Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Phyllis - High humidity might be working in your favour. In the GDRV manufacturing process, the glue that bonds the wall layers together is activated with moisture (high humidity). Perhaps the low humidity and high heat of Arizona, is reversing this moisture activated glue bond. (just a theory . . . no proof)

Rob
    I hope so. Thanks Rob!

Phyllis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, sorry to you having this issue. Rookies like me look up to you so let’s see what GD cab do for one of the good guys,
    Rick & B
    2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L, LB, SRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS Fifth Wheel
    Pullrite Superlite 20K

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TucsonJim - Did you get to speak to one of the GD reps at Quartzsite before you had to leave?
    Last edited by JColeman; 01-19-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible news Jim. Will you be at the rally in Vegas this year?
    Rick & B
    2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L, LB, SRW
    2019 Reflection 337RLS Fifth Wheel
    Pullrite Superlite 20K

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    TucsonJim - Did you get to speak to one of the GD reps at Quartzsite before you had to leave?
    I did not get a chance. I had planned on showing it to Jack for his thoughts, but had to leave before that happened.

Jim

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawgWild View Post
    Terrible news Jim. Will you be at the rally in Vegas this year?
    We are going to attend the Vegas rally this year Rick. Drop on by for a beer.

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    While washing our 2017 297RSTS today, I found a 6' x 6' area of the right front wall that appears to be delaminated. In other words, the outer fiberglass does not appear to be bonded to the interior wall. I've got a service request into the customer service center, but I'm not real happy about how they answered. The representative kept repeating that they will only cover it under warranty if it is their manufacturing defect. He seemed quick to hint at water damage even though he hadn't seen any photos or evidence pointing that direction. And then he said the service center is totally booked until June 2019. So I've sent video to customer service and escalated it up the chain of command to make sure that this gets taken care of.

Since we'll be attending the rally in Elkhart in August, I'd like to get it addressed at that time. Does anyone have any factual data that suggests it is unsafe to use the trailer until that time?

Check out this video of the wall movement:

DELAMINATION

Jim
    Oh Damn Jim,
    That really sucks......period.
    I've got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach just watching your video. Really feel for ya, pal !!

Very happy that GD has agreed to respond positively, but kinda concerned about WHY they have such a long wait in service center ???
    Just how many issues are they having, that back-up their sizable service center for such a wait ??
    Hope their reach hasn't exceeded their grasp ??
    Growing too quickly can do that.

I usually walk around my trailer knocking on the walls to listen for that dreaded "hollow thud" that indicates a bonding failure.
    GD uses a pinch roller to adhere sidewall luan and fiberglass panels to the substrate Styrofoam and aluminum framing.
    I NEVER liked this newer system due to the fact that the glue must be "tacky" to properly bond to wall sheathing.
    If glue dries just a bit too much, a poor bond is possible.

My first fiver was a '01 Sunnybrook which had screwed aluminum framing and actual screwed on luan plywood with hand-hung fiberglass walls.
    I don't think they ever had a delam problem. I really loved their construction.
    Afterwards, manufacturers were using vacuum bonding "bags" to laminate walls which were screwed aluminum framed structures. This was also a great method as it used the weight of gravity to thoroughly bond the framed/insulated walls together and usually overnight, keeping extreme pressure on the walls until glued cured.

Presently, it seems most of these manufacturers rely solely on a perimeter frame of aluminum and the window/door framing, to construct their walls with white Styrofoam filling in between the framing. The problem is they rely too much on the adhesive (which is dependent on human interaction to properly "time" the bonding process of the lamination).
    It is reasonable to assume this "glue timing" depends on environmental conditions, as well as human interaction, which are just too many variables for my liking.

I wonder if it would be possible to ascertain whether GD installed actual aluminum framing behind my awnings ?? Maybe a stud finder can "locate" any framing members or just "see" the plates ?? I am fairly certain that the galvanized plates do NOT provide an adequate support for the pressures exerted on the walls from the awning weight alone , let alone structural stresses put upon the wall with the wind and/or rain load. Use these awnings thoughtfully and NEVER leave the trailer with awnings extended..

Luckily, we have GD's amazing Customer Service behind us.... which allows me to sleep just a little better at night...Let's hope that doesn't change. !!

Sorry for the long post, once I get started....

Michael
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post

Very happy that GD has agreed to respond positively, but kinda concerned about WHY they have such a long wait in service center ???
    Just how many issues are they having, that back-up their sizable service center for such a wait ??
    Hope their reach hasn't exceeded their grasp ??
    Growing too quickly can do that.

Michael
    Michael - I probably could have gotten into the service center earlier, but since I was going to Indiana for this year's rally, it worked out for the best for all parties involved.

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim,
    Are there any spots left at that Rally.
    Think I'd like to come to meet you, Rob, and the other SM's as well as some of the others from the Forum !!

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Previously known as mikgala

F-250 7.3 PSD Lariat Super Cab LB wt 152K - 25 row Ford tranny cooler, A&E Air Intake system, TS-6 high performance Super Chip, Air Ride airbags, Bilstein shocks

2017 Reflection 307 MKS 9,875 UVW / 12,995 GVWR / 1,605 Pin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikgala View Post
    Hey Jim,
    Are there any spots left at that Rally.
    Think I'd like to come to meet you, Rob, and the other SM's as well as some of the others from the Forum !!

Michael

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Michael, we'd love to have you join us. Rally sign ups are scheduled to start on April 2nd. Keep an eye on the forum and more details will be posted as the time approaches.

Jim

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast