Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question TPMS and Metal High Pressure Value Stems Revisited

I've seen several posts on this topic, but wanted to revisit the issues before I pull the trigger on purchasing a TPMS system for my yet to be delivered 2019 Solitude 310GK.

1. I seen posts that say the G rate tires on the Solitudes are coming with medal high pressure value stems now. Can anyone validate this for me?
    2. I've seen multi posts about going to medal High pressure value stems even if the manufacture of the TPMS says rubber value stems are ok. Thoughts?
    3. If you added Medal high pressure value stems to your units, what type did you add?
    4. I've narrowed my TPMS down to either the TST 507 (latest model), EEZ Tire and Tire Mender A1A. Any one have thoughts on either unit from your experiences with either of the models?

I know most of these questions are subjective, but interested in your thoughts before I make the plunge to my first TPMS product.
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 08-02-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Title spelling
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most people that use TPMS sensors for their trailer are running metal valve stems. I switched to metal valve stems when I replaced my Westlake tires (E rated) with Goodyear G614's (G rated) then added TPMS sensors.

I have the TST 507 TPMS system. It works fine but I would much prefer a system that displayed all the tire pressures on the screen at the same time. Having to wait for the system to scroll through all the tires one by one is annoying and dangerous IMO because you have to take your eyes off the road too frequently.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TexasUmpire - I am still running high pressure (80psi) rubber/brass valve stems on both truck and 5th wheel . . . because TireMinder says this is OK to do. About 80,000 miles on the truck and 20,000 miles on the trailer. No problems. Quality metal valve stems can be difficult to find and some have had problems with the cheaper versions of metal stems.

This is NOT an endorsement for Tireminder. I think there may be more "robust" systems out there. See https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...r-False-Alarm?

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 08-02-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the EEZ Tire system and it works fine with the metal stems when I upgraded the tires to Sailuns. Then again it worked fine with the rubber and metal stems with the Westlakes as well.

I do need a signal booster however.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the inputs so far. Love this site.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2018 Solitude with the G rated Westlakes has metal valve stems. I use screw-on TPMS model TST-507 from Truck System Technologies. I couldn't find metal valve stems suitable for my truck's dual rear wheels. Luckily, TST makes internal metal-clamp mounted TPMS TST-507's also for the truck. Works great.
    Rob M
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post
    I've seen several posts on this topic, but wanted to revisit the issues before I pull the trigger on purchasing a TPMS system for my yet to be delivered 2019 Solitude 310GK.

2. I've seen multi posts about going to medal High pressure value stems even if the manufacture of the TPMS says rubber value stems are ok. Thoughts?
    Texas - I had 2 rubber valve stems fail due to the weight of the TPMS sensor. First one on the inside dual of a Ram 3500. Latest on a small cargo trailer used to haul a motorcycle back and forth to Florida. What ever system you choose, I strongly recommend metal valve stems no matter what the manufacturer says.
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS, purchased April 2018. 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (I need a bigger truck!). Oswego NY in the summer, Ft. Myers Beach, Fl in the winter. GD is my summer home. Previously owned: 2015 Rockwood 2604WS; 2012 KZ Stoneridge 43' toy hauler; 2005 Titanium 39' toy hauler.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post

1. I seen posts that say the G rate tires on the Solitudes are coming with medal high pressure value stems now. Can anyone validate this for me?
    Our 2018 310GK was manufactured 11/2017, and it has metal stems.

I look forward to seeing what TPMS you decide to buy, and why. A friend today recommended the TST 507:

http://tsttruck.com/collections/kits...yscale-display

He's convinced it's the best one out there and I'm sure nobody will disagree with that. Looks like @RobMartin agrees in post #7 .

However I'm lookin' to get schooled, hope your thread stirs up other opinions.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMartin View Post
    My 2018 Solitude with the G rated Westlakes has metal valve stems. I use screw-on TPMS model TST-507 from Truck System Technologies. I couldn't find metal valve stems suitable for my truck's dual rear wheels. Luckily, TST makes internal metal-clamp mounted TPMS TST-507's also for the truck. Works great.
    Rob M
    As I understand it the TST 507 was recently updated and they no longer produce the 510. Leaning towards the TST 507. Wondering if the pass thru (check air or inflate without removing sensor) is the way to go. Not found anyone yet that is using it. Also TST is offering GD owners 15 percent off right now.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the TST 507 non-flow through. I did not use the security ring. Not concerned about someone stealing them and it’s easier to remove if psi needs adjustment. I’ve read others using the flow-through, and believe I’ve read that at least one of those was leaking (but that could occur anyway). If you go with the flow through, I would suggest you use the metal valve stems as TST directs. Even though my model states it’s an option, I went ahead and put the metal ones on. Small add on for comfort. I also use the booster even though it may not be necessary. I’m pleased with this system.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast