User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a second barrel lock keyed to my single Global link key, pulled out the two thumb screws moved the center barrel lock to the outside position, installed the new barrel lock in the other outside position and used one of the thumb screws in the middle position. Cheap and easy and adds a bit more security to the front hatch. If someone was determined to get in, still going to happen.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take on this is that if someone wants in to that compartment, a screwdriver or small flat crowbar will pop the thing open, regardless of the lock. In fact, high security in any camper is an illusion. The only thing the locks stop is the owner from worrying as much about theft. Fiberglass, foam lining and gel coat do not a secure situation make.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Debbie Downer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Debbie Downer!

Yeah - I know. And the further truth is that if what's in the living spaces (computers, TV's, Sat receivers, jewelry, etc) is more important than what's in that front compartment you're trying to secure, you are really going to stay awake at night because that entry door can be popped by a kid with a screwdriver. Locks slow down the amateurs and don't even phase the pros. By the way, do you use a pin lock? That's one RV lock that is extremely effective (at least on a fiver) - usually very hard to default and at least they can't grab the whole camper.

The comforting news is that campers in general aren't thieves, there's usually plenty of folks around to see what's going on and in most campgrounds we've stayed in, I've thought nothing about leaving stuff outside. Over the years, there have been very few "slimy" campgrounds we've stayed in and those were only for a quick overnight stop.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yea we use this, designed for big rigs, a lot of truckers recommend it:

https://war-lok.com/product/king-pin-lock/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Product Link Please.

Quote Originally Posted by 82alaska View Post
    Will today I installed an additional lock on my front compartment. I know this little mod isn't going to keep out someone who really wants in there, but it made me feel a bit better. The only other thing is I now have to use 2 keys to get into that compartment. But the new lock is a Bauer brand do maybe I can have it re-keyed to match. This is a camper shell lock with locking bars. I bought the 72"set of bars and a lock handle that doesn't protrude as much as the regular T handles you see on most camper shells. My opening was 60"so after figuring that the throw off the lock bars was 3/4", I cut the bars down to 61.5"at max extension. I drilled the handle mounting holes, put in the handle, then attached the bars and drilled holes for the sliding bar guides. I used Stainless steel machine screws to mount. Once done I tried the lock and found that I needed to stand off the bar guides by 3/16" in order for the bars to get behind the door frame. So those came off, some washers went on, and everything was reattached and viola, it works.
    I'm happy with the modification, it was less than$30.00, and it gives me a bit of price of mind that my$1000's of dollars of inverter, batteries, and solar charge controller will be a tad safer.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You could probably just Google “Camper shell lock.”

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soccer dad, the link is still at the top of the post.
    Have fun

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Scott & Glenda
    2017 Solitude 300 GK
    2018 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4x4 CrewCab SRW Denali
    DEMCO Hitchhiker 18K Autoslide
    Air Lift 5000+ air bags with onboard wireless-one compressor, Retrax bed cover

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take on this is that if someone wants in...
    When my son was 14 and struggling to get homework completed, I unplugged the cable TV feed to his room and locked the cable box with a 3 ring combo lock.
    Weeks later I saw cable was back on in his room. He admitted it took less than 5 minutes to reach 4-8-6 on the lock starting at 0-0-0.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Upgrade the front compartment lock on 5er?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkDeb View Post
    When my son was 14 and struggling to get homework completed, I unplugged the cable TV feed to his room and locked the cable box with a 3 ring combo lock.
    Weeks later I saw cable was back on in his room. He admitted it took less than 5 minutes to reach 4-8-6 on the lock starting at 0-0-0.

Unlikely. As there are 1000 possible combinations with a 3 digit combination lock. I’d say he knew your code or found it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast