User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful out there!

Today I was on the last leg of my 3-week, 2000mi journey. Overall the weather had been pretty good, until today. I ran into torrential rain, wind, and poor visibility. As I was about 100 miles from home, I was probably driving a little faster than I should have been. Anyway, I was passed like I was standing still by a Ford dually towing a stick and tin trailer. My first thought was “holy cow, that dude is flying”. 2nd thought was “that’s a lot of truck for that little camper”. About 20 seconds later and 100yards in front of me (the limit of my visibility) I saw mud, grass, and a large object moving in the wrong direction.

After a brief panic jump on the brakes I saw it was the speeding camper. I pulled over to see if the guy was ok. He was physically fine. He was delivering a new camper to its owners today. I’m guessing the new looking F450 and Keystone Sprinter were totaled. He said the trailer whipped around on him. I’m guessing sway got out of control (speed, windy, uneven road lanes). I forgot to see what hitch he had. The F450 and camper slammed into the wood post/cable median guard rail. The trailer had whipped far enough around to smash itself into the side of the truck.

I snapped this pic after I got back to my truck. You can believe I slowed down after that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB432DE2-47E7-4EEE-85D2-2AD36CA9F754.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	14258
    Sorry, don’t know why the pic is upside down.
    Eric & Sandra
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear he wasn't hurt. I don't believe delivery drivers use wd hitches.

Jim

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flipped the pix for you

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a speedy lesson. Glad there was only property damage.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I see these people all the time and I'm not a slow driver.
    Since my truck is a diesel and my trailer weighs about the same as the truck, I fly up long steep hills relatively easily.
    So I routinely pass Class A's and C's and people towing with half ton gassers, because I'm doing 70 mph uphill.
    But every now and then I see a dually, it's always a dually, flying past me doing 90+ while towing some tiny lightweight cheapo trailer or a junky rust bucket.
    I never see them going that fast pulling a big 5er or anything nice looking.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I never see them going that fast pulling a big 5er or anything nice looking.
    Need to visit the I-10 corridor between Mobile, AL and Jacksonville, FL on any holiday weekend. This past 4th of July I had a Dodge 3500 Dually dragging a 3 axle 5er zip right by my M240i on the right lane, I was doing just a tad under 87, top down... shame on me for going slow I guess.
    Rig: 2018 Grand Design - Imagine 2500RL
    Tow Vehicle: 2018 F150 - Black on Black - SuperCrew XLT-FX4 - 3.5L EB w/3.31 LSD - MaxTow/Haul - 5Stare Tune - Luminar Ceramic Tint w/UV - UltraFlex TBed Cover
    Garage Queen: 2018 BMW ///M240i Convertible - Loaded - Dinan Stage 1 Tune - MPE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad no one was hurt. We are never in a hurry and drive around 62mph cause ST tires are only rated for 65 mph. We are always amazed how fast people drive with there trailers. Takes more time to stop if needed and don't understand why most people are in such a big hurry. Life goes by fast enough!! Slow down and enjoy! Tara
    Steve & Tara Smiley
    2014 3500 HD Silverado
    2017 Reflection 27RL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsmiley72 View Post
    Slow down and enjoy!
    So true i need more characters
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 SB SRW Turbo Diesel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsmiley72 View Post
    Glad no one was hurt. We are never in a hurry and drive around 62mph cause ST tires are only rated for 65 mph. We are always amazed how fast people drive with there trailers. Takes more time to stop if needed and don't understand why most people are in such a big hurry. Life goes by fast enough!! Slow down and enjoy! Tara
    Hi Tara - I agree that it's a great idea to keep the speed down for safety and enjoyment. But if you're running on Westlake tires, they are rated for 75mph. And the new ST tires from Goodyear are rated for 87mph. Not that any of us would try to drive those speeds, but it's good to know there is a buffer between the max rated speed and the actual speed they are driven at.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy stuff. Driving that fast, much less with a load, in weather like that is dangerous. Glad everyone was ok, maybe he learned something that day.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN