User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is from the PA Turnpike version of the EZPass manual. Applicability to other states is unknown.

If you have an RV, with a gross vehicle weight over 15,000 pounds, you will need to open a commercial account.
    This seems to be at odds with what @dually mike was told. If I were you Mike, I’d look further. Nothing to lose.

Earlier in the document it says:

I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my transponder?
    Yes. On the Pennsylvania Turnpike, if the weight of the camper or trailer pushes you into a higher class of vehicle, the higher toll will be charged to your account. If you are traveling on other E-ZPass agency toll roads or bridges, please contact the appropriate agency for further information.
    I think I’ll choose to read that as weight of my 5th wheel, since my truck is not an RV, nor is it part of my RV. I’m not certain that is the intent of the requirement.

It seems workable that different states would charge different tolls for different axle counts, but I’m not sure it would be reasonable for different states to have different requirements based on weight.
    Last edited by jkwilson; 03-30-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went we went from Montana, to New York we stayed off all the toll roads because we 5 axles and 26,000lb it was going to be expensive.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several states participate in the EZPass program and I believe all will let you register and out of state account. I’d look to see which state is the most RV friendly and go with them. We’ve had the PA account since we lived there but have since lived in two other states and used it on many different roads with and without the RV with no issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jkwilson;225121]This is from the PA Turnpike version of the EZPass manual. Applicability to other states is unknown.

This seems to be at odds with what @dually mike was told. If I were you Mike, I’d look further. Nothing to lose.

So that's where they got me. It's on the gross vehicle weight. My old trailers had GVW of 18,000 lbs. which still would have put me over, but they never questioned it before. As far as not registering a trailer as Country Camper said, I was always told you had to register each license plate. I used to tow an Rv and an enclosed car hauler at different times and had each plate registered. Never had separate transponder. Just called them and was told in PA they use the weight, other states count axles. I'm going to look at what difference the rates are, although it really won't matter. I'm down to using the turnpike for only 1 trip per year- lol.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just go with the NY ezpass as it’ll be cheaper as you’ll not have to get a commerical account. You can live in any state and get the NY EZpass even if your home state has its version of EZPass
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    Just go with the NY ezpass as it’ll be cheaper as you’ll not have to get a commerical account. You can live in any state and get the NY EZpass even if your home state has its version of EZPass
    ...and THAT has to be the one and only example of cheaper in NYS ever found! Shhhh, and bless ya, Minnow!
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked a toll collector at a toll booth in NY how they handle the fact that I was towing a 5th wheel but my truck is set up as a two axle pickup truck on my EZ Pass account. He said it was easy, they see how you’re classified on a screen as you approach the toll plaza and he said they reclassify you to the correct number of axles as you go through.
    Tim & Lynn
    Western NY
    2017 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6L Turbo Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got our E Pass xtra today from Florida, excited to see we only need one pass for our upcoming East coast trip. States that it will work on all Sun pass roads now also! Here is a link https://www.cfxway.com/faqs/ to the FAQ page for the Central Florida Expressway system. One day hopefully the nation will end up on one system.
    Former 2022 Solitude 310GKR w/8K axles & disc brakes, factory solar
    Formerly 2019 Reflection 230RL, 2019 Reflection 320MKS, and 2015 Outback Terrain 230TRS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the E-Z Pass (NY) on the truck and have not bought one that would include the trailer, so I use the staffed lanes. The person in the booth sees I am pulling a double axle TT and motions me through. If they can "sense" the number of axles, could I just as easily use the "express" (i.e., no toll booth) E-Z Pass lane? I was under the impression that I had to have the different E-Z Pass transponder in place when towing if I want to use the express toll lanes. If they are "machine counting" axles, is the special pass necessary, or is that what tells the system to count my axles. There seems to be a lot of incorrect information about this (i.e., fifth wheels being charged as much as semi rigs, etc.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From NYS EZ-Pass..... https://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/discount.html

"Thruway Special Discount Towing Plan: Pickup truck towing a “5th Wheel” or “Gooseneck” trailer will receive a discounted rate. Tag specific plan for towing vehicle combination only. If you are towing a car, trailer, camper or boat and want to use a dedicated E-ZPass lane to reduce your travel time you can get a special tag. The tag is programmed for the tow vehicle and trailer combination. The tag must only be used with the vehicle towing combination. You must first have established an E-ZPass account with the New York E-ZPass Customer Service Center. Complete the form below to request your special tag."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast