Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 310GK & Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Rocky View Post
    Is this the solar access from the roof to the basement area? Does anyone know if this is a vertical raceway through the wall?

Attachment 23118
    Yes looks like it although the so called satellite channel on our 310GK is closer to and right behind the front AC, so likely the path to the basement in yours will be different than ours. In our case the path to the basement was through the wall between the bathroom and bedroom, right behind the sink faucet. Also whether you can actually use it depends on how you install the solar because the hole in the roof is very narrow, barely the size of my index finger. In our case, I installed high voltage residential panels, enabling me to use narrower wire to the charge controller (10 gauge wire). For 12v solar systems it is much better to use heavier gauge wire, minimum 8-awg, 6-awg is better, neither of which will fit as you will be routing a positive and negative wire through.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    i look forward to your evaluation when you get to see one with the option. I’m not as talented and would need to have GD or the dealer install the components.
    You might contact AM Solar for help with a solar install. In addition to selling high quality components they do installs in their Springfield, OR facility or I believe they can recommend an approved installer, perhaps closer to you. These folks are very good to work with and do quality work.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    Yes looks like it although the so called satellite channel on our 310GK is closer to and right behind the front AC, so likely the path to the basement in yours will be different than ours. In our case the path to the basement was through the wall between the bathroom and bedroom, right behind the sink faucet. Also whether you can actually use it depends on how you install the solar because the hole in the roof is very narrow, barely the size of my index finger. In our case, I installed high voltage residential panels, enabling me to use narrower wire to the charge controller (10 gauge wire). For 12v solar systems it is much better to use heavier gauge wire, minimum 8-awg, 6-awg is better, neither of which will fit as you will be routing a positive and negative wire through.
    Aside from wire gauge, are there any other advantages or disadvantages to going with residential panels?
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Aside from wire gauge, are there any other advantages or disadvantages to going with residential panels?
    Yes, cost per watt is less expensive, higher voltage panels gets the most production from an MPPT controller, especially when the panels are wired in series which I have done since MPPT controllers like higher voltages and have the ability to convert the excess voltage to amps. As far as smaller wire gauge, the smaller wire gauge also translates to less cost since heavier wire gauges are more expensive, so while not necessarily a game changer, is an added benefit.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BB&LAB View Post
    You might contact AM Solar for help with a solar install. In addition to selling high quality components they do installs in their Springfield, OR
    . Thanks Bruce - this isn’t too far away at all and I was unsure how I could find a good installer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    . Thanks Bruce - this isn’t too far away at all and I was unsure how I could find a good installer.
    You are welcome, glad to help. FYI I have heard that AM Solar has space and allows folks having an install done to stay on their property in their own rig. If that is of help to you, you might inquire should you decide to go ahead with an install.
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123