User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put some in my "cart" on amazon. I don't se an issue on my rig - but then again it's only two months old. We are taking a longer trip this weekend so I'll be checking it when we get to the campground or more likely at the halfway point when I get gas.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went and took a look at my awning yesterday evening and my fears were confirmed. This is the doorway entry awning - the awning over the slide while screwed in, shows no sign of this issue. Although the installation looks a little different. The silicone is actually pulling up the side decal. I'm 2 months out of warranty - this really aggravates me. I'll be calling GDRV customer service this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3139.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	20672 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3143.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	20673
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    Went and took a look at my awning yesterday evening and my fears were confirmed. This is the doorway entry awning - the awning over the slide while screwed in, shows no sign of this issue. Although the installation looks a little different. The silicone is actually pulling up the side decal. I'm 2 months out of warranty - this really aggravates me. I'll be calling GDRV customer service this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3139.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	20672 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3143.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	20673
    VERY discouraging to see this type of thing still going on after 7 model years of production.

If it was me I would go right to the top (VP Jerry McCarthy of Customer Service) and talk about this on my RV. And in addition and more importantly, it would be to have a big picture professional discussion with the objective to have Jerry get with the appropriate design, engineering, and production folks along with the top leadership team to implement changes to prevent this from occurring on future models.

The "same old same old" production is totally unacceptable.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    VERY discouraging to see this type of thing still going on after 7 model years of production.

If it was me I would go right to the top (VP Jerry McCarthy of Customer Service) and talk about this on my RV. And in addition and more importantly, it would be to have a big picture professional discussion with the objective to have Jerry get with the appropriate design, engineering, and production folks along with the top leadership team to implement changes to prevent this from occurring on future models.

The "same old same old" production is totally unacceptable.

Dan
    Dan - I called customer service just now. Although the person was very helpful - told me they would reimburse the dealer would help fix it, I voiced my concern that the dealer would simply put in longer screws, and also reported how they treated my camper the last time it was there.

How do I get in touch with this guy Jerry McCarthy? I was in the middle of sending Janice who replied to someone in the thread you provided. I don't mind trying this myself if it is an easy fix although I don't know what the decal will look like afterward.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan - I called customer service just now. Although the person was very helpful - told me they would reimburse the dealer would help fix it, I voiced my concern that the dealer would simply put in longer screws, and also reported how they treated my camper the last time it was there.

How do I get in touch with this guy Jerry McCarthy? I was in the middle of sending Janice who replied to someone in the thread you provided. I don't mind trying this myself if it is an easy fix although I don't know what the decal will look like afterward.
    Janice is no longer with GD. You can reach Jerry via email. Send him the pictures as well.
    Jerry McCarthy - Vice President Customer Relations - [email protected]
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Janice is no longer with GD. You can reach Jerry via email. Send him the pictures as well.
    Jerry McCarthy - Vice President Customer Relations - [email protected]
    Awesome - thanks! Will do so this morning.

On Edit: Jerry is out of the office until 7/8
    Last edited by FatTire; 06-12-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome - thanks! Will do so this morning.

On Edit: Jerry is out of the office until 7/8
    @WhittleBurner - Thanks, Marcy & Gary.

@FatTire - apologize for not getting back to you but have been busy getting ready to head out for the weekend with our 303 and working on my honey-do list. Keep us posted.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    @WhittleBurner - Thanks, Marcy & Gary.

@FatTire - apologize for not getting back to you but have been busy getting ready to head out for the weekend with our 303 and working on my honey-do list. Keep us posted.

Dan
    No problem Dan - after receiving the Out of Office from Jerry McCarthy, my email was apparently routed to someone named Nicholas Cotner who dug up my phone number based on my VIN number and called me. He sent me an email with a part number for the correct rivet so the the dealer can check inventory or order. They gave me a reference number that authorizes payment to the dealership. Had a great conversation - he answered all my questions including about backing material in that area, and how the awning actually works.

People may not be aware - I wasn't, that the awning motors do not have a stopping point - they keep trying to spin the drum while your finger is on the button, which puts a lot of stress on this area. He stated that the rivets were the correct fix and that I'd be amazed at the holding power they have. His advice was to insert a rivet between each screw and replace the screws on the ends with a rivet. I forwarded his email to the service manager at my dealership - got to talk to my salesman too - who was a great guy to deal with. I didn't suggest it, but your absolutely correct - they should investigate and change the practice of using screws in production. They also should employ some kind of stopping point short of the roller wrenching the fabric against the side which would also go a long way in solving this problem.

I'm thinking I'll investigate my own mod like a bolt or some kind of bump stop near the top of the rail. If anyone would like the official part number, it is as copied from email:

Here is the oversized rivet description – GDRV# 960736 – RIVET - #625 TRI-FOLD LG FLG ALUM .039-.354 GRIP RANGE, BLACK.

I'm really happy with this outcome - Grand Design's customer service reputation came through yet again. Great company and people to deal with.
    Last edited by FatTire; 06-12-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One trick I was told, when you release the awning button going in, the awning will drift a couple inches. So I watch out my door and just before hitting (2” away) I let go of the button for the drift. Works well.

I have also towed the trailer with the awning not completely tight to the coach. Maybe an inch away from being tight. Have not seen any issues.

QUOTE=FatTire;239814]No problem Dan - after receiving the Out of Office from Jerry McCarthy, my email was apparently routed to someone named Nicholas Cotner who dug up my phone number based on my VIN number and called me. He sent me an email with a part number for the correct rivet so the the dealer can check inventory or order. They gave me a reference number that authorizes payment to the dealership. Had a great conversation - he answered all my questions including about backing material in that area, and how the awning actually works.

People may not be aware - I wasn't, that the awning motors do not have a stopping point - they keep trying to spin the drum while your finger is on the button, which puts a lot of stress on this area. He stated that the rivets were the correct fix and that I'd be amazed at the holding power they have. His advice was to insert a rivet between each screw and replace the screws on the ends with a rivet. I forwarded his email to the service manager at my dealership - got to talk to my salesman too - who was a great guy to deal with. I didn't suggest it, but your absolutely correct - they should investigate and change the practice of using screws in production. They also should employ some kind of stopping point short of the roller wrenching the fabric against the side which would also go a long way in solving this problem.

I'm thinking I'll investigate my own mod like a bolt or some kind of bump stop near the top of the rail. If anyone would like the official part number, it is as copied from email:

Here is the oversized rivet description – GDRV# 960736 – RIVET - #625 TRI-FOLD LG FLG ALUM .039-.354 GRIP RANGE, BLACK.

I'm really happy with this outcome - Grand Design's customer service reputation came through yet again. Great company and people to deal with.[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superduty View Post
    One trick I was told, when you release the awning button going in, the awning will drift a couple inches. So I watch out my door and just before hitting (2” away) I let go of the button for the drift. Works well.
    Superduty - I tried this and it works just like you stated. Picked up my 303 from service last week, and am pretty happy with the outcome - other than the dealer trying to invoice me for the repair...
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast