Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    One hundred percent why I shopped my best price and drove 1300 km
    I will never see my dealer again
    When I bought my Jayco I drove to Pennsylvania to get the best price
    Likely would have driven directly to Indiana this time if the border was open but got a great price

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    That is where I screwed up. I could have save $1500 more but didn't want to drive those distances for warranty work. I am kicking myself. There is no way I will ever go back to the dealer. Worst people ever.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCFAN View Post
    Wow that's horrible service.
    Fixed it for you. That's scummy service in any circumstance.

Hope the liar gets his comeuppance. @GRIFFIN1 you should copy this to Grand Design's sales manager... GD doesn't spend much time here anymore.
    Last edited by boyscout; 03-01-2021 at 06:11 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRIFFIN1 View Post
    It seemed like it took 30+ minutes for me to finally get him to stop trying to sell me an extended warranty. I must have said no like 50 times.
    I was buying a Momentum 25G

I think the price of the warranty was cut in half by the end of it.

He asked me what I would do if I had a flat and didn't have their tire warranty. I told him that I would put on the spare tire and buy a new tire from a tire store. He told me my trailer didn't have a spare. At the time, I didn't know this was BS, but there is a spare tire under the trailer.

He also told me that the trailer would look faded and chalky in one year if I didn't get their UV protection. UV protection sounds like a good idea, but I would be surprised if one year in the Texas sun would make my trailer look old and faded.

A few days after getting my trailer home, I realized that the electrical outlets in the kitchen were not working. I called the dealer to see about bringing it in for repairs and they told me they had a spot 4 months in the future. After informing them that it was a week old, they agreed to let me drop it off in a week. It took them 32 days to do the 1.5 hours of work that it took to fix the wiring issue. I will do my best to not have to return to the dealer in the future, so I'm really glad that I didn't buy a warranty that would require me to wait 4-5 months to get something fixed.

Everything seems fine with the trailer now.
    Yup, same thing happened to us when we bought our Solitude, the big sell on extended warranty. At least they didn't lie to us, like about the spare tire, I would have called them on that. Our RV dealership has a really bad service dept, I would never take it back there for service and I told them so. Oh, I did write a long letter to GD telling them how bad the GD dealership service dept was when we had our Imagine bought from the same dealership. Their reply was "incredible"!
    Its the same way with auto dealerships selling extended warranties. At least with the auto market you don't have to wait months for warranty service. In fact a lot of auto service depts in our old area are hurting for business, no takers, but that's because of their crazy parts prices and high service labor fees, and they lie just like the RV service departs. A RAM dealership wanted $1000 just for my first transmission fluid change, said only RAM fluid has to be used, told them to shove it and their lies!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our first RV was a different brand and we bought it at a dealer near us. Our issue wasn't an extended warranty sell. It was the original one year included warranty that was not dealt with right. The gel coat on the front cap was cracked when we bought it but we didn't notice it until I had brought it home and was waxing it for the first time. We made an appointment, took it to the dealer and it was there for 2 months before I started getting upset. When I called an inquired about it, I was met with a snippy response and told they were waiting for authorization from the manufacturer to fix it. We went and got our RV so we could use it and 10 months later the manufacturer gave them the ok to fix it. I brought it back, they hired some fly by night fiberglass guy to repair it and he did a terrible job. Drips and waves in the gel coat, didn't remove the graphics just taped them off and sprayed around them. It was a mess. We traded that RV in on our GD 311BHS and would never set foot on that other dealers property again even if they were giving us 50% off! You're not alone in the RV dealer nightmare boat but I'm happy to say the dealer we bought our GD from is awesome. Very attentive and they do nice work when needed.
    Last edited by RobWNY; 03-01-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real sorry to hear about the problems

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

Hope the liar gets his comeuppance. @GRIFFIN1 you should copy this to Grand Design's sales manager... GD doesn't spend much time here anymore.
    His comeuppance?

If he is making his dealership money which I guarantee he is they won’t care about anything negative and if they are selling lots of GD units GD won’t care
    It is possible for a company to make more money from the F&I office than the sales floor

I spent my career in the auto sales field. I know

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post

I agree with you, but we sometimes forget that the dealer is a "customer" of Grand Design. I doubt that GD frequently leans on a dealership to do one thing or another, because it's possible for that customer to drop the GD line. I'm sure they have competitive lines calling on them everyday trying to get business.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume the incentive for a dealer to be eager to do warranty work is good reimbursement and a RV line that sells well. If either is just run of the mill, the dealer will do as they wish. I don't see it that way in the automobile dealerships.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most RV dealers are like skeevy Auto dealers. Very few operate their business like most reputable auto dealers. And like with anything, there's exceptions to the rule.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I agree with you, but we sometimes forget that the dealer is a "customer" of Grand Design. I doubt that GD frequently leans on a dealership to do one thing or another, because it's possible for that customer to drop the GD line. I'm sure they have competitive lines calling on them everyday trying to get business.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume the incentive for a dealer to be eager to do warranty work is good reimbursement and a RV line that sells well. If either is just run of the mill, the dealer will do as they wish. I don't see it that way in the automobile dealerships.
    OTOH...

- There are ways that GD can and does make impressions on dealers without "leaning" on them. The dealer we bought from is TERRIBLE on service, but a couple of times my calls to GD seemed to get stalled things inching ahead again,

- GD product lines still carry a "premium product" reputation with premium pricing that not all dealers would lightly drop, and

- It's apparent that many if not most dealers consider that warranty work interferes with other more profitable service work - they have plenty of service work. Whether or not they're underpaid by manufacturers to do warranty work is another discussion. However I'm certain that you're not confusing purchased third-party warranties being discussed in this thread with either especially-profitable work for the dealer or good service for the customer. They are sold by dealers simply because they are extremely profitable to sell. Look at the story above - the dishonest rep was still pushing the warranty after he'd discounted the price by 50%... both his boss's profit and his own spif from selling it were all that mattered to him.

Ex-car-salesmen and apologists for them need not pile on. IMO the OP's experience is one that deserves his and my criticism, especially the dishonesty he related. I've been around a bit and have heard the apologists many times before thanks, won't change my opinion. Look at my username; opportunistic liars wherever they appear are pond scum IMO.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobWNY View Post
    Most RV dealers are like skeevy Auto dealers. Very few operate their business like most reputable auto dealers. And like with anything, there's exceptions to the rule.
    This is sadly true. RV dealers are two decades behind modern, reputable auto dealers in most regards, including ethics.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast