User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    If you're just staying at dry spots and driving all day then I would and haven't worried about draining the batteries on a daily trip basis. If you're staying several days while dry camping the yeah the batteries will drain down some depending on what you use in the trailer.
    Using two 6V GC batteries will slow the drain. Adding a solar panel will definitely help for longer dry camping days. I would use two batteries at a minimum 6V or 12V.
    We've done exactly what your going to do. Mixing dry with elec/water camping. Never had any issues with battery drain. But we always had at least two batteries.
    Two batteries will help you stayed longer until you can get to an elec site where you can recharge fully for the next dry trip.
    Yes, we travel with two batteries and swap them out when needed. I traveled this way last year, but didn’t dry camp quite as much as I plan to this time. We’re not going to be the sightseers we were last year.

Thanks again for the input.
    Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Reflection 337RLS Fifth Wheel
    2016 Ford F-250 Diesel King Ranch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a on board gen. so i don't have to worry. But my battery seem would drop to 11.7 or so over night ( i do have a C PAP mach. that runs off the battery) so I would have to run the gen. in the morning. A couple of times I had to jump the gen to get it started, even when I had two 12 volt batteries, thats why I went to six 12 volt batteries. Now to solar.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want the battery to be as close to tow vehicle (TV) as possible. I had TrailManor 3326 that had the battery near the rear bumper of the the trailer. 12 volts through those long wires made recharging the battery problematic.

I think on the Grand Design though that would not be a problem.

I agree with other posters though I would be reluctant to run the slideouts in or out exclusively on battery power. Also realize as the battery is consumed, it means operating the slideout under less than optimal conditions.
    Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
    Nathan & Susan Gifford
    Belle, & Danke
    53 days camping 8000 miles 2017
    2017 Imagine 2800BH
    '07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax LBZ 4WD

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was curious, so I just ran an experiment using my fancy Victron 712 meter. I shut off all current draws and measured the current needed to operate my slides along with how many amp hours of battery power were consumed.

Slide 1 (Kitchen slide)
    Type Lippert through frame slide
    Starting current draw - 17 amps.
    Running Current draw - 13 amps.

Slide 2 (Dinette Slide)
    Type - Lippert through frame slide
    Starting Current - 14 amps
    Running Current draw - 11 amps

Amp Hours Used
    Due to the short cycle time required, the Victron meter registered 0aH used to fully cycle both slides in and out one time.
    It took three full cycles of both slides for the meter to register -1aH.

Jim

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    I was curious, so I just ran an experiment using my fancy Victron 712 meter. I shut off all current draws and measured the current needed to operate my slides along with how many amp hours of battery power were consumed.

Slide 1 (Kitchen slide)

Slide 2 (Dinette Slide)

Amp Hours Used
    Due to the short cycle time required, the Victron meter registered 0aH used to fully cycle both slides in and out one time.

Jim
    that makes sense Jim, the Kitchen slide is the longer and heavier in our rig so it would take more juice to move it. But seems it didn't really draw that much from the battery or Batteries, not sure what kind of battery set up you have. So dry camping over night, slides out and in, plus whatever power was used over night, wouldn't pull that much out of the battery. So a good couple hours towing would have them charged up, given how much an individuals truck charging system puts out. My Ram has the 180 amp alt. Good to know a bench mark, I will keep it in mind.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

Slide 1 (Kitchen slide)

Slide 2 (Dinette Slide)

Amp Hours Used

Jim
    So if my math is right... I could cycle my one slide 2,400 times before running completely out of power. I would also have to start and finish at night before the solar started replenishing the batteries.

; )

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    that makes sense Jim, the Kitchen slide is the longer and heavier in our rig so it would take more juice to move it. But seems it didn't really draw that much from the battery or Batteries, not sure what kind of battery set up you have. So dry camping over night, slides out and in, plus whatever power was used over night, wouldn't pull that much out of the battery. So a good couple hours towing would have them charged up, given how much an individuals truck charging system puts out. My Ram has the 180 amp alt. Good to know a bench mark, I will keep it in mind.
    It would be interesting to see how much power was consumed with a Schwintek slide and a hydraulic slide.

Jim

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    So if my math is right... I could cycle my one slide 2,400 times before running completely out of power. I would also have to start and finish at night before the solar started replenishing the batteries.

; )

If your slide switch didn't fail or your slide motors over-heat!

Jim

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL you guys have too much free time...retired people...sheesh! I kid I kid
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12