User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FordmanNJ's OBX Planning Inquiry

Hello GDRVOG,

After several days of discussion and waiting to review time off policies, my wife and I are in the process of planning a trip to the Outer Banks, NC this year as our summer vacation trip. Our plan is to go at the end of July and into August. I have been doing some homework on this matter like routes, campgrounds, activities/ things to see or do, etc. Here is what I got so far....

Trip Route...

This is our first long distance trip with the new trailer. I wanted to do one when we first got the trailer but the timing was not there at the time. We had a shorter more locally planned trip prior to our purchase of the trailer which worked out well since we had a minor issue for the dealer to take care of which they handled well. The other nice thing with the local trips were the ability to get use to the new trailer. Going from a shorter and lighter trailer to our current trailer 285BHTS there was some learning curve in towing characteristics. Now I feel better about the handling of the trailer and the like. I tend to know what to expect. So without further ado let's get down to route.

Our current revision of the plan has us starting from a local campground in which we are staying for the weekend. The CG is on the PA side of the Delaware close access to Route 80 and other roads heading for getting South. Google maps has a route with us going basically 611/33/22/476/95 to get into Delaware. Within DE, I believe it is 95/13/1 junction to take 1 down most of DE to 113 to 13 into MD. 13 through VA to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel. Out of the CBBT onto 13 some more to I 64 to 168 into NC 168/158 then on 12. Which eventually leads to the campground.

611 can be an adventure of a road to trailer on. I have done it with both the old trailer and the current one. Just hilly with some blind spots. I'm tending to think about getting on to 80 to 33 for just on the basis of ease of travel. I have been on the road down to Dover in a car but that's about it. Nothing more than that. I have towed for work and our first trailer around the Philly area and am familiar with PA turnpike NE extension. So I know what to expect road and traffic conditions. However, I have never really been on the roads in DE/MD/VA and NC in this direction. Many years ago (think early 90s), my family and I camped in the Delmarva area in Chincoteague. I vaguely remember the trip but not the ride. What's the ride like? What should I expect? Is it going to be OK with trailer in tow? Is this a fairly popular route for RVers? Any helpful advice with this route? I read up on the CBBT and that should not be an issue height wise and I generally adhere to turning off the Propane during the transit of the bridge tunnel. What is it like to pull on NC12? What should I expect there? Any and all advice welcome with this one.

Campground recommendations...

Right now I have found a number of places. They are all over in price and amenities including access to the beaches. Some have beach access right from the resort. Others you are driving for 10 minutes. Of course it all comes for a price. Some places look like it's in someone's backyard. Others have paved roads, concrete pads, and full hook ups which is nice for showers and the like. I have been looking at Camp Hatteras RV resort which is on the more expensive side but seems to offer more with that price. Has anyone here been there? Anything good or bad to say? The wife seems interested in the place as well. She likes the locale as it would be centrally located for a couple of day trips. However we are all ears on suggestions.

Outside activities....

My wife is now getting more involved on this side of the planning. I gave some input on my end. Wright Brother NHS, Cape Hatteras National seashore, and possibility of a trip up to Corolla for some 4 wheeling sight seeing trip. My daughter wants to check out Roanoke since they learned about this in school. She now a fascination of the lost colony story. My wife is fine with going to a nature preserve/ national park area to look for wild life and have our daughter get involved with a junior ranger program and so forth. However one my biggest things I have in request is to sit on the beach and do nothing but stare at the ocean and drink beer. LoL Anything else that is worth checking out. I did read the posting below as well. Pretty much on par what we have going on in the pre planning stages.

My apologies for sounding long winded. I have a few questions on the planning to make it smoother for us when we go. I really don't want "OMG what a nightmare!!!!" type of trip. When I first thought of the idea of going down, it seemed like good idea. Then again I was half way through a 6 pack too. lol

Thanks for all the advice...
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with taking 1 to 113 to 13, stay on 113 as long as you can, 13 has lots of traffic lights. Check it out on the map, they go almost parallel for awhile, so just make sure you know where you are getting off of 113. The CBBT is pricey, it's close to $20 now if I recall. It consists of 25 miles and two tunnels. Make sure you feel confident staying in the lanes. Each tunnel has 2 lanes, but opposing traffic (1 lane each way). Also, be prepared if wind speed is too high they will restrict what traffic can cross and you will be forced to wait it out. If you have an EZPass, bring it. The CBBT uses it and so does 168.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What campground are you staying at in Pa? You're right in our neighborhood. We are only a few miles from the Portland/Columbia bridge.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    What campground are you staying at in Pa? You're right in our neighborhood. We are only a few miles from the Portland/Columbia bridge.
    I will be camping at Driftstone on the Delaware. We have gone there for over 20 or so years off and on with various family members. Pretty much we have been regulars not seasonals since 2009. My parents usually get a site for a month or so. When we got our first trailer in 2011, we started doing a week or so plus weekends during the same time period. As a matter of fact, we just did a quick weekend trip there this past weekend. It was nice. Interesting thing is my cousin's family is related to the owners of Otter Lake in Marshall's Creek. They grew up down the road from there and worked there when they were much younger. My parents camped there a couple of times in the past. I think my cousin takes his trailer over there once in a while for nothing. However, I think his wife has a family member who is a seasonal at Driftstone so they tend to frequent the campground more often than not. It's funny when we were all younger we would all go camping together. Some 30 plus years later, we are doing the same thing now with our kids. Our children about the same age and hang out together when we go camping. We also know a few other people who also go camping there that we didn't even know they knew about the place.

The other nice thing about Driftstone, it's about a 15 minute drive from my storage site. So it's a pretty easy to get the trailer to and from for quick impromptu weekends with the trailer.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From Driftstone, I would make my way to I78, then to I81.

Take 81 to 64 all the way across.

It is a bit longer, but a whole lot less congested than running 95.

OBX is an awesome place. Take the ferry to Ocracoke and have lunch or dinner at Howards Pub. Also, Outer Banks Brewing Station in Kill Devil Hills. The sand dunes in Jockey's Ridge State Park is a must see, if you've never been there.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    From Driftstone, I would make my way to I78, then to I81.

Take 81 to 64 all the way across.

It is a bit longer, but a whole lot less congested than running 95.

OBX is an awesome place. Take the ferry to Ocracoke and have lunch or dinner at Howards Pub. Also, Outer Banks Brewing Station in Kill Devil Hills. The sand dunes in Jockey's Ridge State Park is a must see, if you've never been there.
    I will look into the 78/81/64 option. I know it will be much longer in time and distance to get there. However, traffic and weather conditions will be a deciding factor. If the local weather conditions at the CBBT are not favorable for crossing this is going to add time to the trip as well as any shore traffic in the DE/MD area. Philly is like NYC naturally congested. The 476 to 95 section might be OK when I get into that area. Pretty much that whole stretch between Boston to DC is. SInce the bridge would be an interesting part of the trip, we are kind of looking forward to it. I know the tunnel is tight though. The only problem is the RV dealer is not open on Sundays which probably works in favor for my wallet. lol

My wife mentioned about taking a ferry to some island. She said it would be a day trip type activity. I am sure that is in the mix. Since we will be in the Kitty Hawk area for one of the days down there, I think a trip to the OBX Brew station would be in order. I will mention to her about Jockey's Ridge too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely go down the peninsula and take the CBBT then stay on 13 to I64 to 168. The bridge itself is a sight to see. Once you get on I64 from 13, move one lane to the left, then eventually one more (lots of time to do this) ... if there are two lanes to your left when you cross Greenbrier and Battlefield you'll be in the correct lane for the 168 exit. Traffic is heavier between 3 and 6 pm, and Saturday/Sunday when all the tourists are headed for the weekly rentals at OBX. If you are listening to our Hampton Roads traffic, you are traveling east on I64 and go over the Twin Bridges, past Indian River Road, but exit before the High Rise Bridge.

On the eastern shore about 5 miles north of the tunnel Stingray's restaurant will be on your left in a gas station - great place to eat. It's close to Kiptopeke State Park, a good place to stay. On the OBX, the First Flight Memorial and Jockeys Ridge are interesting. We liked Awful Arthur's restaurant near the Avalon pier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    Thanks for all the advice...
    If you do end up going through Delaware and pass through Dover, the Air Mobility Command museum on the south end of the base (accessible to the public) is well worth the visit. They have a C-5 Galaxy on display. If you've never been in one it is a wonder to see how much it can hold! Beautiful airplanes and other displays inside the hangar, too. (When I was stationed at Dover we'd have retirements and other significant events in the building.) At least once a month they used to open all of the displays and volunteers who worked on or flew the aircraft are available to answer questions. It is a fun day when the grey beards are there! (Call the museum in advance for dates and times. Note this is all from memory and a few years ago--hopefully they still do it.)

Have fun on the beach! Don't forget the sunscreen as you're drinking those beers and listening to Jimmy Buffett. OBX is a fun place...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FordmanNJ View Post
    I will be camping at Driftstone on the Delaware. We have gone there for over 20 or so years off and on with various family members. Pretty much we have been regulars not seasonals since 2009. My parents usually get a site for a month or so. When we got our first trailer in 2011, we started doing a week or so plus weekends during the same time period. As a matter of fact, we just did a quick weekend trip there this past weekend. It was nice. Interesting thing is my cousin's family is related to the owners of Otter Lake in Marshall's Creek. They grew up down the road from there and worked there when they were much younger. My parents camped there a couple of times in the past. I think my cousin takes his trailer over there once in a while for nothing. However, I think his wife has a family member who is a seasonal at Driftstone so they tend to frequent the campground more often than not. It's funny when we were all younger we would all go camping together. Some 30 plus years later, we are doing the same thing now with our kids. Our children about the same age and hang out together when we go camping. We also know a few other people who also go camping there that we didn't even know they knew about the place.

The other nice thing about Driftstone, it's about a 15 minute drive from my storage site. So it's a pretty easy to get the trailer to and from for quick impromptu weekends with the trailer.
    Driftstone is about 15 minutes from us. One of our closest friends cleans their house.

Our usual weekend getaway is Promised Land State Park.

I would agree on 78 to 81 to 64. It is a way more relaxing drive, unless you really want to experience the Bay Bridge Tunnel. It is a neat experience. You could do one route on the way down, and the other on the way back.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update....

Our vacation time was approved by our employers. Tonight I finalized our campground. We decided on Camp Hatteras RV Resort. My wife did her own research and said it sounds perfectly fine for the camping side of things. Then she found some articles on best camping in the Carolinas I would say clickbait/ advertisement style articles mentioning this place is up there in terms of amenities, location, appearance, and so forth. So we will see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    If you do end up going through Delaware and pass through Dover, the Air Mobility Command museum on the south end of the base (accessible to the public) is well worth the visit. They have a C-5 Galaxy on display. If you've never been in one it is a wonder to see how much it can hold! Beautiful airplanes and other displays inside the hangar, too. (When I was stationed at Dover we'd have retirements and other significant events in the building.) At least once a month they used to open all of the displays and volunteers who worked on or flew the aircraft are available to answer questions. It is a fun day when the grey beards are there! (Call the museum in advance for dates and times. Note this is all from memory and a few years ago--hopefully they still do it.)

Have fun on the beach! Don't forget the sunscreen as you're drinking those beers and listening to Jimmy Buffett. OBX is a fun place...
    Yup Dover AFB. I have a friend retired USAF. Served 24 years as a Loadmaster on a C-130 Herc out of Alaska. He now lives just outside of Glacier NP in Montana. It might be near to work in a sight seeing trip to something like a C-5 cause how often would you see something like that on a regular basis. The last time I was in lower Delaware the highway was under construction and in the middle of a widening updating project. So there was traffic on it during the off season due to this work. My wife's uncle has a house on Delaware's beach front. He was saying traffic was hit or miss with when he has to go down to deal with the house since it is a rental.

Yeah Sunscreen for my pasty skin is definitely a must. They could just dip me into a vat of it to keep me protected. I'm pretty sure I heard the wife say she was going to stock up this weekend just in case there is a mid summer run out. She knows it is key to protect the driver. However if it came down to it, she would learn real fast to know how to drive the truck with the trailer in tow. Some Jimmy Buffet but no Porch of Indecision? humm... I will have to think about that one. Quick story about that one. When we did a family vacation to Universal last year, we walked right past JB's Margaritaville each day. Each day I would say the porch of indecision is looking mighty nice right now. So my wife said fine we will go on our last night. We had a blast. My daughter was one with the Volcano and the song. I drank alot of beer on the porch. There was no indecision there. We all had a good time. Luckily my wife does not drink. She was able to keep it between the navigational beacons where I was probably not able to do myself. However it is 5 O clock somewhere. I seen some food choices out there so we will probably make our way to a few of them over the course of our vacation. We do also like using our Reflection kitchen too. The kitchen was actually a huge selling point for us. We went from something that turned out make due usable to really usable we like to now cook at the trailer. Personally I blame our purchasing dealer for this because they had so many GD RVs to choose from. LoL

Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    Driftstone is about 15 minutes from us. One of our closest friends cleans their house.

Our usual weekend getaway is Promised Land State Park.

I would agree on 78 to 81 to 64. It is a way more relaxing drive, unless you really want to experience the Bay Bridge Tunnel. It is a neat experience. You could do one route on the way down, and the other on the way back.

Small world. That's pretty funny how your friend knows them. Yeah I figured you were close in Bangor. Its a nice, small quiet campground. While researching GD Reflection line up we could not have picked a better weekend for it. It was the weekend before the 4th. So there were a number of campers there and at least 4 additional GD RVs besides the seasonal people. The seasonals who owned them had no problem with answering questions about their rigs, recommending a dealer or even just making a comment about the trailers. The weekenders were the same way. They had no issues recommending a dealer or even recommending a model. One guy knew models like the back of his hand and he was on his second GD since he outgrew the first one.

Promise Land SP I-80 Exit 274 I think? I have past it many a time heading out to Knoebel's for a long weekend. Never been there though. I know someone on another Forum who use to live about 30 minutes from there before his wife got relocated to near Harrisburg. He would go there often for pretty much nothing since his wife works for the PA Natural Resources Commission at least i think that what the division is called. I met her at the Hershey show a couple of years ago in the PA State Parks booth there. Him and his wife were working the booth. He use to work in the maintenance division of the NRC but I know he doesn't work for them anymore.

Anyway, back to the route planning. The primary reason for the DelMarVa route is to drive over and through the CBBT. I am factoring in possible weather conditions that might restrict my travel through that area. If I find the traffic to heavy, it might be the other route on the way home. The other factor is I know the tunnel is tight and non divided. I don't have a problem with this. However, my passagers mainly my wife might. So having that alternate route might be a good thing.

Well keep them coming and thank you for the suggestions so far....
    Last edited by FordmanNJ; 06-06-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast