User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Modern diesel trucks are very complex and repairs are expensive. That could justify an extended warranty.

Travel trailers and 5th wheels are not complex and repairs are generally far less expensive. An air conditioner compressor is a few hundred dollars, a new converter is less than $250. Plumbing valves and pvc are inexpensive. A whole new microwave is only a few hundred dollars.

What covered expense can happen on a 5th wheel that would justify thousands of dollars in a service contract?
    For instance the A/C is not repairable per the manufacturer (I know, anything is repairable given enough time and money). Our second A/C was $1600 installed. I spend way too much time fixing this trailer. I don't mind getting professional help when we're on the road. Purchasing an extended warranty hasn't changed our standard of living other than sometimes I don't have to fix this thing. Repairs on the road, slide issues, etc. are expensive.
    Last edited by J&G garage; 06-20-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good points Keith. That's why they sell them, because it's a crap shoot. I figure if I get burned on not having a service contract on this trailer I will still be ahead for all of those years and units I didn't buy one.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Put the money in the same place you keep the rest of your investments and earn interest on it. Spend down the saved money as needed. The actuarial tables are on the side of the warranty company or they wouldn't offer it.
    This is true but one must also consider that the actuarial tables are valid only for large samples and help insurance companies profit from risk by building reserves ( Extended warranties are an insurance policy not a warranty). Individuals cannot do this in the same way and have greater risk exposure.

In the end , one has to determine individually . Yes its profitable for the "extended warranty " (insurance) carrier but they can be profitable while paying out a large individual claim , in part because they have income from interest on the reserves. Could i self insure and come out ahead? Probably, but the risk of failure is also high . If you have reserves and can invest, self insuring might make sense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2018 310GK and didn’t purchase an extended warranty. We have had several issues in the past 2 years including a hydraulic leak on the table/chair side, refrigerator issues 3 times (most of which is the over paid techs not figuring out what the issue was), water leak twice on control center, tank heater problem, and some cosmetic things. All of these happened in the initial warranty period. The refrigerator issue went beyond the one year warranty but because it had been serviced for the same issue, GD approved the repair again. Turned out to be the door flap between the double fridge doors sticking. The only thing that would have been expensive would have been the hydraulic leak but it happened in the first year. I am not a fan of warranties. For the couple thousand or more they cost, you normally won’t get that back. As long as you have the money to pay for a repair should it be necessary, roll the dice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our trailer in Langley last sept. I don't buy extended warranties ever, but I did on the trailer. My reasoning, going rv full time, thus it will be used full time, higher % of issues than using just the summer months and like others said, it’s the labour costs that will soak you. 2ndly, higher probability of an issue, it’s a trailer! Lol. And we did the tire warranty. Never pulled a 5th wheel before and we all know Murphy’s law prevails, don’t get the warranties n everything goes wrong, get the warranties and nothing goes wrong! Lol.
    2019, Solitude 375RES
    2018, RAM 3500, Dually, Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, 4:10, AISIN

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingIt View Post
    We bought our trailer in Langley last sept. I don't buy extended warranties ever, but I did on the trailer. My reasoning, going rv full time, thus it will be used full time, higher % of issues than using just the summer months and like others said, it’s the labour costs that will soak you. 2ndly, higher probability of an issue, it’s a trailer! Lol. And we did the tire warranty. Never pulled a 5th wheel before and we all know Murphy’s law prevails, don’t get the warranties n everything goes wrong, get the warranties and nothing goes wrong! Lol.
    Your logic for getting the warranty seems very sound.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We started a second 'slush fund' savings account so it would be separate from other funds. The theory is 'out of site, out of mind.' We were going to pay so much down and so much per month for the extended warranty offered. We put the down payment in that slush fund and do an automatic monthly transfer that we would have paid in to that fund as well. We have one year to decide to take the extended warranty. If we have problems before September then we will use that towards the extended warranty. If we do not and end up depleting that fund at some point within the one year warranty + five year extended then we made a bad choice. I'll let you know in six years. :-)
    I asked a Service person at the dealership from where we purchased our Reflection and they said candidly that a lot of what many feel should be covered under warranty is not. He said seals were a good example. Sometimes it is a tear and covered. Sometimes the warranty coverage considers it to be normal wear and then it is a fight. I can see that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12