User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic Refrigerator Issue

My Reflection 337RLS has the Dometic 12 cu.ft. fridge, and we've been having issues. First, the fridge stopped working on electric, and would run on propane only. It's plugged in, there's power through the fridge cord, and the outlet is wired correctly. Most recently it's been having issues with failed ignition--basically it says "LP" and stopped working even though we've got a full tank. We found that cycling the power temporarily resolved failed ignition issue. Anybody else have one or more of these issues?

The local Grand Design dealer has no appointments until February--that won't work and I might be willing to fix this myself. Anybody else have to deal with this? How did you fix it?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact Dometic directly and see if they have another authorized service center within a reasonable distance of where you are located. Maybe they'll authorize you to go there.

Our Reflection came with an Atwood 8.5 foot fridge that we really liked. But it was impaled in an accident. We have a large RV refrigerator shop close by, and they suggested replacing it with the comparable Dometic unit. It was 1 inch thicker which required me to cut into the insulation on back of the fiberglass outer skin. It's been flawless through 3 1/2 years' use, however. I did construct all new baffling on top of the fridge to push the heat out of the top side vent so it breathes much better.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 337 and my Dometic was not cooling sufficiently. The original dealer I purchased the unit from didn't find anything wrong. I then had warranty work performed by Camping Connection in Myrtle Beach. They had discussions with Dometic and they ended up replacing the cooling unit. The unit is now maintaining a good temp.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were having starting issues on propane and we took it to the dealer and they discovered the gap on the igniter was closed thus not creating a spark to light it.
    2018 337RLS
    2018 GMC Denal 3500 SRW short bed
    PUllrite Superglide 2700 16k

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    My Reflection 337RLS has the Dometic 12 cu.ft. fridge, and we've been having issues. First, the fridge stopped working on electric, and would run on propane only. It's plugged in, there's power through the fridge cord, and the outlet is wired correctly. Most recently it's been having issues with failed ignition--basically it says "LP" and stopped working even though we've got a full tank. We found that cycling the power temporarily resolved failed ignition issue. Anybody else have one or more of these issues?

The local Grand Design dealer has no appointments until February--that won't work and I might be willing to fix this myself. Anybody else have to deal with this? How did you fix it?
    Chemist308--I moved your thread to the Appliances section so it can be found by those with a similar issue.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I contacted Dometic and they gave me 4 places to call. Called last week during normal business hours. One answered and claimed they only do body work. Another had an answering machine, and the call was never returned. The other 2 rang and rang but were not answered on repeated calls. So much for that. With the repair shop backups it looks like I either deal with prolonged loss of use or pay myself to have a mobile repair do it.

Maybe Dometic toilets are great, but GD uses the cheaper option. Gotta believe they did here as well. Well if the expected life of a Dometic fridge and water heater is this short, who makes better RV appliances?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shortly after that last post I did manage to find a Dometic mobile repair service that will charge me for the service call. They won't get to me until the 20'th, and won't do the repair until Dometic authorizes it. That's quite a bit of loss of use for someone that full times. One of things that pisses me about this is I never bought a Dometic fridge. I bought a Grand Design RV. Think of it this way; if Ford directed you to a different parts manufacturer every time your truck broke down under warranty, you'd buy something else next time.

Anyway all this pretty upset and researching class action lawsuits. While I didn't find one for my issue, I did find that these refrigerators tend to have coolant leaks resulting in fires--there is a class action suit over that. Thought I'd share: https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/dometi...ions-and-fires

Anyway it looks like 2 were filed; one in Florida, and one in California. Dometic managed to get the one in Florida dismissed, but not the one in California. I'd be interested to see how this plays out, but it makes me wonder if this is part of why GD moved to residential refrigerators in Solitudes.
    Last edited by chemist308; 11-08-2018 at 07:16 AM. Reason: fixed the link

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s more like your house than your Ford. When I bought my home if I had a problem with my fridge I was working with GE not my builder.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were told at the Masseys rally to call Grand Design 1st. They should go to bat for us.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    So I contacted Dometic and they gave me 4 places to call. Called last week during normal business hours. One answered and claimed they only do body work. Another had an answering machine, and the call was never returned. The other 2 rang and rang but were not answered on repeated calls. So much for that. With the repair shop backups it looks like I either deal with prolonged loss of use or pay myself to have a mobile repair do it.

Maybe Dometic toilets are great, but GD uses the cheaper option. Gotta believe they did here as well. Well if the expected life of a Dometic fridge and water heater is this short, who makes better RV appliances?
    So- what was the outcome?
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast