User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw Heads Popping Off

Cotton picking screw heads keep popping off. i've replaced 3 just recently. I've been just filling the hole then drill a new hole beside the old and using new stainless screws.
    How many have you had pop off?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2589.jpg  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None so far on the Solitude, but had several on the Reflection. In each case, there was corrosion in the remaining part of the screw indicating that water had gotten in behind the trim. I resealed the trim all along the top side with silicone.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one on my Solitude. My plan was to drill a tunnel in the shaft, remove it with a easy out but unable to make any progress drilling even with both titanium and when that failed cobalt drill bits. Ended up covering with Lexel caulking.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lost track on my Momentum, even the D ring screws in the garage popped off. So far only 1 on my Reflection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    None so far on the Solitude, but had several on the Reflection. In each case, there was corrosion in the remaining part of the screw indicating that water had gotten in behind the trim. I resealed the trim all along the top side with silicone.

Rob
    I didn't think about corrosion of the screw shank causing the head to pop off. I didn't pay much attention to looking in the hole at what was left of the screw, makes sense though. Some of the screws are in at an angle so I could see how water could wick past the head. I think on the trim pieces its happening too, I'll back out the factory screws and put some sealer behind them and retighten, then seal across the top of the trim.

As a side note, we had some torrential rains here. I was out inspecting the rig this morning and saw that under the bedroom slide the floor was damp along one of the edges. Got to look at that more closely. The schwintek lower gear rail is right along the bottom of the slide and "L" turns under the floor @ 1/4 inch, and I could see where water had run down the rail and wicked underneath the rail to the bedroom slide wood floor. Gotta stop that from happening again.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Lost track on my Momentum, even the D ring screws in the garage popped off. So far only 1 on my Reflection.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I have found several on my 351. Call Grand Design and told him they need to look at these Chinese screws and stop using them, because everyone I found was corroded in the center of the screw.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had 3 or 4 pop off. Drill, insert new screws, and caulk/putty the old.

Seems GD has a problem inserting the screws straight or just torques the fire out of them? IDK.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had inadvertently left the deck awning out and left. The wind flipped it up and took out all the rear acquisition light, plus ripped out several mounting screws. I got to looking at the broken screws and noticed they had broken because the were corroded in the shanks. Same ******** we’re all talking about. Better screws wouldn’t have stopped the damaged, but the damage exposed more corroded Chinese screws I otherwise wouldn’t have found.
    I saved them…..
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I first posted, I fixed the ones that broke, Put some sealer around the remaining screw heads. Haven't had any more heads pop. I had some screws on the fender plastic skirts back out, I also put some sealer on the screws and tightened them back up, seems to be holding them tight.

On the exterior of our bedroom slide floor, I have never been able to completely keep it from getting wet with some rain storms. Water will run down the lower schwintek gear tracks, then wick into the exterior bottom side of the bedroom floor. Doesn't happen often but with some storms / rain showers, it does get wet.