User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WTP-GC View Post
    Sorry...not to be cynical or offensive...but when I read where someone is looking to purchase a cheap tool, I always scoff a little. Here you have (taking some liberties) a person pulling a $40K camper with a $50K truck and they're wondering if it's OK to buy a cheap tool to save $50.

Sure, those compressors will work fine.
    But I rarely buy any tool that I ONLY use for the RV.

Meanwhile, I'm a contractor and we frequently buy hand tools from HF. Our tools get abused so much in the field that I'd rather see a HF wrench laying in the dirt than a Snap-On version.
    Yes, I understand where you are coming from.
    Perhaps if my truck was only $50k I wouldn’t be looking as much for avenues to cut costs in this process. [emoji1] But as a rookie Superduty owner ( and hopefully future fifth wheel owner) I’m looking for input on just about everything. This forum has really been extremely helpful and I still have a lot to learn. But based on posts here I will probably shy away from HF for air products— probably leaning to Viaair, so I guess I’ll try to cut corners elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    I acquired one those inflators a while back. I like it. Says it will go to 120 PSI, but have only tested it to 80 for my trailer tires. The built in gauge is pretty close to my other gauges. Plus is use +one batteries in my drill for raising/lowering the stabilizers, a nice hand vacuum and a light that has a usb connector to power my trailer levelling indicator .
    Bought one, and used it. Worked well. A little slow, but no big deal. My wife worked on adding about 10 pounds to each tire on our travel trailer to bring them up to 65psi while I hitched up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Craftsman Evolve pancake air compressor that I hauled around for a long time. It's basically a harbor freight quality rebranded as Craftsman. I fix broken campers and took it with me to North Carolina to pick up a flip. I must have worked on filling the low tires for an hour easily. It just couldn't keep up. I have since switched to a harbor freight Viair style compressor that works very well and takes up virtually no space.
    I will say this, Harbor Freight is the closest store to where I live, maybe a mile and a half, so I'm not afraid to buy and return if the quality isn't what I expected (but really when is it!)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agpopp View Post
    I have a Craftsman Evolve pancake air compressor that I hauled around for a long time. It's basically a harbor freight quality rebranded as Craftsman. I fix broken campers and took it with me to North Carolina to pick up a flip. I must have worked on filling the low tires for an hour easily. It just couldn't keep up. I have since switched to a harbor freight Viair style compressor that works very well and takes up virtually no space.
    I will say this, Harbor Freight is the closest store to where I live, maybe a mile and a half, so I'm not afraid to buy and return if the quality isn't what I expected (but really when is it!)

What model at Harbor Freight is a Viair style compressor?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    What model at Harbor Freight is a Viair style compressor?

I got this one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-10...sor-69284.html

Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Viair compressors are OK up to about 65#. I don't like the twist on chuck as it is a true pain to use. They are reasonably durable but keep an allen key around to tighten any allen screw that may try to back out.

If you are trying to air up 85# tires on the TV it becomes a little slow but better than most 12 volt compressors. The other problem is that if you airing up 4 on you trailer and 2 on the TV the compressor is probably about to exceed its limit without cooling off for awhile. It will be quite warm.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTom52 View Post
    It didn’t take long for me to realize the Harbor Freight quality is not what you need in an emergency. Thank you. But I failed to ask this. Battery powered or electric? And when I am on the road, will the current from my F350 be enough to run a good quality compressor?

Direct from the battery maybe so. However, the cigarette lighter, alias Power Port, is current limited. I haven't seen a 12 volt system yet that has the horsepower to fill tires beyond 60# using the TV's cab power connections.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaAnon View Post
    Direct from the battery maybe so. However, the cigarette lighter, alias Power Port, is current limited. I haven't seen a 12 volt system yet that has the horsepower to fill tires beyond 60# using the TV's cab power connections.
    I'm not sure I understand. Can these compressors provide pressure up to 110# when connected directly to the battery?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Can these compressors provide pressure up to 110# when connected directly to the battery?
    Yes they can, I have a Pittsburgh brand from harbor freight that I have been using for 5 years now that still works fine. It will fill our trailer tires to 110, the compressor has alligator hooks that hook onto the battery cables.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaAnon View Post
    The Viair compressors are OK up to about 65#. I don't like the twist on chuck as it is a true pain to use. They are reasonably durable but keep an allen key around to tighten any allen screw that may try to back out.

If you are trying to air up 85# tires on the TV it becomes a little slow but better than most 12 volt compressors. The other problem is that if you airing up 4 on you trailer and 2 on the TV the compressor is probably about to exceed its limit without cooling off for awhile. It will be quite warm.
    That all depends on which Viair unit you are referring to. I got the constant duty with an on board tank, https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-Constan.../dp/B000YC42RG 80# tires no problem truck and trailer tires no problem. I air down on the beach and it is not uncommon for my Viair to air my 4, boat trailer 2 and 1 or 2 buddies trucks all at the same time. Runs an impact great too. It was spendy but worth it to me. Someday I'll get the train horns.
    Last edited by bigb56; 03-31-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast