User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post

A FIRE IS MOST LIKELY TO OCCUR DURING THE CHARGING PROCESS UNDER THE FOLLOWING CIRCUMSTANCES:

THE BATTERY HAS BEEN FULLY DISCHARGED AND IS NOT RECHARGED SHORTLY AFTERWARD. This potential is aggravated if batteries are damaged, contain an undetected factory defect, are used or stored at temperature extremes, or are approaching the end of their useful life. (See useful life) Ideally, batteries should be recharged within 24 hours of a full discharge.

CHARGING IS ATTEMPTED AT TEMPERATURES BELOW 40°F (4°C). Charging below 40°F (4°C), causes a chemical reaction in the battery cells that can cause permanent damage and the possibility of fire or explosion during charging.

THE BATTERY HAS BEEN EXPOSED TO LIQUIDS, ESPECIALLY SALTWATER. Exposure to liquids can cause internal corrosion or damage to the cells or to the Battery Management System (BMS). The BMS protects the battery from overcharging, high self- discharge or imbalanced charging of the cells, any of which can present the possibility of fire during recharging.

OPERATING OR CHARGING A BATTERY THAT HAS BEEN DAMAGED FROM DROPPING OR FROM SHIPPING DAMAGE.

USING A CHARGER OTHER THAN SPECIFICALLY DESIGNATED FOR THE PARTICULAR BATTERY. Lithium Ion battery chargers provide a specific charging voltage and microprocessor current and voltage control. They are fundamentally different than chargers for SLA, NiCd, NiMH, or other rechargeable batteries. Chargers for LiNiMnCoO2 (NMC) batteries (VML) and LiFePO4 batteries (VLX) are not interchangeable, and require different charging voltages.

That is from:https://www.paulcbuff.com/lithium-battery-warning.html and is talking mainly about smaller batteries, which may or may not be applicable.
    As far as fire suppression- the fire may be put out, but you may have been overcome by the fumes in the process. Please be careful. Know the limitations.
    My understanding is none of these issues can happen with the built in BMS on each of my Battle Born lithiums. Which is one reason I don’t mind paying top dollar for a safe product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    As with any modification you make, do your research (which I am sure those that have already completed projects have done) to make sure you are not causing a safety hazard.
    Dean,
    I'm convinced the Battle Born batteries are safe to use in my RV. They are used by probably hundreds, if not thousands, of users. If there was a problem there would be plenty of documentation. Also, if I thought I needed a fire suppression system due to some inherent danger posed by Battle Born (LifePo4) batteries I wouldn't use them at all.

The gas systems on the RV, the refrigerator, and the electric fireplace are of far greater concern as a source of a fire than the batteries. Heck, towing the 315RLTS on today's roads with their distracted drivers is probably far and away a greater hazard than the batteries.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Dean,
    I'm convinced the Battle Born batteries are safe to use in my RV. They are used by probably hundreds, if not thousands, of users. If there was a problem there would be plenty of documentation. Also, if I thought I needed a fire suppression system due to some inherent danger posed by Battle Born (LifePo4) batteries I wouldn't use them at all.

The gas systems on the RV, the refrigerator, and the electric fireplace are of far greater concern as a source of a fire than the batteries. Heck, towing the 315RLTS on today's roads with their distracted drivers is probably far and away a greater hazard than the batteries.

-Howard
    Agreed!

Out of all the systems in our trailer, our lithium batteries are the least likely to ever have an issue.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing this thread made me think about the Rollin' On TV episode I saw this weekend. They featured a carbon fiber exterior "off road "KZ prototype with solar/lithium batteries/etc. set up. Here is the link with some pictures of the 9 batteries and clear case: https://rollinontv.com/current-show/

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Explosive Proof Box for Batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Seeing this thread made me think about the Rollin' On TV episode I saw this weekend. They featured a carbon fiber exterior "off road "KZ prototype with solar/lithium batteries/etc. set up. Here is the link with some pictures of the 9 batteries and clear case: https://rollinontv.com/current-show/

Dan
    Too bad it’s made by KZ though.

All the trailers we walked through by KZ felt super light and cheap. Just glanced at one of their large travel trailers that is 41 feet long but weighs only 490 lbs more than my 26 foot Reflection.
    Plus they’re using flexible panels which is not what you want on a “durable off-road” camper. I couldn’t find any info on the batteries capacity but if that is 900ah total, they don’t have enough solar. Most people recommend at least a 2 to 1 ratio of solar watts to ah. It’s weird that they don’t brag about the solar setup either, and don’t mention the types of charge controllers or size of the inverter.
    Makes me think it’s all budget gear, otherwise they’d be name-dropping Victron, Battle Born, etc.
    This would be an easy way to stir up interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12