User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer GVWR affected by Tow Vehicle (Since everyone is talking weights)

I am really enjoying all of the weight-conversations, and it’s interesting to see all the different interpretations and justifications amongst the group.....so in that spirit, I had a question from my recent trip to the CAT Scales.....

1. Does transferring your trailer weight onto the hitch....decreasing the available payload (of the TV) thereby affect the GVWR of the trailer? Follow me here with fictitious numbers for easy math:

TV = 8,000LBS uvw with 2,000LBS available payload
    Trailer = 10,000lbs GVWR (Let’s just say it’s 100% loaded)
    You put 10% onto hitch or 1,000LBS.
    Your TV just got 1,000lbs heavier (on the scale #2 for rear axle)

Does your trailer weigh 9,000LBS now? The TV is supporting that 1,000lbs of weight now. How does that affect the GVWR of the trailer? Are you still maxed? If you are still maxed, how can you count the 1,000lbs against the GVWR of the TV AND the trailer? It’s the same 1,000lbs.....

2. You have another trailer 10k GVWR, with let’s say 4k GAWR (I understand the hitch jack carries weight so the axles add up to less than total GVWR). So, you have a fully loaded trailer up to the max GVWR, and then you and your family go camp in it for a week, did the addition of the people’s weights just put you over GVWR, and possibly over the GAWR?

During my own struggles to understand and manage my weights, I feel like I might be missing something important because so many of the combinations that I run for other people’s trailers (not 5ers because I don’t understand them that well yet) and tow vehicles, it’s not even close....like thousands of pounds over-weight. Not judging at all just trying to get myself where I want to be numbers-wise, and maybe I’m figuring things incorrectly?

Thanks! -Jim-
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the trailers GVWR includes the trailer weight and tongue weight or pin weight since that weight is still on the frame. It also comes out of the trucks GVWR as well. I suppose in that regard it does get counted “twice”, but they are separate calculations.

Your research does not surprise me at all, I’d bet most RV owners are overweight by some amount based on what I see on the roads and at campgrounds. Pretty much any fifth wheel being pulled by a 3/4 ton diesel truck is going to be overweight.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirugger View Post
    ..so in that spirit, I had a question from my recent trip to the CAT Scales.....
    LOL, I like the way you think. I use the same logic when I weigh myself, I put my hand on the counter so I won't get dizzy and fall over, suddenly my I have lost 10 pounds. As soon as my wife catches me and makes me take my hand off the counter my true GVW shows up.... Darn!

So to get your true GVW set your RV on the scale and unhook your truck, then you will find out what your RV GVW is without having to do any calculatin...

7*13=28
    Last edited by D2Reid; 05-30-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. If you look at the rating of the axles they depend in the pin weight being taken off of them for you to load cargo up to max weight.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Does transferring your trailer weight onto the hitch....decreasing the available payload (of the TV) thereby affect the GVWR of the trailer? Follow me here with fictitious numbers for easy math:

2. You have another trailer 10k GVWR, with let’s say 4k GAWR (I understand the hitch jack carries weight so the axles add up to less than total GVWR). So, you have a fully loaded trailer up to the max GVWR, and then you and your family go camp in it for a week, did the addition of the people’s weights just put you over GVWR, and possibly over the GAWR?

Thanks! -Jim-
    Jim - interesting analysis and good to think about these things. Try the following on for size relative to your #1 item:.

Hiking back pack (your RV) says load limit of 100 lbs. and is fully loaded. You (your truck) weigh 200s lbs. You put on the back pack (transfer RV weight) to you. The back pack (RV) load limit is not impacted.......it is still 100lbs.

Relative to #2......the people are not traveling in the trailer so I trust you are referencing the RV weight when stopped. I suspect many RVs are way over RV GVWR when several folks are inside when the RV is at or close to max before all the people enter. This has never been brought up before as a condition to be concerned about. The dynamic loaded condition with impacts to suspension and frame when traveling are much more severe than being over by a few/several hundred lbs. when stopped in essentially a static condition. I am not an engineer but I did stay at a H.I. last night !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post

Hiking back pack (your RV) says load limit of 100 lbs. and is fully loaded. You (your truck) weigh 200s lbs. You put on the back pack (transfer RV weight) to you. The back pack (RV) load limit is not impacted.......it is still 100lbs.

Relative to #2......the people are not traveling in the trailer so I trust you are referencing the RV weight when stopped.

Dan
    Dan,

Absolutely! I would never have a person (or animal) in the trailer while I towed. We owned a Class-C RV and just being in the back of that while driving was borderline-catastrophic.....wife went back for a nap, two feet off the bed, eyes big as plates.....

Your backpack example is perfect.... thanks!
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmick35 View Post
    No. If you look at the rating of the axles they depend in the pin weight being taken off of them for you to load cargo up to max weight.

I have the 3500 axles on my 2800BH (GVWR 7,495), and it’s my opinion that they cut it way too close. I should have fought for the 4400lb axles......
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do I feel like I’m about to get my membership card to a club I never wanted to be in......?

The TwoTimeTV Club
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do I feel like I’m about to get my membership card to a club I never wanted to be in......?

The TwoTimeTV Club
    Because like me, you don't want to lay in bed at night worrying about your truck! You know you're gonna do it. Might as well get it over with...
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Because like me, you don't want to lay in bed at night worrying about your truck! You know you're gonna do it. Might as well get it over with...
    My wife just laughed and said “How does he know you?” Hahaha
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast