User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc Brake Question

I just installed a titan disc unit on my Momentum 351. Pump comes on instantly but seems close to 3 second delay before sound changes on pump and pressure comes up full, seems likeit should be quicker. Is this normal? Controller is Brakerite.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    I just installed a titan disc unit on my Momentum 351. Pump comes on instantly but seems close to 3 second delay before sound changes on pump and pressure comes up full, seems likeit should be quicker. Is this normal? Controller is Brakerite.
    There definitely is a time delay between pedal apply and electric actuator reaching brake apply pressure. The trailer brakes are up to full pressure considerably before the sound change in the actuator, but 3 seconds sounds like too long to get to full apply pressure. I would suggest bleeding the hydraulic system again. I had to do this several times until all the air bubbles were purged out and this shortened the apply time because the actuator did not have to move enough fluid to compress the air bubbles in the lines.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 05-03-2019 at 06:13 AM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    There definitely is a time delay between pedal apply and electric actuator reaching brake apply pressure. The trailer brakes are up to full pressure considerably before the sound change in the actuator, but 3 seconds sounds like too long to get to full apply pressure. I would suggest bleeding the hydraulic system again. I had to so this several times until all the air bubbles were purged out and this shortened the apply time because the actuator did not have to move enough fluid to compress the air bubbles in the lines.

Rob
    My delay is closer to 1 second or less. I did see a post somewhere where the poster had a longer delay and consulted with the supplier resulting in the conclusion of a defective actuator which was replaced. I like Rob’s suggestion to bleed the lines.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    I had a similar issue with my Titan system and the technician from Performance Trailer Brakes (highly recommended) instructed to make sure you bleed closest to the reservoir first, moving back from there. Also you may be surprised just how long you have to activate the actuator in order to get a decent flow out of the bleeder valve.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will try closest to reservoir. How much fluid did you have to bleed trough? I already used a gallon and still got a little air from the furthest points. I have no leaks.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markb777 View Post
    I had a similar issue with my Titan system and the technician from Performance Trailer Brakes (highly recommended) instructed to make sure you bleed closest to the reservoir first, moving back from there. Also you may be surprised just how long you have to activate the actuator in order to get a decent flow out of the bleeder valve.

This would be the reverse of the usual hydraulic bleeding process and the reverse of what is specified in the Titan installation instructions. Brake bleeding should always start with the caliper farthest from the actuator.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    This would be the reverse of the usual hydraulic bleeding process and the reverse of what is specified in the Titan installation instructions. Brake bleeding should always start with the caliper farthest from the actuator.

Rob
    I would have thought the same thing but not how he performed the bleed operation in my driveway. There were 2 technicians so possibly they were doing something simultaneously, not sure.
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R
    Titan Disk Brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000 with X Factor Crossmember
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW 6’ box
    Factory 5th/Gooseneck Prep with 20K Reese Goosebox

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size brake line did you use? How many feet of hose? I think if you use a lot of hose and large brake lines (like 1/4") then maybe it takes a shade longer to get full pressure. That's just my guess tho.

I used 3/16" hard brake line everywhere except the drops to the calipers which is different than the kit I got intended for me to do; they had at least one 60" or 72" hose (can't remember exactly). So far the brakes are working great.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bleeding the Brake Hydraulic System

From the BrakeRite Installation Instructions . . . (See the complete section 5.4.2.1 in the attached)

5.4.2.1 Bleeding the brakes:
    . . . Starting with the brake furthest from the actuator open the ‘bleeder screw’
    . . . Close the bleeder screw and move to the next brake and so on until all brakes have been bled.

If your brakes were bled in the reverse order, this could be why there is still some air in the system.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brake-rite-manual.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't had a chance to rebleed brakes yet. But I used the existing wires in the pin box and the blue wire I used to Brake rite is a #10 is it ok to be heavier than a #12 ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast