Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC 15 AMP Fuse Issue

I am having some trouble trying to diagnose why the DC 15 AMP fuse keeps blowing. I have narrowed the issue down to the scare light switch in the garage. When that switch is turned on the fuse blows. Anyone have advice on how I can begin to resolve this issue?

FYI - We are brand new to RV'ing and have only owned this rig for less than a week. This switch was working when the survey was performed.

Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sedonami View Post
    I am having some trouble trying to diagnose why the DC 15 AMP fuse keeps blowing. I have narrowed the issue down to the scare light switch in the garage. When that switch is turned on the fuse blows. Anyone have advice on how I can begin to resolve this issue?

FYI - We are brand new to RV'ing and have only owned this rig for less than a week. This switch was working when the survey was performed.

Thanks!
    That sounds like a short in the line somewhere after the fuse. If you have a volt meter, you can unscrew the switch from the wall, and check the voltage at the switch, before you turn it on (should be 12vdc). Then, get to one of the light assemblies, pull that down, and using the ohm (resistance) selection in the meter, touch the leads to the positive and negative sides, with the switch off. This SHOULD give you no reading, if it does give you a reading, like 0.00 ohms, then you have a short somewhere. Repeat with the rest of the lights.

Now comes the PITA part. Remove all the lights the switch controls and try flipping the switch. If the fuse blows, you now have to find where the positive wire is bare (rubbed through is my guess) and touching the frame or chassis. If it doesn't, then one of the lights is suspect. Put each one in and try it again.

I know this method will blow several fuses, but it's an easier way to find out what is causing the short.

Now, I'm assuming the switch controls just lights and not something mechanical, or something else (what that might be, I'm sorry, but I couldn't tell you).

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. I went up with a ladder to look at how I might get the lights down, they are under the rear awning and are caulked in with silicone. Is there an easier way (that I can't see) to get the lights out without removing the entire light assembly?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the light I'm referring to. I can't seem to find any information on the light bulbs or how to replace them.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/31206

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. I went up with a ladder to look at how I might get the lights down, they are under the rear awning and are caulked in with silicone. Is there an easier way (that I can't see) to get the lights out without removing the entire light assembly?
    Wait, it's the awning light? The strip of LED lights under the awning? If that is the case, then at either end, there should be two wires, red and black, and a white connector. It's possible the connector is in the wall. You will have to trace the wire and find it. You might also want to look at the wire there and see if the awning arm pinched it, that might be where your short is.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the light I'm referring to. I can't seem to find any information on the light bulbs or how to replace them.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/31206
    Got it! The cover should just pry off, there should be two screws, one in each end. Now, I'm going based on what I see in the picture, which isn't much. If there is caulk around the edges (which there should be), you should also see a seam where the light cover comes apart.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, so I will need to cut through the caulking to pull the entire light off to get to it. Thanks for confirming! I'll give this a shot tomorrow as I've lost the light.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, so I will need to cut through the caulking to pull the entire light off to get to it. Thanks for confirming! I'll give this a shot tomorrow as I've lost the light.
    Quite possibly, although, I would look carefully at the light and see if there is a cover that will pry or pop off. Maybe the lens? It's possible it is an LED light, so there would not be any bulbs to change. If it is held on by screws, make sure you have a square drive bit for them; a Phillips will work in a pinch though.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do your scare lights work when the truck is in reverse? If they work and dont blow the fuse, I dont know if it's worth taking the lights out. It could be something as simple as a wire strand on the backside of the switch touching something else.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Do your scare lights work when the truck is in reverse? If they work and dont blow the fuse, I dont know if it's worth taking the lights out. It could be something as simple as a wire strand on the backside of the switch touching something else.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    That's a great suggestion! I was traveling yesterday so haven't had an opportunity to look at this further. I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Edit:
    Yesterday was the first time I backed the rig in, one of the things I noticed when we got power hooked up was that the 15 AMP fuse was blown. I can't rule out one of the kids flipping "the switch" so I'll double check.
    Last edited by sedonami; 04-03-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast