User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run Onan generator while towing?

After reading a few comments on how you shouldn't run the fridge on propane while traveling I'm thinking of just running the generator on my next trip to Houston. It's about a 3.5 hr tow and in summer it would be nice to run 1 a/c unit as well and pre-cool the inside. I always run the fridge for a day or so on shore power and then load with food. Has anyone else tried this and if so did any issues come up. I'm guessing it would use 3-4 gallons of propane so not that big an expense.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the difference is between running the generator or running the fridge on propane. Propane is still on and running. I would run the fridge and then let the AC cool the trailer in about an hour once you get hooked up at the campground. The first thing I do is hook up shore power and turn on the AC, then level, slides water disconnect the truck. By the time all the outside setup is done, inside has cooled off some.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob. I agree the propane is still running but my thoughts were that no open flame is involved and my fridge seems to cool better on electricity than propane(might just be in my head.) The main benefit is to have it nice and cool inside when I arrive. With two ac's it does cool reasonably quick but on a 100 degree high humidity Texas summer day it would be nice not to wait. Years ago I had a 31ft class C and you had to run the generator and roof a/c while driving as the dash air couldn't keep up.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run my generator while going down the road all the time. My though is, every motorhome going down the road has theirs on, so why not a trailer.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run it much of the time when in motion.

We will give it a break for a few hours to save fuel but I'm not running an inverter yet on the momentum and have a residential fridge (had one on our mobile suites though I've just been lazy}. Plus we like it cool when we stop. Thus generator usage.

The propane fridge is a pig on propane or electric. Take your pic. We drove thousands of miles with propane fridge no issue, we have driven many thousands with a residential fridge, also no issues.

If it doesn't ignite, the gas will stop flowing and if that were to fail it would fail on the RV pad as easily as on the road. Plenty of posts here about failed boards on water heaters, fridges and units not igniting.

Bit of topic but I despise those propane fridges in general and the jury rigged temp sensor workaround from the last rash of norcold fires. One of the many reasons we ditched it. I realize not everyone has that option.

Anyway, don't stress about it. There are other more likely and serious things to worry about than the pilot blowing out. Tech to deal with that has been on gas devices for some time now.
    Last edited by Aridon; 05-18-2019 at 12:19 AM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input aridon, I too hate the propane fridge. I have to turn mine on 2-3 days before a trip so it's cold enough to use. I'm in the investigative stages of removing it and installing the Samsung residential fridge that I wish it had from the beginning. Talked to my dealer and took a lot of measurements on a stock unit they had and he said it's a fairly easy job. They did not want to get into wiring the inverter in and I'm fine with that, that's why I paid a fortune to have the Onan installed. It will be nice to arrive at a campsite with a cold fridge and a cooled down trailer
    Jeff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always towed with the propane on but after reading the comments about not being safe I would install one of the values described in the video below and I would still tow with the propane on and not worry about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFNJPOVh2dg
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    After reading a few comments on how you shouldn't run the fridge on propane while traveling I'm thinking of just running the generator on my next trip to Houston. It's about a 3.5 hr tow and in summer it would be nice to run 1 a/c unit as well and pre-cool the inside. I always run the fridge for a day or so on shore power and then load with food. Has anyone else tried this and if so did any issues come up. I'm guessing it would use 3-4 gallons of propane so not that big an expense.
    Do you know how much extra weight on your pin was with the generator added? Thanks, Diesel

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDevilDog View Post
    Do you know how much extra weight on your pin was with the generator added? Thanks, Diesel
    Yes, just replied to your other thread. My pin weight went up about 750 pounds with generator, washer/dryer, 2nd battery, and two 40 lb propane tanks.
    Jeff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Yes, just replied to your other thread. My pin weight went up about 750 pounds with generator, washer/dryer, 2nd battery, and two 40 lb propane tanks.
    Thanks Texas...................I was afraid of that..........................Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast