User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explosive Proof Box for Batteries?

Did you consider using or making an explosion and fire resistant enclosure for the batteries? Just thinking of the Boeing dreamliner fiasco..
    I know they make bags for this when using small batteries.

EDIT: To keep my Electrical Mod post from going OT I've created a thread for this sub-topic. -Moderator Howard
    Last edited by howson; 04-14-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    Did you consider using or making an explosion and fire resistant enclosure for the batteries? Just thinking of the Boeing dreamliner fiasco..
    While not specifically due to those reasons, I went with Battle Born (BB) due to the number of forum participants that have had outstanding service from their BB batteries.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    Here’s a few reasons as to why that’s a bogus comparison.

(which is not your fault as most people don’t know one lithium from another)

That was 6 years ago and technology has dramatically improved in this area.

Those batteries were a completely different chemical makeup, they were not LiFeP04.

The #1 reason the batteries in the Dreamliner failed was because they had defective cells from the factory.

Knowing the airline industry, they sourced the cheapest batteries they could find from a company in Japan with poor build quality and a lack of quality control.

Basically the exact opposite of what you get with Battle Born lithiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-14-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have not been able to find a single reported case involving thermal runaway with any Battle Born LiFeP04 lithium, installed in an RV.

: )

Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 04-14-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Here’s a few reasons as to why that’s a bogus comparison.

(which is not your fault as most people don’t know one lithium from another)

That was 6 years ago and technology has dramatically improved in this area.

Those batteries were a completely different chemical makeup, they were not LiFeP04.

The #1 reason the batteries in the Dreamliner failed was because they had defective cells from the factory.

Knowing the airline industry, they sourced the cheapest batteries they could find from a company in Japan with poor build quality and a lack of quality control.

Basically the exact opposite of what you get with Battle Born lithiums.

Never heard of this company but the highest quality cells come from Japan and Korea from Samsung, LG Chem and Panasonic. This does not imply the Chinese cells are bad but high end automotive grade cells would most likely double the price on a 100 ah battery. I've also not heard of a thermal runaway on an RV since the BMS will open the circuit if conditions fall outside of safety limits.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 04-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When the Battle Born CEO Dr. Denis Phares made his presentation at the Las Vegas GDRV rally, he stated that "There have been no fires or explosions reported on Battle Born batteries". He went on to state that "the unique structure of LiFePo4 battery cells are much safer compared to other types of lithium batteries".

Jim

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuasa has been around for probably more years than most of the folks on this forum....maybe even me. They are the battery of choice in the motorcycle industry and have been for as long as I have been riding.....1971. I'm not sure where they are at on the LiFEpo4 market, but as far as FLA batteries, they are among the best.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Yuasa has been around for probably more years than most of the folks on this forum....maybe even me. They are the battery of choice in the motorcycle industry and have been for as long as I have been riding.....1971. I'm not sure where they are at on the LiFEpo4 market, but as far as FLA batteries, they are among the best.
    I used Yuasa batts in my Honda generator, and they lasted longer than any other type.

Jim

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    xrated,
    You just jogged my memory. I did have a lead acid battery from this maker in a Honda 350 scrambler I owned around 40 years ago. I read that the cells in the Boeing battery were packed too tight which caused the thermal runaway but obviously several things were overlooked in that case. I really would like it if Tesla would make a drop in battery since there use of high end Panasonic 18650 cells inner connected with a fusible link is very clever. If there is a bad cell, the precisely sized wire burns up and the battery continues to operate.

Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with any modification you make, do your research (which I am sure those that have already completed projects have done) to make sure you are not causing a safety hazard.
    Just a quick search on lithium batteries revealed:
    Lithium Battery Warning
    SAFETY HAZARD WARNINGS FOR LITHIUM ION BATTERIES
    Rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries are potentially hazardous and can present a serious FIRE HAZARD if damaged, defective or improperly used. Larger Lithium batteries and those used for industrial use involving high discharge current and frequent full discharge cycles require special precautions.

A FIRE IS MOST LIKELY TO OCCUR DURING THE CHARGING PROCESS UNDER THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES:

THE BATTERY HAS BEEN FULLY DISCHARGED AND IS NOT RECHARGED SHORTLY AFTERWARD. This potential is aggravated if batteries are damaged, contain an undetected factory defect, are used or stored at temperature extremes, or are approaching the end of their useful life. (See useful life) Ideally, batteries should be recharged within 24 hours of a full discharge.

CHARGING IS ATTEMPTED AT TEMPERATURES BELOW 40°F (4°C). Charging below 40°F (4°C), causes a chemical reaction in the battery cells that can cause permanent damage and the possibility of fire or explosion during charging.

THE BATTERY HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO LIQUIDS, ESPECIALLY SALTWATER. Exposure to liquids can cause internal corrosion or damage to the cells or to the Battery Management System (BMS). The BMS protects the battery from overcharging, high self- discharge or imbalanced charging of the cells, any of which can present the possibility of fire during recharging.

OPERATING OR CHARGING A BATTERY THAT HAS BEEN DAMAGED FROM DROPPING OR FROM SHIPPING DAMAGE.

USING A CHARGER OTHER THAN SPECIFICALLY DESIGNATED FOR THE PARTICULAR BATTERY. Lithium Ion battery chargers provide a specific charging voltage and microprocessor current and voltage control. They are fundamentally different than chargers for SLA, NiCd, NiMH, or other rechargeable batteries. Chargers for LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC) batteries (VML) and LiFePO4 batteries (VLX) are not interchangeable, and require different charging voltages.

That is from:https://www.paulcbuff.com/lithium-battery-warning.html and is talking mainly about smaller batteries, which may or may not be applicable.
    As far as fire suppression- the fire may be put out, but you may have been overcome by the fumes in the process. Please be careful. Know the limitations.
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast