap out my converter from a 55A to a 100A. I purchased one that I could set the output voltage to satisfy the slightly larger voltage the lithium batteries could handle.

As an experiment, I took a 304ah lithium battery and attempted to charge it with the stock/LA converter. I do not recall the results, but it certainly was at least 85% charged when the voltage stabilized. Yes, the last bit takes some time, but it charged way more than what others have mentioned.

Do you need to change the converter? My experience is no. If you are on a budget, get your lithium batteries first. Leave the trailer plugged in days before you go out and you will be fine. The following year, get a converter. As far as I am concerned, the only choice is to get a converter that can pump out the amps. Lithium's can take a faster charge than lead acid without damage so I would take advantage of that. Especially if you got a lot of battery capacity.

When I installed the 100A converter, my 15amp breaker would blow once in a while. I did install a 20amp breaker and confirmed the power distribution box was rated to 20amps. I have not had a problem since. I also confirmed with the manufacturer and they said installing a 20amp breaker was ok.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips !!! It is crazy how fast technology changes!

Cheers
    Ken

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biery-Bullock View Post
    Like many others, we upgraded to the new "Auto-Detect" version of the WFCO power center, only to learn it couldn't detect our new LiFePO4 battery. It wasn't a major problem because: 1) we have a solar suitcase with a LiFePO4 charging profile to use while dry camping; and 2) if we have shore power, there is no need for a fully-charged battery. But I'm an electrical engineer, and it bothered me that our new (costly) set-up wasn't working properly, and I did not want to go through the hassle of sending the unit back to have the firmware flashed. So I contacted WFCO support and found out there is a simple upgrade to force the charger into Lithium charging mode (using the original firmware). Shaun was very helpful, sending me both the instructions (attached) and the jumper needed. There is no soldering required, and the jumper can be removed if (for whatever reason) someone wanted to return to flooded lead acid batteries. Note that I created the instructions using the four self-explanatory photos Shaun sent, and our power center is a model WF-8735-AD, so yours may be different.
    Thanks for reporting on your experience. While I have a deck mount ( WF-9855-AD-CB 55A), it turns out the process is the same. WFCO is sending me the jumper and I plan on installing it in the spring. Your power center is easier to access. The deck mounts have a case that is riveted on. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to pop the rivets without getting debris on the circuit board?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Thanks for reporting on your experience. While I have a deck mount ( WF-9855-AD-CB 55A), it turns out the process is the same. WFCO is sending me the jumper and I plan on installing it in the spring. Your power center is easier to access. The deck mounts have a case that is riveted on. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to pop the rivets without getting debris on the circuit board?
    Uh oh. That's the converter/charger I have. I'll follow this thread more carefully.

Thanks,
    Skip
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE
    2020 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
    Amateur Radio K4EAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where are the thumbnails. i tried to open them and couldn't. clicked on them and nothing happened

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    where are the thumbnails. i tried to open them and couldn't. clicked on them and nothing happened
    When I clicked on the thumbnails I noticed the download notification in my browser. Just clicked on the downloaded file to view the pix.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    It looks like this is your first post, welcome to the forum. As @txarsoncop said, the attachment with the picture should be downloaded by your browser. The file is in pdf format, I have my system set up to automatically open pfds when downloaded, your system may be different.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast