User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other part of this comparative analysis is "duty cycle". This is how long the compressor can run before it has to be shut off to cool down. Some of the small 12V compressors advertise that they can reach 100psi . . . but with a 15% duty cycle. It is going to take a lot of on/off/wait cycles to fill a truck tire.

This is where (some of) the VIAir compressors can get the job done, even though they are relatively small and operate on 12V . . . because they have a 100% duty cycle.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I got this one from HF: https://www.harborfreight.com/12volt...sor-69285.html

Runs off of 12v. I use it only for topping off truck/RV tires and bikes. Sometimes for inflatable toys. Compact, light - easy to stow in an RV. It could fully inflate a vehicle tire, but probably take a long time - but on the road, when will I ever have to inflate from fully empty? Useless for higher volume things like blowing out lines. For that, or all my construction projects, I fire up the big one that is rated for all my air tools, that stays in the garage. I'm sure other brands are better, but this has seen occasional use for about 5 years now, and still works perfectly for what it is.
    I have the same one and have been using it for close to 5 years now and still going strong. It works fine on our 16" G rated tires up to 110#'s. It isn't the fastest but it gets the job done.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cheap 6 gallon from menards. Caught it on sale for like $80 about 5 years ago. It gets the job done, and has a big enough tank that I can top off a couple small tires at the storage lot.

I've been thinking about tossing this guy in the passthrough. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P731/203060297 For emergency use on the road, and airing up pool toys for the kids. I already have several of the batteries as my camper set is ryobi, and I know the inverter on my truck can charge them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m sold on the viair 450, easy to attach to trailer battery or tv battery, plenty of flow to tackle 110 pressure in trailer tires
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the pancake model pictured on the left, and yes, I bought it at Harbor Freight. Just yesterday, I used it for the first time. I aired up trailer and truck tires from about 72 odd to 80 lbs. I was very impressed. It aired up each tire very quickly, almost as fast as the large compressor at home.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the one on the right (the stand up model) and it is sooo sssslllooowww at filling tires, I do not recommend it. It took ten minutes to increase the tire pressure from 65 to 75 psi, almost as bad as this 12 volt one. It works for bike tires, and atv tires.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Dewalt 20vmax portable compressor . I have a dewalt Impact tool with a 5Amp battery and use the same battery for the compressor. It fills tires from 70 to 80 psi quicker than my pancake compressor and can be used to also fill air mattresses, toys and my truck air bags. It is small and easy to store.

Link https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCC020.../dp/B07H39S9JQ
    Ron & Dianne

2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2012 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel, SWR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The California air tools ultra quiets are truly ultra quiet. I have a small one in my trailer, aluminum tanks, very light and very quiet. I have two at my office for laser cutters and prototyping equipment. One in a cabinet. It has lights so you don't forget to turn it off because it is so quiet. They are very well made but not cheap. A big three phase high volume low speed scroll compressor will be relatively quiet compared to a standard shop compressor but still not as quiet. The compressors are not high volume so the bigger tanks are a must for constant use/recovery. Save your hearing.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    I have a cheap 6 gallon from menards. Caught it on sale for like $80 about 5 years ago. It gets the job done, and has a big enough tank that I can top off a couple small tires at the storage lot.

I've been thinking about tossing this guy in the passthrough. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18...P731/203060297 For emergency use on the road, and airing up pool toys for the kids. I already have several of the batteries as my camper set is ryobi, and I know the inverter on my truck can charge them.
    I acquired one those inflators a while back. I like it. Says it will go to 120 PSI, but have only tested it to 80 for my trailer tires. The built in gauge is pretty close to my other gauges. Plus is use +one batteries in my drill for raising/lowering the stabilizers, a nice hand vacuum and a light that has a usb connector to power my trailer levelling indicator .
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry...not to be cynical or offensive...but when I read where someone is looking to purchase a cheap tool, I always scoff a little. Here you have (taking some liberties) a person pulling a $40K camper with a $50K truck and they're wondering if it's OK to buy a cheap tool to save $50.

Sure, those compressors will work fine.
    But I rarely buy any tool that I ONLY use for the RV.

Meanwhile, I'm a contractor and we frequently buy hand tools from HF. Our tools get abused so much in the field that I'd rather see a HF wrench laying in the dirt than a Snap-On version.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2017 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
    B & W Companion (T/O Ball Mount)
    SBGTF

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast