Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow Truck for 310MKS

We recently bought a 2021 Grand Design 310MKS. Empty weight is 10,495 and GVWR is 13,995. I am looking at 2016 Dodge 2500 crew cab with a 6.4 liter Hemi engine and a 3.73 gear ratio. The listed towing weight is 12,761. Is this enough truck for my rig or do I need to keep looking? If so, what should I look for?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the family! Now you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Did you mean 320MKS? The numbers you quote match and I don't find a 310MKS on the GD web site.

Empty and published pin weights for the trailer aren't very useful. Nor are max towing capacities for the truck. It's all about loaded weights for the trailer and payload capacity for the truck in the case of fifth wheel RVs. Fully loaded, the 320MKS will put a little over 3,000 lbs. on the pin - that's the number you need to worry about. As for the engine, it depends on the terrain and distances you plan to travel. In the mountains, the engine braking of a diesel going downhill is as important as its torque for pulling uphill. On the flats, it's less of an issue. You can plug all the numbers in here and play around:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

Happy camping!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Welcome to the family! Now you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Did you mean 320MKS? The numbers you quote match and I don't find a 310MKS on the GD web site.

Empty and published pin weights for the trailer aren't very useful. Nor are max towing capacities for the truck. It's all about loaded weights for the trailer and payload capacity for the truck in the case of fifth wheel RVs. Fully loaded, the 320MKS will put a little over 3,000 lbs. on the pin - that's the number you need to worry about. As for the engine, it depends on the terrain and distances you plan to travel. In the mountains, the engine braking of a diesel going downhill is as important as its torque for pulling uphill. On the flats, it's less of an issue. You can plug all the numbers in here and play around:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

Happy camping!

Rob
    Rob has covered the weight and payload factors.
    I would hate to start down a steep hill or mountain with the configuration you have mentioned.
    Air brakes are a wonderful thing. Welcome to the forum.
    Just my opinion:
    Bob A.
    Last edited by attaboy; 03-24-2021 at 10:07 AM.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help, guys. It is indeed a 320MKS. I was in a hurry this morning when I wrote my question.
    I notice that the same truck with a 4.10 axle ratio is rated at towing about 15,600 lbs. Would this be better, or is it still not enough truck? Would a 2500-class truck with a diesel engine be sufficient? I really do not want to go to a 3500-class truck if I can avoid it.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jenkins View Post
    Thanks for the help, guys. It is indeed a 320MKS. I was in a hurry this morning when I wrote my question.
    I notice that the same truck with a 4.10 axle ratio is rated at towing about 15,600 lbs. Would this be better, or is it still not enough truck? Would a 2500-class truck with a diesel engine be sufficient? I really do not want to go to a 3500-class truck if I can avoid it.
    Dave, I'll repeat - it's not about towing capacity... it's about payload. Look for a truck that will have 3,400 lbs. payload left over after you install a hitch and load passengers and gear. In addition, you DON'T want a 2500/F250 diesel. The diesel power train is much heaver than gas and eats up the payload. There's not much difference in the cost of a 3/4- and 1-ton truck (SRW) as long as there aren't registration penalties in your state for the 1-ton. The 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks (again, SRW) are the same physical size.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 03-24-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried doing your calculator, Rob, but didn't understand all the terminology. I'll work on it some more.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I seem to be hearing here is that I need a 3500-class truck. But why? Some makes, at least, have the same bodies and chassis, even the same engine choices. What makes a 3500 better?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know about the brakes, but the suspension is more heavy duty on a 3500 than a 2500. The 3500 is designed to haul more weight. With a single rear wheel truck, you will most likely be over the rated payload after you get the truck and trailer loaded. You need a one ton dually diesel. Also, towing that weight, a gas engine will get 6-8 mpg, and be at high rpms to move it. Like many people on here have said, buy enough truck the first time, or you will be buying it the second time. Another plus for the diesel is that you get to use the truck fueling islands, instead of trying to jockey around cars trying to get to a gas pump.
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider