Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank Drainage

Greetings to everyone!

We are currently in the midst of a long road trip. I am having an issue with the black tank drainage in my Reflection 337. The black tank appears to be either not draining properly, or the indicator inside the trailer is not indicating the correct level. Last time I drained it a few days ago it was indicating 2/3 full, which I found odd since we hadn't used the toilet inside the trailer all that much. I drained the tank, but really didn't think the amount that drained was enough to warrant a 2/3 full indication. I didn't think to check the indicator after I drained it. Since we haven't used the trailer all that much (it's been just under a year since we bought it), I thought maybe that was just the way it is.

However, after being parked at our current RV park location, and again not using the toilet that much, the tank indicator now showed full, so I drained it. The black tank capacity is 43 gallons, and the amount that drained was definitely nowhere near the amount that would warrant an indication of a full tank. This time I did check the indicator after draining and it still is indicating full. I don't know if there is a drain blockage somewhere or the level indicator is faulty.

All thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cleary View Post
    Greetings to everyone!

We are currently in the midst of a long road trip. I am having an issue with the black tank drainage in my Reflection 337. The black tank appears to be either not draining properly, or the indicator inside the trailer is not indicating the correct level. Last time I drained it a few days ago it was indicating 2/3 full, which I found odd since we hadn't used the toilet inside the trailer all that much. I drained the tank, but really didn't think the amount that drained was enough to warrant a 2/3 full indication. I didn't think to check the indicator after I drained it. Since we haven't used the trailer all that much (it's been just under a year since we bought it), I thought maybe that was just the way it is.

However, after being parked at our current RV park location, and again not using the toilet that much, the tank indicator now showed full, so I drained it. The black tank capacity is 43 gallons, and the amount that drained was definitely nowhere near the amount that would warrant an indication of a full tank. This time I did check the indicator after draining and it still is indicating full. I don't know if there is a drain blockage somewhere or the level indicator is faulty.

All thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance!
    Hi Mike,

The tank level sensors (particularly the black tank) are notorious for being incorrect. It only takes a small amount of contamination clinging to the sensor probe to close the electrical circuit. You can spend a lot of time trying to clean the sensors . . . or do as most RVers do . . . and just ignore the level gauge. I can’t even remember the last time I checked ours . . . but, I know it was wrong .

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 05-25-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I've been having the same issue. We're not moving anywhere at the time, just living in it FT for now, helping with a family member's health issues.

I empty shortly after I see it get to about 2/3, for both black or gray. I hear it stop draining, but the indicator will still show at about 1/3.

So, ignoring the light, we can do. But how do you then determine how much is in the tanks? It's only the 2 of us, I guess I just haven't yet learned how to judge. We have a washer hooked up, and with that, the light seems to work well.

It's those other 2 gray tanks, and the black tank that I'm uncertain of.

Any general guidelines?

Sent from LB's phone using Tapatalk
    Lynette & Steve
    2001 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 Turbo Diesel
    Former Owner - 2018 315RLTS Reflection TT

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We dump once a week. The tank will burp at you when it's full and past the trap and you'll get a wonderful oder. Count the days and dump one day earlier than that. The sensors have never worked on any rv we've had.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaah. Burping. [emoji37]

Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will let the greys fill until they back up the sink or shower drain ,
    You get to know by the "sound of the flush", when the black is getting close to full.

I tried to get the dealer to fix the sensors when the unit was new. That didn't work and resulted in underbelly coroplast damage.
    Then, when I rebuilt my plumbing system, I tried to fix the sensors. That didn't work.
    Things that don't work, bother me. So, I never press the tank level buttons .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound of the flush. I can imagine a different sound. But what exactly is a different sound? My hubby just said if you can hear the "splash" of the the ... excrement... hitting the water, it's full.

Lol. We'll learn.

Lynette & Steve

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL... he did use another word, and added no pun intended.

Lynette & Steve

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calgon to soften the water, help dissolve the contents and help clean the sensors.

Get the powdered stuff, mix two cups worth and pour into the tank after every dump.

(Downy works, too, but costs more in the long run.)

Odorlos holding tank treatment for stench elimination and decomposition of contents.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't believe this stuff was any more effective than anything else until someone pulled the black tank valve in a restaurant parking lot and I hooked up at night.

We had been using the black tanks for two days.

What came out was a white, powdery-looking substance that did not smell, at all.

Dried overnight and was blown away by the wind before I got up the next morning.

Weird.
    Last edited by Najataagihe; 05-26-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburgerts View Post
    Sound of the flush. I can imagine a different sound. But what exactly is a different sound? My hubby just said if you can hear the "splash" of the the ... excrement... hitting the water, it's full.

Lol. We'll learn.

Its like when you hear the gas filling up in your car. Kind of like that. There is an echo that comes up the the tube as you are flushing and it just sounds a little different. If you miss it, you won't miss the burp when that does come.

Our rear tank is a grey / black mix. My daughter is the only one to use it and she prefers our bathroom up front for whatever reason. Our laundry water also goes in that tank. Those sensors don't work either. That just shows you how quickly these sensor go. That tank gets gallons of water and detergent, every 3 days I'm doing 2 or 3 loads of wash. The sensors still don't work and constantly show 66% full or whatever it is. I don't even bother looking anymore.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast