User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Westlake Tires

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KB5SET View Post
    Westlake tires came on my RSTS297. With less than 10,000 miles (18 months)one tire had a belt separation. Another of the four was out of round.
    I got lucky and my mechanic found it while repacking the wheel bearings so I avoided a blowout.
    I was very meticulous about checking air pressure and monitoring the hubs for heat.

My advice is if you plan to travel long distances get rid of those cheap Westlake" may pops" before you leave town.
    What load range and size were the Westlakes on your 297? Just curious because I know some of the 297's came with 15" LRE tires and some came with the 16" LRE tires which have a lot more capacity. I have the 16" ones so just wondering what size were the ones that you had trouble with.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tires

It has the 15 inch rims and I don't recall the load code but the max load was like 2650 pounds.
    225 70R 15

They specified 80 psi inflation and the speed code was 75 mph.

I am not overloaded and my max speed is 65 mph

I hope this answers your questions.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KB5SET View Post
    It has the 15 inch rims and I don't recall the load code but the max load was like 2650 pounds.
    225 70R 15

They specified 80 psi inflation and the speed code was 75 mph.

I am not overloaded and my max speed is 65 mph

I hope this answers your questions.
    Thanks for the response. Based on the load of the trailer and the tires I was not concerned that you were overloaded. I was more interested if you had the 15" or 16" to give me a bit of piece of mind or not. I am traveling to Myrtle Beach soon and have about 7000 miles on my Westlakes and you had me thinking. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    What load range and size were the Westlakes on your 297? Just curious because I know some of the 297's came with 15" LRE tires and some came with the 16" LRE tires which have a lot more capacity. I have the 16" ones so just wondering what size were the ones that you had trouble with.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Hi Rob. I've been looking at 2019 and 2020 297's and they all came with the 15 inch wheels and tires as did the 2017's. Just curious how you ended up with 16's.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Hi Rob. I've been looking at 2019 and 2020 297's and they all came with the 15 inch wheels and tires as did the 2017's. Just curious how you ended up with 16's.
    From what I can gather the early 2018 units, mine was built in September 2018, GD decided to upgrade to 16" tires. Brochure even stated that for 2018 models. It was short lived though as the 16" tires could hit the slideout ram. There was a recall on these units to add a 1" height extension to the spring and equalizer shackles to provide the extra clearance. I am quite happy with the 16" tires as it gives me about 4000 lbs margin to the GVWR of the 297RSTS.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Seasoned Camper Dive Bar Casanova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$2400 damage from the China Bomb tread separation. Each side, had them go South both sides.
    "They're just as good as GoodYears" they told me.

Replaced with GoodYear 14 ply steel.
    CHP told me the drivers side tires are usually the first to go but I've learned any tire can be the first to go.
    This happened on the I15 on a midsummers day just North of Mesquite Nv. on the Arizona triangle.

When we ordered our 398M the dealer insisted they no longer come with a spare tire.
    So I ordered the unit and went out and bought a spare. I won't buy from Orange County Ca. GD dealers.
    Orange County GD dealers have very low ratings and their services depts too. Customer horror stories from people I know and online tales and they all wanted about $30 - $36K more for the unit.

So buying in Nor Cal I wasn't going to travel home to So Cali with the trailer with no spare. So I bought a spare.
    Well, the unit came in and has a spare and a really nice mounting system in the most excellent location. GD was on their game and really did it right. NO big deal, now I have two spares and everyone in our off road group carries 2 as well.
    Last edited by Dive Bar Casanova; 09-10-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    From what I can gather the early 2018 units, mine was built in September 2018, GD decided to upgrade to 16" tires. Brochure even stated that for 2018 models. It was short lived though as the 16" tires could hit the slideout ram. There was a recall on these units to add a 1" height extension to the spring and equalizer shackles to provide the extra clearance. I am quite happy with the 16" tires as it gives me about 4000 lbs margin to the GVWR of the 297RSTS.

Rob
    That's interesting. I seem to remember something about that. My 2017 315RLTS had 15" LRE tires. They looked kinda small under there. Our new 2020 315 has 16" wheels and 2X2 square tube to raise it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting. I seem to remember something about that. My 2017 315RLTS had 15" LRE tires. They looked kinda small under there. Our new 2020 315 has 16" wheels and 2X2 square tube to raise it.
    We have a 2018 Reflection 303rls, built in March of 2018 and we have the 16 inch tires with the 2" square channel to lift the frame. We have no issues with the slide hitting the tires.
    Happy campers! / Lorna & Eric and our little furball, Finnan, Canandaigua, NY
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, Allison 6 speed transmission, 5th wheel setup, Pullrite SuperGlide 20k
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Built 3/2018, Dual AC's

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim the 2x2 square tubing makes sense now. When I look under mine probably nearly 2" shackle extensions. Just happy to have the extra load capacity on the tires. Most of the time the load ratings on trailer tires barely cover the GVWR and sometimes like on my Rockwood FR took hitch weight off the GVWR and rated the tires and axles for that to save a couple of buck. Way to close for comfort, especially now that I have learned so much over the last 15 years of RVing.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13k miles over the past 12 months: Colorado to New Orleans to Alaska to Wyoming and we had our first blow out today. I'm ok with that.

Advice for everyone out there... invest the money on after market TPMS. Saved the tire behind it, threw on the spare, and I'm the now the proud owner of four new Firestone tires.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast