Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CPAP usage inquiry

Pulled the trigger on Friday and ordered a 295RL. We did a tremendous amount of research and determined that unit will best fit our needs. One question, of many, that I'm hoping those doing the same can answer. I use a CPAP at night. Probably half of our camping is without hookups in the quieter section of our provincial parks here in Ontario. With our previous Passport 23RB I was able to use a small inverter plugged into a 12 volt recepticle and run the CPAP off of that. How do I get a 12 volt recepticle into the vicinity of the bed in the 295RL? We don't pick the thing up until May but I am hoping I can feed a power line from the bed area through the bulkhead to the battery bank. Has aybody done this?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your unit is similar up front to mine. First contact Grand Design and ask for the structural floor plan for the front. Tell them what your trying to do, This will help determine the bracing under the bed room. You should also be able to see from the front compartment (battery) forward too. Here is how I ran 12V to power mine.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...highlight=CPAP

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 295RL is pretty similar to the old Jayco 26.5RLS I used to have. For that one, I mounted an 800w inverter in the pass through storage, as close to the batteries as I could get it. That kept the need for heavy 12v wire runs to a minimum. Then I ran what was actually a heavy duty extension cord up into the entertainment hutch. Also a remote switch for the inverter, so I didn't have to go outside to turn it on/off. I could use the cord to power the TV (which is 120v) while boondocking. (The rest of the audio/dvd equip was 12v). At night ran the cord to the bedroom for the CPAP (which was 24v, so couldn't wire it direct to the batteries), and if there was really a need for any other 120v (not high amp), I had the cord for it. 2 6v batteries, and being real stingy on power use, and we could get through 2-2 1/2 days camping without recharging.
    Not the most efficient use of power, as the inverter uses electricity to convert, and the CPAP then had to knock it back down again, also wasting a bit of power. But, not needing long runs of heavy 12v wire, and having flexibility in what I could power were a decent trade off.
    The cord was a bit "kludgy", but the wife didn't mind, and since I was the last to bed and first up, it was not generally in the way.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent you a PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKI367BHS View Post
    I sent you a PM.
    If that was me you meant, never got it. If not me...nevermind!
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)