User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prepping the trailer to leave it in the middle of the forest for the winter

We're about 3 weeks away from the end of our summer vacation. We've been living in the trailer since mid-May. It's been wonderful, and can't wait to get back up in next April. I'm starting to create a list of things to do before we leave. We're literally in the middle of the Chattahoochie National Forest, at 1,900 ft elevation. I know we're going to need to winterize the trailer (water lines, antifreeze, etc.) but I've got some other things that I don't know about:

1. Bedding, towels, linen, etc. Can I leave them in the trailer, or do I run the risk of leaving a ready supply of mouse nest building materials?
    2. Talk all food, leave nothing in the camper. What about canned food like soup, corn, etc.?
    3. I've read where you guys have sealed off any entrance paths into the trailer with spray foam. What about the two holes in the front compartment where the water lines, cable TV, etc. come in? Do you cover those openings with foam as well? Where are the typical places that I need to check to make sure I get it all? What about the grate where the hot water heater is? Vent above the stove? Outside refrigerator panel? Furnace exhaust?
    4. I've read about moth ball, dryer sheets, etc. to spread around inside the trailer to help with critter control, but I haven't found anything definitive. What is the best course of action for critter control?

If I were at a location where I could periodically come and check on things I wouldn't be as concerned, but I'll be 700 miles away, and NOBODY will be up here from 1 Dec - 1 Apr (the RV park completely closes down during those dates), so I don't want to come back up in April to a disaster.

Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If mice get in, they will make a mess and it won't matter if there are towels in there or not, they will find something to shred so it might actually be better to have towels available so they leave the furniture alone.

I would not leave canned goods if it will be freezing, they might swell and rupture making a mess. At any rate, having canned goods freeze and thaw would make them something I would not take a chance of eating.

CLose up all the openings you can, be certain there is nothing in there for them to eat and put dryer sheets around is all we have ever done and only once have we had mice bother ours. Of course it is not left out at a campground, it is in our lawn.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember to get the pink stuff in all outside water access lines, even if you didn’t use them.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said the park "shuts down" through the winter? Does this include the electricity? If not, I'd leave a small heater running at low temp to keep things thawed. There's also stuff called mouse-b-gone that you can spray on the undercarriage that discourages mice from entering the trailer. I'd place bait traps in numerous places in the trailer. All this and anti-freeze in the lines should take care of things.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember to pour RV antifreeze into all the sink traps. Be sure to pull the battery and take it with you. They normally will not freeze when fully charged though. I do have a question for you. What kind of snow load can you get there? And could it damage the roof?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put a few sticky traps outside. Dead critters inside tends to stink or worse after a while.

Brian

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jim1521
    Take a look at the bottom edge of the front cap. On my 315 this area is open to the insulated cavity between the cap and interior closet wall. If you look up from under the frame at the front corners there are large gaps. The tongue and frame are a highway to these areas. The gaps in the corners were too large to just fill with foam so I made covers out of sheet aluminum in conjunction with the foam. The use of copper mesh is also handy. Doesn't rust like steel wool and mice don't like it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stuf-fit-Copp...82688548&psc=1

Stuff a little of it in the water and cable entrance hole and snap the lid shut.
    INHO, the first line of defense against rodents is to deny access. I've gone over my trailer pretty extensively. I joke that if my trailer ever winds up in the lake it'll probably float.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    @jim1521
    Take a look at the bottom edge of the front cap. On my 315 this area is open to the insulated cavity between the cap and interior closet wall. If you look up from under the frame at the front corners there are large gaps. The tongue and frame are a highway to these areas. The gaps in the corners were too large to just fill with foam so I made covers out of sheet aluminum in conjunction with the foam. The use of copper mesh is also handy. Doesn't rust like steel wool and mice don't like it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Stuf-fit-Copp...82688548&psc=1

Stuff a little of it in the water and cable entrance hole and snap the lid shut.
    INHO, the first line of defense against rodents is to deny access. I've gone over my trailer pretty extensively. I joke that if my trailer ever winds up in the lake it'll probably float.
    Chief,
    I just took a look at that gap, and you're right - it's pretty substantial.

I'm going to order a couple of rolls of that copper mesh you suggested. My question is: how many rolls do you think it'll take to plug those entry ways up? Do you think 4 will be enough? Thanks.
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use fresh cab in the bag to repel rodents. Its a 100% natural ingredients and it does not smell to bad either. We have never had a mouse problem with it. It works. Make sure you put out enough bags . Scott

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Remember to pour RV antifreeze into all the sink traps. Be sure to pull the battery and take it with you. They normally will not freeze when fully charged though. I do have a question for you. What kind of snow load can you get there? And could it damage the roof?
    They do not get a lot of snow here (northern GA so a little snow buy not heavy snowfalls); it just gets cold. Good idea about the battery. I'll take it with me when we go.

The park shuts down on water and "I believe" electricity as well, but not 100% sure. I wouldn't want to leave an electric heater running though without being here.

I've looked into Fresh Cab, but the problem I see with it is that they only appear to be good for about 1 month - we'll be gone for 4 months.

For the dryer sheets, do I just spread them liberally around the trailer?
    2020 Riverstone 39FK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast