User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathroom skylight shade

We have a 2017 310GK and would like to cut down on the heat and light coming through the shower skylight. Has anybody purchased one of these?
    https://www.amazon.com/Window-Sunsha...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Looks like it will fit the entry door also.
    2017 Ram 3500 SRW, Laramie. PullRite Superglide 2700 16K. Transfer Flow 40 gal tank in bed.
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is just a blackout shade for a typical entry door. I believe Camco makes a pillow looking thing that blacks out and insulates the skylights.
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2018 Dodge Ram 4500 4x4 4 door flatbed Cummins Aisin 4.10s

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GravesDiesel View Post
    That is just a blackout shade for a typical entry door. I believe Camco makes a pillow looking thing that blacks out and insulates the skylights.
    They make an insulated vent insert that fits inside a 14" vent. But not one that fits a skylight.
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat.../dp/B0024E6QX0
    Last edited by livinthelife; 05-15-2019 at 05:17 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pillow won't hold in the opening. It tapers...wide closest to your head to more narrow higher up.
    The opening is about 16 x 24.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did remove the inner skylight cover in my previous unit and put a piece of 1" flexible white foam insulation in there. It blocked about half of the light and definitely helped with heat. Have not thought about that yet on my current one since we just got it in December but I did see there are some smoke colored outer covers for the skylights. I have similar covers over my fans. It helps a lot with too much light coming in.
    2018 Grand Design Momentum 350M
    2018 Dodge Ram 4500 4x4 4 door flatbed Cummins Aisin 4.10s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my old trailer I cut a piece of 1/4" foam core board to fit the opening and then held it up with a couple spring tension curtain rods. Worked great!
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab PSD SRW

Former set up:
    2013 Kodiak 291RESL
    2017 Ford F150 Platinum

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GravesDiesel View Post
    I did remove the inner skylight cover in my previous unit and put a piece of 1" flexible white foam insulation in there. It blocked about half of the light and definitely helped with heat. Have not thought about that yet on my current one since we just got it in December but I did see there are some smoke colored outer covers for the skylights. I have similar covers over my fans. It helps a lot with too much light coming in.
    The white foam board sound like a plausible solution. I do have the window sunshades coming. Between the two ideas, it may work.
    Thank you.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a reflective sun shade for a car. Cut down to fit and held on with velcro. Easy to take off and on.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BC315RLTS View Post
    In my old trailer I cut a piece of 1/4" foam core board to fit the opening and then held it up with a couple spring tension curtain rods. Worked great!
    One thing I would suggest. The home improvement stores, and Amazon have thermal barriers, you can put them between the eve 2x6’s and they reflect infrared heat waves. These are reflective barriers that look to have Mylar (think emergency space blankets) sandwiched on both side with a bubble wrap type of middle. In older construction here in Texas these are widely used, and can cut electricity use by 50% or more. You can apply some adhesive to closed cell foam, and custom size to fit your skylight. The thermal barriers are called by various names, but an “attic blanket” would be common.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the trim and added some shade cloth. Blocks the heat but allows light to come through. Very cheap as well. Most home stores carry it. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Easy-Garden...e-Foot/3054807

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast