User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you keep mosquitoes out of the camper?

After running away from a snow storm in Arizona near the end of February, we ran into mosquitoes along the Gulf near the Texas/Louisiana border. We have never had so many mosquitoes get into a camper. I suspect they got in through the slide seals. There are small openings at the corners and around the schwintek tracks.

In an attempt to keep them out, I sprayed an insect fogger under the slideouts, we didn’t turn on any lights above the slideouts, and we turned the A/C fan on high. These efforts seemed to help, but certainly didn’t eliminate the problem. One night it was raining very hard when we went to bed – no mosquitoes then, and I didn’t think to turn on the fan. It stopped raining during the night. Then it started – I woke up to the dreaded buzz of a mosquito around my head in the dark. When I got up, we had scores of mosquitoes in our camper.

Are there other access points for them? Has anyone else experienced this? What can be done to keep them out?

I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this will help, but after being gone from the trailer for a couple weeks, we returned to our seasonal spot last summer to find hundreds of gnats inside. Didn’t realize it until we had the inside lights on for a short time. It seemed like that woke them up. I grabbed our battery vacuum and began sucking. It took a while, but as they were drawn to the ceiling lights I eventually got them all. I’ve had issues also when having the outside LED strip on and forgetting to close the
    front door when exiting.

Hope you got control of them!
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they're coming in through your slide seals then your slide seals are bad. When your slides are out the seals on the inside should be tight. There may be gaps under the floor seal near the edge of the frame where they could enter.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a bug zapper as a night light.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    We use a bug zapper as a night light.
    Do you need to wear earplugs to sleep?

We camped at Lake Wenatchee during mosquito high time. We were ignorant. The major intrusion into the trailer was entering because as soon as you went outside you would have a cloud of them as well as covering your clothing. I would stand at the entry door with a box fan on high and then open the door, blasting the little buggers off the entrant and back outside. It was mildly effective but fun!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Do you need to wear earplugs to sleep?
    No, it's in the kitchen. But we have to clean up the little pile of crispy bugs each morning.
    Dallas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's in the kitchen. But we have to clean up the little pile of crispy bugs each morning.
    Wow, you definitely have a gap somewhere if you have that many skeeters each day. You sure they're not sneaking in when you open a door or hitching a ride on your clothing?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have fan versions of the bug lights. Light attracts and the fan sucks them in and they die in there from being dried out. Works well.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Wow, you definitely have a gap somewhere if you have that many skeeters each day. You sure they're not sneaking in when you open a door or hitching a ride on your clothing?
    I don't believe we have slide gaps, we definitely get bugs when we go in/out the door. Flies are worse, they fly faster than skeeters.
    Dallas

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was kind of kidding but the bug light is a great idea. No matter how hard we try, there's always 1 or 2 skeeters we didn't get when we turn in. This would be much nicer than chasing one down in the middle of the night!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast