User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Trailer Brakes

Strangest thing just happened..... we stopped for lunch, and the trailer brakes got SUPER sensitive! We had the gain on 8.0 (which was quite a bit higher than the 4.5 we had before we had the entire axle assemblies replaced months ago). We’ve been on the road almost a month. Luckily there was a large parking lot to test, and the 8.0 was violently stopping us. I dialed it down, and now 3.0 is about what I’m used to, and 1.0 does nothing noticeable. WHAT is going on? And HOW could this have happened? I checked everything, all looks normal. Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirugger View Post
    Strangest thing just happened..... we stopped for lunch, and the trailer brakes got SUPER sensitive! We had the gain on 8.0 (which was quite a bit higher than the 4.5 we had before we had the entire axle assemblies replaced months ago). We’ve been on the road almost a month. Luckily there was a large parking lot to test, and the 8.0 was violently stopping us. I dialed it down, and now 3.0 is about what I’m used to, and 1.0 does nothing noticeable. WHAT is going on? And HOW could this have happened? I checked everything, all looks normal. Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Did they get cold or wet or anything? Leaving from my last trip, mine did that until they warmed up. It was weird. We had been parked for days though.

I dialed the boost down on the TBC (Tekonsha P3) for a few miles and then everything was fine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    Did they get cold or wet or anything? Leaving from my last trip, mine did that until they warmed up. It was weird. We had been parked for days though.

I dialed the boost down on the TBC (Tekonsha P3) for a few miles and then everything was fine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    It did rain some last night, not a ton, clear skies today, and had driven about 70 miles before it happened. Temps are mid 60’s. This is so strange!
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of your new brakes work better after some use to seat them. Second hot brakes work better than cold brakes - to a point. I usually start out around 7.5 gain , then drop back to around 6.0 after a few miles. 3.0 does sound a bit low , but whatever works.
    I have seen on rare occasion an elec brake that will cam over suddenly and grab due to adjustment.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me you have two possibilities:

Something was wrong before and somehow self-corrected. Are they self-adjusting brakes? Maybe loose wiring made a better connection on the road???

Or something went wrong to make the brakes want to grab. Likely mechanical issue with the brakes.

I would make a good long stop like an exit ramp and check brake temperatures to be sure the are even and you don’t have one really outdoing itself.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Seems to me you have two possibilities:

Something was wrong before and somehow self-corrected. Are they self-adjusting brakes? Maybe loose wiring made a better connection on the road???

Or something went wrong to make the brakes want to grab. Likely mechanical issue with the brakes.

I would make a good long stop like an exit ramp and check brake temperatures to be sure the are even and you don’t have one really outdoing itself.
    That’s a good point, I do not believe they are “self adjusting” but will look into it. As soon as we stopped I took temp gun to brakes, rear axle brake were 200-210 both sides (driver and passenger) and front axle brakes were about 40-45° cooler. This did not seem odd to me.

As we pulled into Rapid City, lady decided to walk
    Across the street, 3.0 wasn’t quite enough, so I went up to 4.0 now.

Again, this is just strange to me as we are 2,000 miles into the trip, no crazy elevation change or temp or moisture change. I’m disconnecting now, and will see again in a week or so. Thank you!
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I’ve towed twice (about 500miles) since the brakes became much more sensitive & I guess 4.0 gain is the new 8.0 gain on the trailer brakes. I check them every time, and they function properly now at a much lower setting than before? Nothing else has seemed odd, or different, so....... I’ll keep them at 4.0 unless something changes (again).
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]