User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery not charging.

Just safely completed a 2700 mile trip from Texas to New Brunswick, Canada in our 311BHS. About a day in noticed my battery wasn’t charging on 50A - we’d wake up with low juice in the battery - but it’s getting good charge from my truck alternator. Fortunately I had my battery charger so I could deal with it for the trip. Doing some diagnosis with a multimeter the voltage across the cables in the front compartment that should be charging the battery only showed ~9v when on a 50A post, and less when on 30A, so I figured I had a converter problem. But, I checked the converter and it’s giving me just over 12v going to the power center. So, I think I can see why my battery isn’t charging - its seeing less than 12v - but do I really have a converter problem or is it something at the power center?? I’m not particularly electrically competent and will be calling GD soon, but any ideas on my problem or further diagnosis?? What should be the right converter output voltage, >12v?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the battery shut off switch in the 'ON' position?
    RobM
    RobM
    2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 L5P, Transfer Flow 35 Gal Aux Fuel Tank, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau Cover
    2018 Solitude 310-GKR, Curt Q-20 puck system hitch, TST TPMS 507, Titan discs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery not charging.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Is the battery shut off switch in the 'ON' position?
    RobM
    Yep, I have power to the trailer when disconnected from shore power. The disconnect switch is open.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you determine you woke up with low battery power?

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    How did you determine you woke up with low battery power?

Brian
    The inside power indicator was down to 2 lights and when I went to auto retract rear jacks the program quit after less than 30secs, no power. We also had flickering inside lights.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlife69 View Post
    The inside power indicator was down to 2 lights and when I went to auto retract rear jacks the program quit after less than 30secs, no power. We also had flickering inside lights.

With this info I would trouble shoot the converter. Check all connections , power into the converter and out. There are 2 fuses on the converter itself. When on shore power the converter should power everything in the camper, if the load is to high then it will draw from the battery. Also if the load is high for an extended time the converter will not have enough to charge the battery.

So it may be a converter issue or a deeply discharged battery. Again check all connections including grounds.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With this info I would trouble shoot the converter. Check all connections , power into the converter and out. There are 2 fuses on the converter itself. When on shore power the converter should power everything in the camper, if the load is to high then it will draw from the battery. Also if the load is high for an extended time the converter will not have enough to charge the battery.

So it may be a converter issue or a deeply discharged battery. Again check all connections including grounds.

Brian
    Thanks Brian. The fuses are good, I checked already. The ~12v output from the converter... is that working correctly? I’ve heard it should be 13-14v.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it should output 13.2 v float, 13.6 absorption mode. and 14.4 bulk charging. So when in use you should see 3 modes, might be hard to tell in between. If your battery is low you should see the 14.4 v or close to that.
    https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9855-55-amp/

This is the link to WFCO.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it should output 13.2 v float, 13.6 absorption mode. and 14.4 bulk charging. So when in use you should see 3 modes, might be hard to tell in between. If your battery is low you should see the 14.4 v or close to that.
    https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9855-55-amp/

This is the link to WFCO.

Brian
    Perfect. Looks like mine is out of range. In reading the operating manual it says the 9855 should be protected by two 35A fuses. Mine has two 30A fuses... So, before I buy a replacement converter, would replacing with the correct spec fuses help??

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No to replacing the fuses. The fuses protect against drawing to many amps. If the 30a fuses did not blow then it has not drawn over 30 amps. Some of the "electric gurus" here will chime in with some more help on trouble shooting this before you replace it, you might want to wait for there input.
    If you do replace I would recommend a Progressive Dynamics , they have a 9260 model I think is what was recommended here that I have got for replacing mine this winter or if it goes bad before then.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast