User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Westlake tire failure?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, tread separation or blowout

33 25.58%
  • No

76 58.91%
  • I replaced my Westlake tires with something else

20 15.50%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazz_zup View Post
    Can our factory rims handle the 110 psi required by the Saulin S637?
    Yes they can. Lions Head Tire and Wheel are the suppliers of the wheels to GDRV. They have addressed this in the past and agree that all 16" six and eight lug wheels can handle the 110PSI load. The only caveat is that metal valve stems be used. Do NOT use high pressure rubber stems.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Yes they can. Lions Head Tire and Wheel are the suppliers of the wheels to GDRV. They have addressed this in the past and agree that all 16" six and eight lug wheels can handle the 110PSI load. The only caveat is that metal valve stems be used. Do NOT use high pressure rubber stems.

Jim
    Jim,
    Lionshead also confirmed, the 5 lug wheels will also handle 80 psi. I run mine at the same 65 psi with my E rated Goodyear Endurance tires but I did inquire with Lionshead for this information.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim
    Great to hear. I am having metal valve stems installed along with my new Sailun tires!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, even with that horrible news, welcome!

Jim
    Thank you for the welcome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Jim. I'll make sure to add metal valve stems to my order.
    2017 Ram 3500 SRW, Laramie. PullRite Superglide 2700 16K. Transfer Flow 40 gal tank in bed.
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, We are negotiating on a 297rsts this week. I also am concerned with the tires! The dealer told me at the factory tour, they told them out of 65,000 trailers sold with Westlake tires they had , only 2 warranty issues from them! Which is a lie, since I have already read several warranty issues on this forum! So, no matter what the poll says, seems there are many with total tire failure which is life threatening! If we go through with this buy, I will be changing tires, which I have to consider in the purchase price! Other wise we will go back to the Jayco we priced with the GoodYear Endurance already on the trailer!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kept my Westlakes on for two seasons. One trip to Utah from WV and the second season a trip to Colorado with many two and three hundred mile trips in between. I paid close attention to tire pressure. Things went well with no issues. However I just replaced them with Goodyear Endurance tires thinking my luck had to be running low. For what RV's cost you would think a manufacturer would put the finest tires on that money can buy. I also believe many tire failures are caused by lack of tire pressure monitoring.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTParker View Post
    Hey, We are negotiating on a 297rsts this week. I also am concerned with the tires! The dealer told me at the factory tour, they told them out of 65,000 trailers sold with Westlake tires they had , only 2 warranty issues from them! Which is a lie, since I have already read several warranty issues on this forum! So, no matter what the poll says, seems there are many with total tire failure which is life threatening! If we go through with this buy, I will be changing tires, which I have to consider in the purchase price! Other wise we will go back to the Jayco we priced with the GoodYear Endurance already on the trailer!
    I also went two seasons and about 6,000 miles on the original Westlakes. I made the switch to GY Endurance also, and am very pleased with them. I have about 3,000 miles on the new tires, and believe the ride is smoother and more stable. The new tires are heftier and seem to have stiffer sidewalls.

The set of GY Endurance can be bought between $550 x $750. I bought five to include the spare. There are also deals to be had on occasion from Goodyear. Others have sold their Westlakes for a couple hundred bucks, making the net even less. You may consider that if you replace them right away.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just voted as one of the ones that replaced the Westlake tires before they decided to come apart. I have 9700 miles on mine and thought I was pushing it since when I picked up the trailer two of the tires had only 40PSI in them. That means they were towed from Elkhart to Southeast Missouri by We-R-Bubbas Transportation Company at who knows what speed and what damage that might have done to them. I also found a cut in one of the sidewalls when I was taking the tires off of the trailer and the left rear one had uneven wear on it. For the most part three of the tires still looked fairly new with little wear, except for the cut sidewall. Now I have an appointment next week to take the trailer in to see why the one tire was worn so much. I don't think it is an alignment issue which leaves a bent spindle or axle. I wish they put heavier axles under these things.

Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tires.jpg   Tires2.jpg   Tires3.jpg  
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shortly after delivery, I took my '17 Reflection 307 MKS.... (UVW 9850#) on an 8 month 16,000 mile trip around the US ( My second such journey)
    My trailer came with Westlake 235 85R 16E tires, they performed well, and wore evenly.

I think there are many factors that attribute to this (and the other 60%) with failure-free tires.
    I ALWAYS check pressure before, during and after a pull. I laser check tire temps at stops for variations. Every couple of weeks I double-check torque and especially relevant is that I rarely drive over 65 mph.
    I never exceed the GVWR of the trailer (12,995 #) and usually weigh-in about 11K total.

I've seen many blow-outs and failures, from many different companies, and every time I ask the rig owner , 90% of the time , they "missed" one or more of these safety factors.

It's impossible for this poll to verify if everyone (who has had a blow-out or a failure) have followed these above parameters on a regular basis, so it cannot be taken without a grain of salt... IMHO !!

That said...after a couple more years I do intend to swap them for the Sailun S637's. I see no benefit upgrading to another E-rated tire unless the rim specifically called for it.
    Just my two cents...

Michael
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast