Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Source? 1/4in plastic rod re awning rail

Hello everyone

The factory slid the awning a little bit to far toward the rear of the rv (5er Reflection 29RS). Actually, the tarp material is located sort of ok, but the white plastic bead, or rod, that keeps the tarp inside the circular track in the rail is pulled excessively to the left. This leaves about 4in of the tarp at the nose of the rig flapping in the wind when the awning is extended. There's too much tension to slide the bead back where it should be. But it looks like I could slide in a 1ft section from the front into the first 4in of the tarp, then trim off the excess.

I've measured the bead, it's .221 diameter.
    Ideally I would like the right material, but I can't find it and I'm at a loss to dream up a good weather proof substitute.

Any ideas on source or substitute?

PS living and traveling full-time so dealership warranty work is out of the question.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On our first GDRV rig, the plastic bead wasn't secured with screws, so it started sliding out and went a couple of feet before I caught it. Like you, I couldn't get it to slide back. So I inserted a piece of small wood dowel into the track and secured it with a screw. Since the dowel was rigid, it was much easier to install than a piece of flexible plastic. It held fine for a couple of years until the fire consumed it.

Jim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Give GD service a call and perhaps the can send you a piece, otherwise contact the awning manufacturer.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike . What is the manufacturer of your awning? If it is a Carefree, this may help. The internal spring of the roller is probably on the right hand side as you look at.
    There should be 2 small holes on the end. You can try using a 6 to 8 inch piece of metal hanger that you can insert into one of those holes. Rotate the roller till you get some slack in the fabric, and insert the hanger so it keeps the fabric from rewinding. Then you should be able to unscrew the spline and pull it back to where you want it.
    Then reverse the process, and hopefully you should be good to go.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    Safe travels and good health.
    John Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mike,

GDRV would buy the awning fabric and drum as an assembly . . . so, likely would not have the separate piece you are looking for. I would expect this stuff to be readily available at any RV dealer repair facility. I would start there.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.camperid.com/carefree/re...75378606814099

Here is a link to Carefree , awning cord. I believe the awning is Dometic though but this might work.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    On our first GDRV rig, the plastic bead wasn't secured with screws, so it started sliding out and went a couple of feet before I caught it. Like you, I couldn't get it to slide back. So I inserted a piece of small wood dowel into the track and secured it with a screw. Since the dowel was rigid, it was much easier to install than a piece of flexible plastic. It held fine for a couple of years until the fire consumed it.

Jim
    Thanks Jim

Mine too is missing a "set screw" at both ends. I didn't notice that until I saw the condition I'm in now. I'll be sure to add a screw at both ends once I get this fixed. I wondered about using a wooden dowel but thought it might not last out in the elements. I'll keep that in mind.

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joscelyne3 View Post
    Hi Mike . What is the manufacturer of your awning? If it is a Carefree, this may help. The internal spring of the roller is probably on the right hand side as you look at.
    There should be 2 small holes on the end. You can try using a 6 to 8 inch piece of metal hanger that you can insert into one of those holes. Rotate the roller till you get some slack in the fabric, and insert the hanger so it keeps the fabric from rewinding. Then you should be able to unscrew the spline and pull it back to where you want it.
    Then reverse the process, and hopefully you should be good to go.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    Safe travels and good health.
    John Joscelyne
    That's brilliant John. I'll look for those holes. I think it is a Dometic, I'll root around through my papers the rv came with. But whether it's Carefree or dometic, there has to be a similar hole. Locking out the tension would definitely make doing the repair a lot easier, even if I can't slide the original cord back into the proper location.

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Mike,

GDRV would buy the awning fabric and drum as an assembly . . . so, likely would not have the separate piece you are looking for. I would expect this stuff to be readily available at any RV dealer repair facility. I would start there.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. Now that it's Monday I can check the local rv repair place. There's one about 10 miles from where we're camping.

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    https://www.camperid.com/carefree/re...75378606814099

Here is a link to Carefree , awning cord. I believe the awning is Dometic though but this might work.

Brian
    Thanks for the Link Brian. After I get some more coffee in me this morning I'll take a look through that.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast