Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    White Rock BC formally East caost guy from Halifax
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bunk or back window?

Looking to purchase our first 5th Wheel. We had decided on a bunk model that would support our grandkids and other family. At a dinner party on Saturday one of our guests and another 5iver commented on how she loved to camp and look out the back window at the water etc. Suddenly a light bulb comes on and we realize just how nice that would be. So my question.
    Is the back window truly appreciated or would you prefer the bunks. On a side note we have been told on many occasions to purchase a unit for ourselves and not our quests. Opinions please !!!

Thanks
    John

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halifax Jack View Post
    Looking to purchase our first 5th Wheel. We had decided on a bunk model that would support our grandkids and other family. At a dinner party on Saturday one of our guests and another 5iver commented on how she loved to camp and look out the back window at the water etc. Suddenly a light bulb comes on and we realize just how nice that would be. So my question.
    Is the back window truly appreciated or would you prefer the bunks. On a side note we have been told on many occasions to purchase a unit for ourselves and not our quests. Opinions please !!!

Thanks
    John
    You are the ones living there. "purchase a unit for ourselves and not our quests" seems like a really good idea.

My wife and I appreciate every bit of window and natural light we can get in our 310GK. The back window is an important part of that. I'd put the grand-chitlins on a fold out when they come. Being just a little bit uncomfortable is what gives them character.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what you and @JColeman said about buying for yourself. The grandkids will sleep anywhere (outside in tents, on the floor, cots, or even locked in the storage compartment below ). Other guests are usually okay on the hide a bed with a memory foam mattress topper for a few nights. If you ever visit a campground that has water or nice scenery, you will appreciate the back window view.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    You are the ones living there. "purchase a unit for ourselves and not our quests" seems like a really good idea.

My wife and I appreciate every bit of window and natural light we can get in our 310GK. The back window is an important part of that. I'd put the grand-chitlins on a fold out when they come. Being just a little bit uncomfortable is what gives them character.
    That's what we did. We purchased a small 5th wheel (26RL). It only sleeps two (has theater seats no pull out sofa).

I like the back window, if we're in a spot that we actually can get a view there. If you're in a park that has back in-only spots back to back, you basically are looking at someone else's back window. Or, sometimes, just bushes.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, purchase the unit for yourselves not for guests.

We lived in 5th wheel with 3 bunks and 4 kids (yea the math didn't work out ... but I pulled it with a semi truck so that was bunk #4 ), wife and 2 dogs for 2 years. We thought about getting the 377MBS because it has an office which can double as as bunks and has a loft but opted on the 384GK for us. Guest and the grand kids can sleep on the pullout couch if the stay the night(s). The windows are really nice. Get to see dear as they come out of the woods behind us ... and the dogs just love the view :-)

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of our favorite things about rving is being around water. We always go for a backin spot on a stream , river , or lake. We didn't even look at units without the rear picture window.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We opted for the mid bunk Reflection 367BHS fifth wheel so that we could have that desirable rear living/rear window setup. Certainly our preference. As others have stated do what works the best for you the guests can “grin and bear” anything for a few days.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is one thing if you have young kids with you all the time.

Another if the grand kids come for a week or two or visit in the summer. They don't care where they sleep, the novelty of being in the RV, being different and being with the grand parents is what makes them happy.

So get it for you. Unless your living situation is different than most at your age or you want the bunks for storage, office or some other purpose the rear window is probably a better fit. You an throw an air mattress down for visitors.

Floor plan is the single most important thing in deciding what to buy. Get what YOU need and want. Everyone else can deal when they come over.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halifax Jack View Post
    Is the back window truly appreciated or would you prefer the bunks. On a side note we have been told on many occasions to purchase a unit for ourselves and not our quests. Opinions please !!!Thanks John
    As grandparents to 3 toddlers we debated this very thing. Tried to estimate the number of nights per year we would actually the grands and the number of nights without. For us we figured we can put them in a tent, on the couch or in the recliners for the few nights per year we would have them. No regrets to date and the little ones don't seem to care where they sleep. And if the toddlers are in a tent, so are the parents
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 02-11-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have 3 grand kids. Bought a new trailer this year and my wife wanted the sofa for extra sleeping for the kids. I finally talked her into the theatre seating since the kids only come with us once or twice a year. One can sleep on an air mattress. Funny thing is when we showed the kids the first thing the oldest said was can she sleep on the recliner. Buy for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast