User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Not what you wanna hear, but @Cate&Rob has shown that on at least some GD trailers the factory ignores the Valterra specifications for routing the cables that operate these valves and that leads to performance/failure problems. If you search his username you'll find some of his posts about the problem, and things he's done to fix it.
    On my 1 year old Solitude both the black and bathroom grey tanks would not close all the way (even though the handles would push in all the way), I just finished replacing all 3 valves and rerouting all of the cables. I can now open and close them with 1 finger. They were not working very well when we purchased it and continued to get worse over time as well as more and more leakage. Time will tell. We also have the external valve for the inevitable surprise.
    Last edited by joeshantz; 06-18-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    Joe & Melissa
    2018 Solitude 310GK, Sailun S637’s, Morryde 7k IS
    2021 Ram Bighorn 3500 DRW 4x4
    Southwest Missouri

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshantz View Post
    On my 1 year old Solitude both the black and bathroom grey tanks would not close all the way (even though the handles would push in all the way), I just finished replacing all 3 valves and rerouting all of the cables. I can now open and close them with 1 finger. They were not working very well when we purchased it and continued to get worse over time as well as more and more leakage. Time will tell. We also have the external valve for the inevitable surprise.
    Yup, I also put a very small sheet metal screw in the external valve to keep it from coming off at the wrong time.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
    The added twist valve also allows you to have that closed while opening gray water holding tank valves. It allows more gray water storage. One of the easiest and cheapest ways to do that. But, in the case of a leaking black tank valve, I don't know how that would work out.
    Gordo - excellent observation that in the event of a leaking black valve when using the add-on gate valve with the gray tanks open to maximize capacities, one would then most likely contaminate the gray water and thus the tanks with black water too. Over all the years on the forum, I do not recall anyone bringing this up. Thank you, for pointing this out.

To the OP @Tom and Kim - the cables do not have an adjustment. There is a set screw where the cable end is inserted into the section where the gate valve opens and closes. It is unlikely that this has moved but certainly possible. One would need to drop the coroplast to determine this and tighten if the case. If you search the net you will find pictures of the cable/valve assembly to see what I am referring to.

Many of us have had obstructions in one or more gate valves often caused by plastic pieces left in the tank after the factory adds vent/other piping. Certainly things we all "deposit" into the tanks can also contribute. As others have mentioned, back flushing is a good option to consider.

We just got back from a trip and had a leaking gray valve. This happened a couple years ago too. I made my own back flush attachment and used this again yesterday and now the valve closes and have no leaking. I actually still got out more black plastic pieces even after 5 seasons of use ! I also squirt a little Dawn into the nose (it points up to prevent the Dawn from coming out) to clean the tanks and lube the gate valve and seals.

I open and close the valves a few times during the drain process. Do not close when running the hose as the water will have no place to go thus damaging gate valves or cracking/bursting of pipes is a real possibility. An exception is when flushing both gray tanks (assuming both connected to the same sewer pipe) at the same time one valve can be closed and opened a few times when the other is open.

Here are a couple pictures of my back flush attachment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150704_161448.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	20861 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190618_121926.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	20862

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all. Wow, lots of info. The added gate valve would keep the surprises away. I have the clear one with the flush connections on it but cannot travel with it because it is too low. (344GK). I will try some of these things Sunday (flush day). It has leaked slowly since I purchased it but seems to have gotten worse. For now to shower leaking is #1 problem to solve. It was not caulked and runs out of the rail, onto the floor and into the bedroom.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just posted on another thread about my black tank valve sticking open. Some good advice here, thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeshantz View Post
    How did you get to the valves etc? Did you have to take the bottom plastic stuff off?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1984fireball View Post
    How did you get to the valves etc? Did you have to take the bottom plastic stuff off?
    I did have to remove the plastic bottom to get to the valves to replace them. On my 310 Solitude, it would be the back 2-3 feet of the front drop section.
    Joe & Melissa
    2018 Solitude 310GK, Sailun S637’s, Morryde 7k IS
    2021 Ram Bighorn 3500 DRW 4x4
    Southwest Missouri

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12