User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coolant overflow tank

2019 3500 Duramax. Coolant overflow tank is filled to the brim. Is this normal, or did dealer put to much coolant in tank?
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be a line on the side of the reservoir for max fill when the engine is cold. If you observed the reservoir while the engine was hot this could be a factor.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    Should be a line on the side of the reservoir for max fill when the engine is cold. If you observed the reservoir while the engine was hot this could be a factor.
    I have not observed it while the engine is hot. I will do that and see where the level goes. Thanks
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2016 Silverado 2500 4x4 Gasser

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
    2019 3500 Duramax. Coolant overflow tank is filled to the brim. Is this normal, or did dealer put to much coolant in tank?
    Nick,
    I got a "coolant low" message when it looked OK to me. I added about an inch more to bring it up to the arrows, and it is still a bit below the arrows. These new tanks are under pressure, so I did it when cold. That very small diameter hose right at the cap vents to the outside. I'm assuming it somehow will vent overboard if needed, even though the tank itself is under pressure.
    Rob M
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190416_103648.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	19352
    Last edited by RobM; 04-16-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Seasoned Camper keywestparrothead's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For us Ford guys, I had a check engine light come on a few weeks back so I break out the code reader and nothing... nothing stored, nothing current, nada. Start checking the obvious stuff and see that my overflow tank is a little low, add some coolant and light goes out! You would think, with all the modern electronics these new trucks have, a simple fluid level monitoring would give you more than a "check engine" light (rant over). All that to say there is some importance to the levels in the overflows :-)
    2016 Momentum 376TH "The Beauty"
    2015 Ford F450 King Ranch Crew Cab "The Beast"
    2016 Indian Roadmaster "Our Toy"
    2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure "My Toy"
    ------------------------
    Previous addictions...
    2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
    2010 Montana 3750FL
    2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
    2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Nick,
    I got a "coolant low" message when it looked OK to me. I added about an inch more to bring it up to the arrows, and it is still a bit below the arrows. These new tanks are under pressure, so I did it when cold. That very small diameter hose right at the cap vents to the outside. I'm assuming it somehow will vent overboard if needed, even though the tank itself is under pressure.
    Rob M
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190416_103648.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	19352
    You have an expansion or surge tank , not overflow. And yes , it will push excess coolant by the cap once system pressure reaches the cap limit. I believe you have a 20psi cap. When hot the air space in the top of the tank will be compressed , making the coolant level higher. Fill to the line cold only.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coolant overflow tank

Quote Originally Posted by keywestparrothead View Post
    For us Ford guys, I had a check engine light come on a few weeks back so I break out the code reader and nothing... nothing stored, nothing current, nada. Start checking the obvious stuff and see that my overflow tank is a little low, add some coolant and light goes out! You would think, with all the modern electronics these new trucks have, a simple fluid level monitoring would give you more than a "check engine" light (rant over). All that to say there is some importance to the levels in the overflows :-)
    When I bought my “new to me” 2012 Ford F450 in 2014, I had the “low coolant” code trip. Tank looked full as per the line/mark. Took it to the dealer - they couldn’t figure it out but cleared the code. It came back on a day or two later. So I consulted with a friend of mine who teaches diesel mechanics at the local tech school. He said that sometimes, the system will develop an air bubble/air lock in the line that will keep enough coolant from being in the system. He checked my truck, tapped and shook a bunch of lines and added about a bottle of coolant to the tank. Never had a problem since. Weird. Too much technology for me - and I’m an engineer![emoji1787][emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Holger & Corinne
    Granite Bay, CA

2019 Solitude 310gk w/goosebox conversion
    towed by 2012 Ford F450 Lariat crew cab 4x4
    Bilstein shocks, Air-ride air bags
    2 independent on-board Viair compressors w/2.5 gal. air tank
    Boston Whaler 21' Outrage when not towing 5'er

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13 Duramax, full to the brim. After having the cooling system flushed I got a check engine light, coolant low. Put more in, good to go. Tank full is good, if you stop when it's hot and you see coolant (not A/c drip) on the ground, bad. Otherwise the ECM will report abnormalities with a check engine light.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750