Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank Valve Leakage

There have been several threads regarding the use of the Valterra Twist-On Waste valve, so I assume a lot of us are experiencing the same problem. I can remove the 3" cap on the end of my PVC drain pipe and I'm greeted with enough sewage that it's significant. This tells me the blade valve at the tank is not completely closing. Has anyone dropped the underbelly and been successful in repairing this issue?

I realize the Valterra valve will solve this issue, but there are times I would like to drain the gray water without draining the black water tank. Since both tanks join at a "Y" in the drain pipe, the twist on valve would not allow me to do this without still experiencing the sewage loss.

Has anyone considered re-plumbing the drain pipe to separate into 2 drains: one 3" discharge pipe for the gray water and a separate 3" discharge pipe for the black water?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a valve issue, it's the way the plumbing is designed. There isnt enough pitch in the manifold, so when the camper is level, fluid remains in the pipe. I've replaced 2 of my valves for other reasons and still have the excess fluid leftover. I also use the twist on valve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting and thank you for the info. How did you determine that fluid was remaining in the pipe? I'm going to do some experimenting by tilting the trailer and see if mine is doing the same.

As I stated, I know the twist on valve would solve the overall problem. I would just like to be able to discharge the grey water (using a cap and garden hose) without having to worry about dumping sewage.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a clear sewer elbow, when I get to a camp site or dump station I open the twist on valve first and always have something come out.

When I replaced my valves I filled the tanks with water for a leak check and didnt see any water leaking by the valve.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Interesting and thank you for the info. How did you determine that fluid was remaining in the pipe? I'm going to do some experimenting by tilting the trailer and see if mine is doing the same.

As I stated, I know the twist on valve would solve the overall problem. I would just like to be able to discharge the grey water (using a cap and garden hose) without having to worry about dumping sewage.
    It is the same on our Solitude as @FT4NOW said. I had the same problem. I dumped all my tanks, closed all three tank valves and drove for 300 miles to next site. Without opening any valves, I opened the sewer cap and got "suttf". Camped for 4 days (tanks about 1/4 full) and again without opening the tank valves I opened the cap. Dry (ok, got a couple of drops). Drove to next camp. Without opening any valves, I opened the sewer cap and got nothing. Camped 4 or 5 more days. Tanks >1/2 full. Again without opening the tank valves I opened the cap. Dry. Dumped tanks. Drove to next camp and again, without opening any valves, I opened the sewer cap and got "suttf".

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a pattern. I am glad to know I don't have valve issues. Had to work on previous trailer and repairing valve on black tank is no fun.....as you know.

I wonder, if when dumping, you put a 2X8 under both tires opposite the drain would this elevate the trailer enough to promote better evacuation of the drain pipe? Maybe even 2 of the boards.

I'm definitely going to do some experimenting with fresh water (and a clean black tank) in my driveway.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have this unpleasant surprise-sewage-at-the-cap problem too; a lot of people do.

How do I know the unpleasant surprises don't come through the valves on the tanks?

An easy experiment. A couple of times after dumping I left the cap off with a pail beneath for hours, not a drop. However after we moved to the next site...

Further, some time later we parked for the summer months at a place without sewers. We used the trailer sporadically; 2-3 days here and there. The campground sent a honey wagon around every Wednesday to pump out the trailer; usually we weren't there. We once returned and used the trailer for a couple of days before discovering they'd left the cap off the last time they pumped out. No sign of any leakage.

Re: tilting the trailer, by all means try it on yours but I tilted ours up, down, and even once to the side before several departures and still had fluid and sometimes solids waiting for me at the next stop.

I got the Valterra valve when we were about to leave that long-term site. They have now doubled in price (at Amazon, at least) and have been mostly out-of-stock for months; lotta new trailer owners out there. If you're using the trailer during the coming months I recommend you start looking and watching now; it's pretty much the only easy solution to this issue.

CAUTION: Scummy Amazon has begun hiding the twist-on valve that they can't keep in stock and prominently displaying another Valterra valve that doesn't twist on, has to be mounted with extra work and/or parts. You want the twist-on.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that on Amazon. The cheaper ones are slip to slip fittings. I'm in no hurry. I'll just watch over the coming months and pick one up when the price comes down. I'm just curious why all the new RV owners are driving the demand up. Are all trailer manufactures installing drain pipes like GD? I've owned a lot of trailers and never needed the external twist on valve.

I still really would like to return to the old days when all the valves were at the end of the drain pipe. I guess it was just too simple, and did not provide work for the service departments!

As to tilting the trailer you bring up an interesting point. The drain pipe may not be oriented side to side. It may run from back to front. I'll play with it a little and see what happens. Just glad to get this info and I can plan ahead now.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that on Amazon. The cheaper ones are slip to slip fittings. I'm in no hurry. I'll just watch over the coming months and pick one up when the price comes down. I'm just curious why all the new RV owners are driving the demand up. Are all trailer manufactures installing drain pipes like GD? I've owned a lot of trailers and never needed the external twist on valve.

I still really would like to return to the old days when all the valves were at the end of the drain pipe. I guess it was just too simple, and did not provide work for the service departments!

As to tilting the trailer you bring up an interesting point. The drain pipe may not be oriented side to side. It may run from back to front. I'll play with it a little and see what happens. Just glad to get this info and I can plan ahead now.
    Our first GD trailer - a 2018 Reflection - didn't have the problem; our current one has it in spades. I dunno about other manufacturers but the problem appears somewhat frequently in this and the other GD forum. It's a design and/or build error.

Here's a link to the twist-on valve you want at Amazon. You might find it other places.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I simply repeated common speculation about why the valve has lately become so scarce, but a spike in trailer sales seems like a good guess. Supply chain problems for Valterra might be an issue too.

BTW when replying to a post here it's almost always best to use the Reply With Quote link at the lower right of the message you're responding to. It copies text of the original message into your reply (you can edit it down there if you want to) and it also sends notification to the other person that you have responded to their post. If there's no point at all in including the previous text - and that's rare - you can draw the other person's attention by mentioning them in your post. Use the @ symbol with their username, as in @dryfly.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Our first GD trailer - a 2018 Reflection - didn't have the problem; our current one has it in spades. I dunno about other manufacturers but the problem appears somewhat frequently in this and the other GD forum. It's a design and/or build error.

Here's a link to the twist-on valve you want at Amazon. You might find it other places.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I simply repeated common speculation about why the valve has lately become so scarce, but a spike in trailer sales seems like a good guess. Supply chain problems for Valterra might be an issue too.

BTW when replying to a post here it's almost always best to use the Reply With Quote link at the lower right of the message you're responding to. It copies text of the original message into your reply (you can edit it down there if you want to) and it also sends notification to the other person that you have responded to their post. If there's no point at all in including the previous text - and that's rare - you can draw the other person's attention by mentioning them in your post. Use the @ symbol with their username, as in @dryfly.

Good luck.
    I usually quote if there's a lot of messages in a thread but if sequential conversation posts I often forget. I did not think about the email notification.

I've seen that Valterra valve around for years, just never had a need for one. I'll bet it's a supply issue. Just can't imagine why new trailer owners would automatically add one since most trailers function well with the factory supplied valve. CW has them in stock for a few less dollars but I'll wait a while.

Really since this is a permanent problem, gluing in a slip to slip valve on the end of the drain pipe may be the best solution. I think those valves can be rebuilt where the twist-on I assume are sealed ???? There is another thread going on regarding the valve and I may throw that idea out to see if anyone has considered.

Did you secure your twist-on valve with anything?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast