User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was an option, I think included in the tow technology package.

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-tpms-sensor-11804.html
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Skippy View Post
    Went on a four day trip last week to the mountains. On the way up and back I saw two truck&campers on the side of the interstate with blowouts. We are traveling more and last fall I installed Goodyear tires. I’m really concerned with the ramifications of a blowout and have decided to get a TPMS. Dealer where I purchased the camper is pushing the Pressure Pro FX system. I do like the idea of one less monitor but I’m still researching other units. I’m open for suggestions and as to which unit is y’all’s favorite.
    I also wanted a TPMS to play thru the phone to eliminate another display to view. I had second thoughts about using the display and having conflicts with my I phone GPS active. I would also check users viewpoints on the ability of the Bluetooth devices to transmit adequate signal strength. I found a smaller unit that says it will hold a charge for several days (maybe 3 day). You do not need to look at it as it will alarm on high temp or hi pressure. It is made by Bella Corp. http://bellacorptpms.com I just used it for the first time on a 1700 mi trip - worked fine. Now I have it setting on the left side of my instrument panel with rubber strips glued to the back and bottom to prevent rattling and movement.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It seems like the only well-reviewed TPMS setups are very expensive ($350+). Since I’ve had one flat tire in the past 35 years and I’ve seen no conclusive proof that a TPMS warns of a blowout, a TPMS seems like an option I don’t really need.
    I’ll just keep using my $5 tire gauge to check the pressure prior to every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    It seems like the only well-reviewed TPMS setups are very expensive ($350+). Since I’ve had one flat tire in the past 35 years and I’ve seen no conclusive proof that a TPMS warns of a blowout, a TPMS seems like an option I don’t really need.
    I’ll just keep using my $5 tire gauge to check the pressure prior to every trip.

I like having a TPMS, but like you, I still use the tire gauge. Sometimes tecknolergy ain't what it's all cracked up to be. ha.

BTW, DMB, I sent you a message about the Conejos. Wondering if you saw it.
    2019 F250 Lariat
    2020 Solitude S 2930RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thinking is, a TPMS might not warn you that your tire is about to blowout, but it will tell you when it blows out and you're not driving several miles with it shreading the side of your trailer.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    TST 507 also. I have the screw-on type sensors on my fifth wheel, as well as the front tires on my truck. They require metal valve stems. For the dual wheels, I have internal 507's that are relatively new to their lineup. They mount on really long hose clamps that are affixed to the inside of each rim. I use their extender that I have attached to the fifth wheel batteries in the front compartment via cheap black and red mini battery clamps.
    RobM
    This TPMS is under $200. I figured it was good insurance at that price and saves me from having to check air pressure every day.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I saw the side of my 2016 Solitude 379FL apart from a blowout ($1700 insurance claim) I bought a EZ-Tire system with 10 sensors, six on the truck and 4 for the Solitude. What I discovered was way worse than I had thought...

I had tried leaving the tires slightly below maximum pressure but blew two tires on the previous Fifth Wheel. When by Solitude blew I had set the pressures exactly to max cold (80 Psi.) before we started driving.

With the new EZ-Tire unit I discovered that my Solitude tires [GAINED 25-30 LBS.] PRESSURE in about an hour of driving!!!!! I had no idea that my tire pressures varied that much!!! My F250 (dually) gains almost 10 PSI. in the rear tires. The fronts change only a few pounds.

I had a set of Carlyle tires on a 38 foot travel trailer that lasted 20+ years. I replaced them with Carlyles. I have had NO issues with Carlyles over the years. I called my tire guy who found that Carlyle had 16 inch 14-ply load range "G" tires that are rated over 4300 pounds at 110 PSI. My rims are also rated 110 PSI max. These "G" tires weren't listed under RV's, but under agricultural tires. They are rated Highway at 80 Mph.

Based on these tires and my rims I set the EX-Tire max pressure to 110 Lbs. The first trip I set tire pressure to 95 Psi. An hour into the trip I ha to stop and let air out! The last trip I started at 85 Psi and two hours later my RV tires were all over 105 Psi but not max. It wasn't extremely hot that day so I figure I'll have to start out at 80 Psi for summer trips.

My Solitude weighs 14K empty with a 3400 pounds pin weight. Doing the math, my original Westlake tires were within a hundred pounds or so of max capacity...the weak link in the chain. By using load range "G" tires (14-ply) I feel much more comfortable starting out a trip at a lower pressure know that the pressures will begin rising as soon as I get on the highway. My temperatures never rise more than 10 degrees or so, but I cannot believe the temp sensors are all that accurate because they are actually outside of the tires with 60 Mph air cooling them off.

If you decide to get the EZ-Tire system, you will not be disappointed. I would offer three caveats though...

1. If you pull a longer RV, buy the "repeater" that they offer. Its less than $40. I have not lost one sensor on the highway since I installed mine inside the front storage area. I installed a small switch inside the solar plug cover to turn it off and on.

2. Do not purchase the "locking-type" sensors. There is a special tool required to install/remove them, but they can still be removed fairly easily. Also, you cannot put air in or out of the tire without removing the sensor. The standard sensors (about $35 each) have set screws to lock them in place, and you can air up or down the pressure through the sensor. If someone really wants to steal you sensor, neither type will positively keep that from happening.

3. The sensors are on ALL of the time when the batteries are inserted. If we will not be pulling the RV for several months, I remove the sensors AND remove their batteries. It takes a very small, quality Phillips screwdriver and a sandwich bag to keep all of the small parts under control. The mercury batteries are about $5 for an 8-pack, but will last years if they are removed when not being used. EZ-Tire says that the battery is useless if it get below 3 volts.

Just my 25 cents worth, but you will not be sorry with the EZ-Tire system. Had I even suspected that my tires were gaining almost 30 PSI while travelling i would have done this years ago. Its stressful enough pulling a long rig (Why don't people merging on a freeway ramp EVER look over their shoulders???). Not having to worry about if and when a tire will blow out removes a lot of stress!!! Frank Z.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post

DMB, I get ya, . What did we all do before technology? For tires, truck or RV we kept looking in our rear view mirrors and feeling the pulse of the rig in steering / suspension/ tugging for any signs of trouble. The slightest wiggle, the slightest sound, flying bits of rubber. On the other hand, our brains have been programmed to think we need this technology.

I'm with your thinking but, since the TST system I bought wasn't that expensive @ $200, and I chose to want to have it rather than thinking I must have it, and I can afford it, I'll use it.
    I also understand what it can and can not do. On my visual tire inspection, found a big spike nail in one of the trailer tires while looking them over. It stuck and bent over in the deep part of the thread but did not puncture the tire. My TPMS did not tell me this so just because I have one, I can't ignore tire inspections.
    Technology can make life a little easier.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    ...Carlyle had 16 inch 14-ply load range "G" tires that are rated over 4300 pounds at 110 PSI. My rims are also rated 110 PSI max.
    These "G" tires weren't listed under RV's, but under agricultural tires. They are rated Highway at 80 Mph....
    Doing the math, my original Westlake tires were within a hundred pounds or so of max capacity...the weak link in the chain.
    By using load range "G" tires (14-ply) I feel much more comfortable starting out a trip at a lower pressure know that the pressures will begin rising as soon as I get on the highway....
    My temperatures never rise more than 10 degrees or so...
    Thanks for your post, you got me thinking.

The Goodyear tires I’m running right now only give me about 500 pounds leeway for each tire, but if I replace them with those Carlyles, (and go from 15” to 16” rims) I would have a reserve of 2,051 pounds “per tire”!!!

Seems this would make them almost bullet-proof, as they’ll definitely not be under any real stress.

Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for EEZETire system but I always use a gauge.
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast